Adventist Online

Paul says, "They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer."

I believe though that as Seventh-day Adventists we are correct in following the dietary laws given through Moses in Leviticus because Jesus says, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." Matthew 5:17 but if we are to believe Paul when he tells us, " 1All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." then there is a contradiction. As a Seventh-day Adventist it is a non issue for me but then how can we explain the requirements of our diet when 1 Timothy seems to say the exact opposite?

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Denise,

When it comes to health and diet it really should be a no-brainer for SDA to accept the health message. The reason say this is because medical science and clinical reasearch are proving it to be true more and more every day. On my desk, as I type this, is a diabetic 'Patient Education Manuel' for teaching the diabetic patient how to deal with diabetes. It is interesting to note that the first capter is devoted to "Changing Behavior." This is just one example and there are many. The basic health message that has been given to the SDA Church is applicable in the vast majority of medical problems and their prevention. I could write a great deal more but time doesn't premit at the moment.

Respectfully, your brother in Christ,
Doc
Thank you for your reply but I think you are misunderstanding my question. I don't have any doubts about our health message BUT how can we teach it to others when these verses seemingly contradict each other. I'm not saying we shouldn't teach others but when we interact with Sunday believers who know the Bible as well, they pull out passages like this to contradict our health message. My question lliterally is, in that kind of situation how do we teach the laws of Levitiucs.
See also, Titus 1:15
Right on Doc.

dear Denise, I Tim. does not teach the exact opposite... it is simply a case of misunderstanding what the Holy Spirit has said through the apostle Paul. It is only an apparent contradiction. :) The stomach of the Jew is no different than your stomach or my stomach and if we will not refrain from certain foods for conscience sake, for what we eat affects our intellectual powers and spiritual discernment, we should at least do it for stomach sake.

sky
Thank you for your reply but I think you are misunderstanding my question. I don't have any doubts about our health message BUT how can we teach it to others when these verses seemingly contradict each other. I'm not saying we shouldn't teach others but when we interact with Sunday believers who know the Bible as well, they pull out passages like this to contradict our health message. My question lliterally is, in that kind of situation how do we teach the laws of Levitiucs.
See also, Titus 1:15
We have to first understand what exactly is being discussed in this text Denise :-)

Is it talking about unclean meat or food sacrificed to idols?

The context of the text when understood helps us to show that this is not a "permission to eat pork".

Have you studied this out for yourself fully?

Mark
Hi Denise,

To address your question... what I tend to say is along the lines of the following:

When we buy a car it comes with the manufacturer's manual to tell you how to treat the vehicle to get the longest and best life out of it. If it is a diesel-powered car I know that if I put petrol in it I will ruin the engine because the manufacturer tells me exactly that. If I put petrol in it whilst it is under warranty I will void the warranty.

When the warranty period is over it is up to me how I treat the car. If I want to put petrol, water or lime juice in the tank, I can but I will suffer the consequences - usually a broken vehicle that will take a lot of time and trouble to fix. So, it seems both logical and sensible to stick to the manufacturer's recommendations for how I treat the car.

So... if we say that the Israelite nation was the car under warranty, they were given specific instructions on what fuel to use. Now, in the Christian era, the "vehicle" is out of warranty so we can treat it as we want as there is no warranty-penalty attached. Being given that choice does not, however, nullify the manufacturer's instructions - it just removed the penalty. If you want to ignore the manufacturer (God)'s instructions you can but perhaps it would be a lot wiser to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for a long and trouble-free life.

Hopefully this will allow you to introduce God's Healthcare plan for His people. I know that this does not directly address the verse you have quoted but it is a way of opening the subject without having to be (in their eyes) Levitical about it.

Hope this helps.
because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.
What's the word of God? It is what the Lord God said, and from the beginning God didn't intend man to freely partake of unclean foods, the main course of diet for man was every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. Gen 1:29
And that's the health message!
I'm gonna look at it again in context cuz I remember this explanation which I want to verify as well that some people will teach to abstain from marriage and all food, to watch out for these. We don't teach that food is bad, only that it is wiser to stick to a certain diet that God originally gave anyway. Again, I can't recall where or why I remember that so I want to read it again, if any know what I kind of remember feel free to fill in but I think its a warning to watch out for those who condemn food and marriage, both God given things, and say that its something we need to stay away from.

The Update: .... lol

Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. -1 Timothy 4:3-5

Meat was used interchangeably with food. It means the same thing. Look at Genesis 1:29:
And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

Its known to all that seeds and fruits are not flesh foods, as meat implies.. meat is used here as general food as well. So this verse like I mentioned b4 is about those who teach to stay away from eating food generally, probably using a twisted idea of fasting.
I think the key here is the phrase, "which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving".

Some "meats" were given to us as food, some God said specifically were not good as food but had been created for another purpose.

Hope this helps.
Thats part of it, but I would say the key is the entire thing. This is talking about a group or people who forbid these things. This verse does not refer to SDAs and our health message. Many of us may (all should) abstain from meat, and we share our knowledge about how meat is not the ideal diet, but this verse does not apply to us. This verse does not say the opposite or contradict our message either. That was the question. Forbidding marriage and food goes hand in hand in this description. God gave both, both are good. We don't forbid either.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service