Adventist Online

There is this movement within the church now about witnessing to Muslims and with this idea that we worship the same God. The thought is based on the fact that the Qur'an has a link to the God of Abraham, Moses, Joseph and also talked about Jesus even though it deny the sonship.
The Bible says in 1John 22, 23 "Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son. Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father either; he who acknowledges the Son has the Father also. How then can we reconcile this fact with the idea that we worship the same God with the Muslims?

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your last statement may be true, that they may be misinformed as to who God is and therefor have a very different idea from what we have. Two different descriptions of the same person does not make them different people, I agree. I kno there is only one God, a trinity, but one God still. For the record, I do not believe the qua'ran, I rely on the Bible alone.

I believe Jesus is God. (Isaiah 9:6 - For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.)

They believe Jesus to be a profit, not the son of God much less God. So, if they do not worship Jesus, who is God, who is it they worship?

Its not that unlikely that the god they worship is entirely a different something else, for whatever reason they may have come to believe what they do. The question was if we worshiped the same God. I for now acknowledge that they may jus have the wrong info.. but the part around them not acknowledging Jesus as God still really does it for me.
Like I said elsewhere, we have to start with the God they know and change their view of Him, then bring in His Son.

The fact that they do not know who Jesus is does not mean that they will be lost forever, only that they do not understand God the Father (Allah). Ellen White reminds us that there are lots of people who will be in heaven who have never even heard of Jesus. They do not now Him, nor worship Him, but He still loves them and wants them to be in heaven.

Blessings
I am aware of who the god they kno is. Believe me, it does not resemble our God.

It is very hard to change their view due to their strong tradition, strong family ties, etc. I have spent considerable time learning about them. However I mentioned I think its a great idea to share what we know. When I get to find myself in that situation with a muslim to discuss this topic I will definitely have to pray about it.

I never mentioned they would be lost. That wasn't the question. I understand many ppl will be in Heaven who did not all worship God like we do. I would be very, very careful to say ppl who do not worship Jesus will still be in Heaven. Ellen G. White did say something to the effect of ppl who worship differently, or according to the light they had in their generation I would say. I dont remember her mentioning those who did not worship Jesus being in Heaven tho.

Matthew 10:32-33
32Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
33But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

I don't pretend to kno who will be in Heaven, who will not, but w/o Jesus? I dont see it possible. I'd like to see where Ellen G. White says what you have passed on.
The verses you have quoted tell me that what Jesus did for this earth is what will save each person who will be saved. Yes, if we deny Jesus, especially when we know who He is, we will be denied before the Father. What EGW says below does not contradict these verses from the Bible. Jesus has made a way of escape for all people, even those who have never even heard of Jesus.

Here are a couple of quotes I found right away:

Wherever there is an impulse of love and sympathy, wherever the heart reaches out to bless and uplift others, there is revealed the working of God's Holy Spirit. In the depths of heathenism men who have had no knowledge of the written law of God, who have never even heard the name of Christ, have been kind to His servants, protecting them at the risk of their own lives. Their acts show the working of a divine power. The Holy Spirit has implanted the grace of Christ in the heart of the savage, quickening his sympathies contrary to his nature, contrary to his education. . . . {ML 237.2}

The Lord is able to raise up true believers among those who have never heard his name. "Think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father; for I say unto you that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham." {ST, July 7, 1887 par. 4}

I believe that there is a more direct statement someplace, but have not found it yet. This does tell me though that Jesus is in the "saving souls" business and that He will save all honest-hearted humans no matter if they have heard of Him or not.

Acts 17:30
And the times of this ignorance God winked at...

Does God no longer "wink"?
I agree w/ all that.. God can call and inspire anyone He wants. Jesus did do things for us on this earth, but still the only way to Heaven is through Jesus, thats it. No plan b. Again I agree ppl who have never heard of God can do His work.

Isaiah 41:9
You whom I have taken from the ends of the earth, And called from its farthest regions, And said to you, ‘ You are My servant, I have chosen you and have not cast you away:

I believe there is a way things should be done, for those of us who have heard of Jesus and His word. A lot of Muslims have heard of Jesus and kno what He did. Whatever they choose to believe after is on them..

John 4:23
But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him

Mark 7:7
And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

Remember I am trying to stick with if we worship the same God (with all from before). I agree with everything you last posted. I am very sure there will be ppl in Heaven that will have some ppl like "how they get here?" And that'll be a great experience.
I guess I thought we were talking about the original question of "are we worshiping the same God" even though I did not bring that question up in each reply.

You said, "I am aware of who the god they kno is. Believe me, it does not resemble our God." That is exactly what I am saying. They believe that they know Him, but they do not know Him really. I believe that we worship the same God even though they don't know what He stands for.

Kind of like if I know that Mr. Bush is our President and because of what I have heard I think of him as wanting us to kill all those who do not believe as I do. You also know that Mr. Bush is President because of what you have heard, but what you have also heard is that he wants each of us to quit killing each other and begin to love each other. Later you and I come to find out that at lease one of us had been partially lied to, if not totally lead astray.

Have you and I been believing in the same person as President though? Sure. Were we both right? Not even close. What made the difference? We believed what we had been told rather than finding out the truth.

Their Allah and our Heavenly Father are the same being, IMO, but we have totally different ideas of who He is because of what we have been taught and what we have read.

You also seem to be misunderstanding what I am saying about Jesus being the ONLY way to heaven. You said, "Jesus did do things for us on this earth, but still the only way to Heaven is through Jesus, thats it." I agree whole heartedly! Jesus IS the only way. I just think that how you have been taught to understand that comment/verse is may not be totally correct. It is my belief that many Christians have looked at these verses wrong and therefore do not all those who don't call on the name of Jesus to enter heaven.
It seems fairly obvious to me that the spirit who came to Muhammad and dictated the Qu'ran was of Satan. He mixed truth with error, as the devil always has. He fed them just enough truth so they would accept it (since Muhammad had studied Judaism and Christianity). However, you will notice he contradicted some of the main doctrines about Christ, whom the devil absolutely despises and tried to destroy. He said that Christ was just a human and that He never did really die. Therefore, there is no death and no resurrection, both of which the NT places at the very core of the gospel.

Satan doesn't care how much else people believe-- as long as they reject the Deity, death and resurrection of Christ.
Great post, Danny K. I agree with everything you say here. God bless all true Christians who attempt to reach the Muslims. God loves them and wants them in His Kingdom. But that means teaching them who Jesus Christ really is and also showing them from the Bible the truth about Allah. It is a much different view from the way the Qu'ran portrays Him, but we can show these differences wisely, patiently, and lovingly. I am convinced that there are millions of Muslims wanting to know the truth. We just have to ask God to show us how to reach them and then be open to His leading. He will do it.
I have followed with keen interest the responses of all who had post in one contribution or the other. I have enjoyed every bit of it and our thoughts have been provoked to bring out some things that had been lying still within us. I was born and Muslim but had been a preacher and pastor for the past 14 and half years now. I am not from the Middle East as someone asked, I am from the southwestern part of Nigeria. One thing that I want every one to understand is that it is the use of language when we call Allah, it is the same God. I have the privilege of being in the Middle East and it is the language. Also understand the situation around Mohammad (pbuh) when he received the Holy Qur'an, there had never been a prophet among the Arabs for the Arabs by then, he was the first. Also, when he received his vision, it was his wife's uncle who was a Christian that told Mohammad (pbuh) that he was a prophet. Mohammad did not understand what it means to receive visions like the Old Testament prophets. Also understand that the Qur'an claims to have Abraham as father and so do we, but where we differ is the child of promise and the child of the bond woman. Also note that God promised Abraham that the whole world will be blessed through him and especially the promised child, God equally did not leave Ishmael empty, He bless him (Read Gen. 17:18-20; 21:12-20).

One thing that we also must understand is that God only establish His covenant through Isaac, He equally had plan for Ishmael. Remember, after he had left home, he came back to bury his father together with Isaac; in other words, he still had a share in whatever promise God had for Abraham's children. Jesus said that other sheep I have who are not of this fold and they will hear my voice and will respond. I think what matter most now is to reach out to the children of the East (who are Ishmael's children) and let them hear the voice of the Shepherd. If we understand the Qur'an, we can use it to teach biblical doctrines which will lead the Muslim to accept Christ as the Son of God, it can only happen if we appreciate what they have and not be biased about it. Whether the revelation of the Qur'an is of God or not, let us leave that aside and use the information to lead them to the truth. Truth is truth, regardless of who said it. The devil confessed through the demoniacs that Jesus is the Son of God, and that is truth.
I so much appreciate this post Yusuf. People like you can reach those of Muslim faith where those like me cannot even hope to unless I am given the gift of tongues and given wisdom to use it for God's glory.

Thanks for showing us this issue from a different point of view.

Blessings

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by