Adventist Online

I'm a person who loves music. Especially Gospel. I love to go with the rythm of the music. I'm not saying that the music is something to wok-up or whine-down on, NO. Just a nice decent song, e.g. "These r the days of Elijah". I will move with the song. Yet it is wrong in the sight of others, especially the elderly.

Is this wrong? Then why?

Views: 1481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,

I love to dance,and in my opinion it's not wrong,the Psalmist David has text about dancing in 2 samuel 6:14 it says,"Then David danced before the Lord with all his might;" there are other text in the bible that showed God's people praising Him in dance. Here are a few:
Psalm 30:10-12, Psalm 149, Eccl 3:4...in Matthew 11:16&17 Jesus was talking also in Luke 15:25,that's the parable of the prodical son.

So i really don't c anything wrong with dancing and praising God.
you know something? sometimes we as adventist 4get where we came from and what God has done for us (especially the elder folk!!) When we think about what God has done in our lives . . . . the changes he has helped us make, the fact that he laid down his life for us, his mercy towards us, the chances he gives us, we cant but help to be joyful when we sing hymns / songs/ choruses and part of that joy for some is to dance. God sees your gratitude in when u praise him, dont bother about other ppl cos that's bwtn u and him.
Dance on girl!
dancing to praise God is good....
but dancing just to praise human eyes is absolutely worthless to do
Hi, I'll be brief. Thanks for posting this question, I've asked it myself before. I agree that anything can be used for ill purposes and encourage people to be mindful of how we conduct ourselves as Advensist Christians in private and public. Being a person with a good deal of rhythm myself (that loves all kinds of music) I say - go ahead and dance! It can be a really healthy expression of emotion. Expressing joy and engaging in healthy fellowship can all be encompassed in dance. Movement is a part of the human condition and can be used to glorify God and bring people together (just like sharing a meal).
Traditions of Men says No. I think Matthew 11 speaks to our traditional expectations of holiness.

David danced.
Miriam and many Hebrew women danced.
Jephthah danced.
The Children of Israel made songs and dances about David's armies' war victories.

Psalms 149.3
Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.

Psalms 150:4
Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Ecclesiastes 3:4
[There Is] A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

Jeremiah 31:4, 13
Again I will build thee, and thou shalt be built, O virgin of Israel: thou shalt again be adorned with thy tabrets, and shalt go forth in the dances of them that make merry. Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, both young men and old together: for I will turn their mourning into joy, and will comfort them, and make them rejoice from their sorrow.

Dancing, singing, speaking, preaching, reading, etc can be done for both good and evil. So what ever you do - do it to the Glory of God. It seems to me that when God fully restores us and takes us to our heavenly home, there will be much praise dancing.
The bible gives authority to dance. Let us not use SDA tradition to determine if one can dance or not . Neither can Ellen White tell us we cannot dance i have read the quote. The Bible speak of instances where he was blessed by the dancing but we need to be careful.

There are two types of dancing. The dancing of baal and the dancing of God. The question you must ask yourself why are you dancing to whose beat are you dancing? Is it merley emotional. Only u can decide that as to why u are dancing.

Also take culture into light we should be wise. maybe it depends on your culture u should dance at home or in public just remember LET THE HOLY SPIRIT BE YOUR GUIDE
The Holy Spirit will not disagree with Sister White if she is inspired by God.

I think the dancing quote above is referring to the use of loud music with drums that is common in many churches today.

The dancing quoted here, would seem to be an emotional response to music devoid of reason. This would appear to be what Ellen White warned against.

Also remember, that we should not cause our brother to stumble, if your brother is offended by your dancing, then honour God privately would be my advice.

Mark
If you're interested in what Sister White has to say about dancing then I encourage you to go ahead and lookup some of her writings and read the entire chapter instead of a sentence or two someone has torn out of context.

For example I remember looking up some quotes which looked like she was strongly condemning dancing. But when I looked it up in the original book in context all she was saying was that youth should not attend (what we would call today) Night-clubs, no where did she explicitly claim dancing was evil.

A lot of dances don't belong outside of a marriage and they tend to be very popular with a lot of people.
This is not wrong depending on how you look at it. If it is for worship and it is solemn, then it is good. I love music, but very selective of what kind of gospel music I listen to. I love music in the church for worship also. But one thing that I do not subcribe to is that music in not in the church is not good; that I will never endorse unless such people will remove Psalm 150 from the Bible. The elderly brethren do not understand most things about music and this is because they look at the negative side of how music is affecting people and not at what music will do and is doing posotively for people. Music is good and those to handle it must be trained and well instructed in church music.
Dancing is not wrong, unless it leads away from holyness and away from God.

Agreed wholeheartedly Danny. 

Seriously if we were all blind no one would care...

And as far as Im concerned, 90% of Adventist christians attempts at dancing would just be a crime against humanity anyway.

I think its more of a health issue myself - hip replacements, ankle sprains and back injuries, our elderly have enough to worry about as it is ;)

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service