Adventist Online

Did Jesus's parents really neglet Him? ...... at his first passover when they had to return and found him among the so call scholars of the day. So what about Jesus did he really neglected John while he was imprisoned what do you think?

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Grandmother in Christ and I were speaking about this.

Imagine this, you are at a Major event which everyone in your culture attends. There are probably countless, church friends and relatives with you during this journey - members of your synagogue and your friend's synagogues etc. Just like Camp meeting. I think that it was probably normal during this long journey to and from Jerusalem for kids to spend much time away from their parents. I am in youth ministry and I can testify that parents feel very comfortable leaving their children in my care and in the care of other youth leaders. The parents from what I read expected Jesus to be with their family members and friends - to be in the company.

Luke 2:43-45: "And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it. But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day's journey; and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance. And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him. "

Another example would be your parents not being able to find you at a family reunion. If you have a huge family and there are about 300 persons there, your parents are not going to watch you every second. If something happens - you are among family and the "village that raises a child" will take care of the problem and tell the parents accordingly. I know that this is true of my family in Haiti (they live in the mountains of Beaumont and Mouline - some in Coreil). The community becomes the extended eyes of the parents. This is how I treat my church kids - I am assisting the parents in their awesome task of representing Christ to their children.

So - no I do not think that Jesus' parents neglected Him, I think they were in a culture in which the community really did function as parent helpers.

I will leave the second part of your question to someone else :-)
According to The Desire of Ages Chap. 8 The Passover visit yes They neglected Him
  • Below are Abstracts from The Desire of Ages.
  • Meanwhile Joseph and Mary were in great perplexity and distress. In the departure from Jerusalem they had lost sight of Jesus, and they knew not that He had tarried behind. The country was then densely populated, and the caravans from Galilee were very large. There was much confusion as they left the city. On the way the pleasure of traveling with friends and acquaintances absorbed their attention, and they did not notice His absence till night came on. Then as they halted for rest, they missed the helpful hand of their child. Supposing Him to be with their company, they had felt no anxiety. Young as He was, they had trusted Him implicitly, expecting that when needed, He would be ready to assist them, anticipating their wants as He had always done. But now their fears were roused. They searched for Him throughout their company, but in vain. Shuddering they remembered how Herod had tried to destroy Him in His infancy. Dark forebodings filled their hearts. They bitterly reproached themselves.
  • In the answer to His mother, Jesus showed for the first time that He understood His relation to God. Before His birth the angel had said to Mary, "He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto Him the throne of His ather David: and He shall reign over the house of Jacob forever." Luke 1:32, 33. These words Mary had pondered in her heart; yet while she believed that her child was to be Israel's Messiah, she did not comprehend His mission. Now she did not understand His words; but she knew that He had disclaimed kinship to Joseph, and had declared His Sonship to God.
  • If Joseph and Mary had stayed their minds upon God by meditation and prayer, they would have realized the sacredness of their trust, and would not have lost sight of Jesus. By one day's neglect they lost the Saviour; but it cost them three days of anxious search to find Him. So with us; by idle talk, evilspeaking, or neglect of prayer, we may in one day lose the Saviour's presence, and it may take many days of sorrowful search to find Him, and regain the peace that we have lost.
    Now regarding John Jesus didn't neglect John as a matter of fact when John was rotting in prison, he kind of doubted the Messiah who he had proclaimed before "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the World.
  • The Desire of Ages says And now the question, "Art Thou He that should come?" It was keenly bitter and disappointing to human nature. If John, the faithful forerunner, failed to discern Christ's mission, what could be expected from the self-seeking multitude?
    The Saviour did not at once answer the disciples' question. As they stood wondering at His silence, the sick and afflicted were coming to Him to be healed. The blind were groping their way through the crowd; diseased ones of all classes, some urging their own way, some borne by their friends, were eagerly pressing into the presence of Jesus. The voice of the mighty Healer penetrated the deaf ear. A word, a touch of His hand, opened the blind eyes to behold the light of day, the scenes of nature, the faces of friends, and the face of the Deliverer. Jesus rebuked disease and banished fever. His voice reached the ears of the dying, and they arose in health and vigor. Paralyzed demoniacs obeyed His word, their madness left them, and they worshiped Him. While He healed their diseases, He taught the people. The poor peasants and laborers, who were shunned by the rabbis as unclean, gathered close about Him, and He spoke to them the words of eternal life.

• Thus the day wore away, the disciples of John seeing and hearing all. At last Jesus called them to Him, and bade them go and tell John what they had witnessed, adding, "Blessed is he, whosoever shall find none occasion of stumbling in Me." Luke 7:23, R. V. The evidence of His divinity was seen in its adaptation to the needs of suffering humanity. His glory was shown in His condescension to our low estate.
  • John had done his work, he had paved the way for the savior and now the savior was on the top, so what was remaining for John was to die and wait for his crown of salvation. It made no sense for him to get out of prison miraculously and then just follow Jesus who by the way by this time Jesus had already chosen his disciples. So John's work was done.
I believe Mary and John had neglected Jesus....but was this neglect a part of fulfiling any prophesy? I do wonder
Jesus' parents were taken up with the company of their friends that they did not realise that Jesus was not with them until after three days. The point is, that Jesus knew what his mission and purpose on earth was because it was his mother who was responsible for his indoctrination along the way. It was indeed parents neglect and I wonder sometimes if it is not the same with us. We are coming to church yes, but we are taken up with so many other issues that we might just loose our children along the way. We have to learn to forget the "noise" around us and maintain our focus.
The idea that it took 3 days for Mary and Joseph to realize Jesus was missing has always disturbed me. It wasn't until I re-read the verses carefully just a few years ago that I realized it was only a day (possibly only a long, wearisome afternoon) that he had been missing.

Luke 2:43-45: "And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it. But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day's journey; and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance. And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him. "

It was a full three days until they were able to find him again, but it was only a single day that had passed when they realized he was no where to be found.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2016   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service