Adventist Online

What do you all say about an adventist marry to a non-adventist? Can anyone say something? About..how is how...what is what...etc..etc.

Views: 231

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Why are you stressing what others say as not being important ACNF63? Every statement uttered from another's lips is worth something brother. Might as well we all shut up then and say nothing.
That's not what I meant, brother. If we utter things according to the Bible and back it up with Bible support, then it is worth considering. Any thing uttered which is not according to the Bible and cannot be supported by the Bible is worth nothing or even harmful.

http://www.adventistreview.org/2004-1503/story1.html
The Bible has many things to say on the topic of marriage. One of the guidelines is found in 2 Corinthians 6:14, 15, which states, "Do not be mismatched with unbelievers. . . . What does a believer share with an unbeliever?" (NRSV). This is not to say that all non-Adventists are unbelievers. Instead, it is a warning not to marry someone with totally different values. Imagine an obscure religion in which one of the commandments is to kill a beaver on the night before each full moon in order to be saved. It would be safe to say that a member of that religion better not marry an animal activist. Obviously, this example is ridiculously extreme, but it can cause as much tension if one partner is a Sabbathkeeper and the husband or wife does not see the importance of Sabbath. How will they resolve the conflict each weekend? Even more important, whose values will they use to raise their children?

Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. Ephesians 4:29 (NLT)
So, in your example here, in what sense is a non-Sabbathkeeper a believer?
I was reading this. Some interesting comments-thank you for sharing them. :) One thought i had was that, even though we read these things, we maybe should be careful about not judging or coming across as condemning to others who have already stepped through and gotten married in such relationships...
I once heard one Adventist pastor say something like, "you don't unscramble scrambled eggs"... Sometimes, do you think, that after we read something, or gain knowledge on something, rather than just take it for ourselves, we go to those who really can't do much about it now,and almost "hit them over the head" with it? I guess that is just the one thing, again, I want to be careful about.
I agree to that, Karen. It would not do any good to go and try to break up a family after the fact. That would only make things so much worse! God is in the business of restoration! He can use the converted spouse to reach the unconverted spouse. But what about the couples who are dating and considering marriage? It is so much better to cut off the relationship now than to go with it and be sorry and not be able to go back on what you chose. Prevention is the best medicine! Marriage is a very serious thing that will affect us now and through out eternity! Let us be very prayerful and consider what the Bible says and get counsel before hand. My pastor does counseling and he told us in one of his recent sermons that the young people who come in are often so in love that they will go on with it and get married no matter what the counselor or family says because they are blinded by "love" and emotions at the time. When that wears away they realize that they made a mistake! Mabey it would be well to have counseling before you fall in love that far! Just some thoughts.
I agree with you Karen...the burden one's carrying is heavier than those who are eagerly looking and 'monitoring' the progress and with the question: "will this marriage survive?"...
Well, guess what, im seriosly being tempted with such an offer. But you know what, it is not an attractive offer especially since im so convinced that it is better that people marry from the same faith. It eases a lot of tension in the relationship. One is free to share his/her believes without trying hard not to hurt their spouse feelings or start a defensive argument. When God said we should not be unequally yoked with unbelievers, it was from His infinite wisdom and to me, an unbeliever is one who does not share the same beliefs with me as far as the Bible is concerned, not necessarily one who does not believe in God- for that im in no position to judge.
Especially for ladies, compromise easily sets in when trying to make our husbands happy, so i do not desire at all to marry a non adventist. My greatest desire is to make heaven and see Jesus and any thing i feel might hinder me, i will avoid.
However, im not saying it is not possible for an adventist to marry a non adventist and still be happy and finaly make heaven. The important thing is what God says and our personal convictions about the wisdom of His Word.
I have seen so many Adventist who married nonadventist and felt they could remain true to the faith but today they are unable to do so. So really i would advice that as an adventist marry within the faith. God help us all.
Well, based on the things I've seen here in my place, it is not a guarantee that you'll have a successful marriage if Both of you are adventist. There are still relationships being wasted even if they are both adventists. However, what is good when the both of you have the same faith, you tend to stick with each other. Because both of you know the sacredness of your marriage. You still try to work things out.

I'm not yet married but definitely I would want to have an Adventist man. I've always pray that my partner would be someone who would bring me to heaven. That's why I would rather choose a man who would help me with that prayer of mine than to waste my time on a person whe would lead me to destruction!
Well, based on the things I've seen here in my place, it is not a guarantee that you'll have a successful marriage if Both of you are adventist. There are still relationships being wasted even if they are both adventists. However, what is good when the both of you have the same faith, you tend to stick with each other. Because both of you know the sacredness of your marriage. You still try to work things out.

I'm not yet married but definitely I would want to have an Adventist man. I've always pray that my partner would be someone who would bring me to heaven. That's why I would rather choose a man who would help me with that prayer of mine than to waste my time on a person whe would lead me to destruction!

i love the bible. It discourages marrying someone of another faith but it also show Gods love being manifested even when we stray.

My father is not a SDA. My mom married him and all of us children are SDA's but she disobeyed she is happy we can see .i will like to marry a man like my father but i know my mom misses him at church functions.
But we should always obey rather than sacrifice. What i don't understand is that we marry two non adventist but we cannot marry an adventist and a non adventist.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service