Adventist Online

I have come across this statement " Music heals you as well as kills you".

Would you like to share some insights in these matter, do music really kills..if indeed what kind of music kills?

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Abegail,

Just like everything in this world has a positive and negative affect on you, so does music.
It's like for instance; picking a fresh apple is good foor you because it has vitamins (incorrupted)
While as eating a rotten apple can make you ill (corrupted).

There are corrupted and incorrupted forms of music that can have either a postive or negative
influence on you. Now my main genre of music is Gospel, and also next to that I listen to very
old music from the 50's, 60's & 70's and some of the 80's. I also listen to some love songs that
don't promote things like sex outside marriage or other wild non-christianlike standards.

I've been an Adventist for about two years so before that I listened to music such as Rap, Dancehall, Reggae and R&b. These are genres of music that I would say could also kill you spiritually. Why, because most of RAP is about Releasing Angered Pain. It was a genre of music designed to African Americans that instead of taking their aggression out on their enemies or their life, they take it out in their songs. And though it might sound positive, this music has an affect on people that listen to it especially young people. It changes your whole entire character.

Boys who were once just normal in a classroom, went to listen to rap music and are now considering themselves Thugs by hanging their pants low, getting tattoos and the latest trend of Grills on their teeth. And women, well I don't have to point that out.

People always think that is okay to listen to that kind of music if you don't do what they say, but music is something that slowly forms you into a different person. I have a younger brother he listens to a lot of rap music. He doesn't have any tattoos or Grills. He does have two earings and whenever he speaks it is mostly an aggressive tone. No matter how normal a conversation, he is from inside just aggressive though he is quiet and he smiles. And I know he does not do it intentionally but music
is what formed his character as a person.

Dancehall music, most of it is about...well you know I don't have to detail that. And Reggae music I don't really want to judge it but Reggae was not a religious genre that pertained to God, but more
direction Jah.

I hope this really helps you a lot because honestly I'm was a rapper turned Christian.

Orville
Orville
You have actually talked about what is real.I thank God because of this message.
god bless you
thanks for sharing your thoughts bro.
I like music...and i bet the world would be on blue without it
Several years ago my friend and I were in a clothing store and there was this crazy heavy metal song playing. Both my friend and I felt something strange coming over us - like a feeling of madness. I told him that I really had to get out of the store because I thought that the music was making me crazy. To my surprise, he said that the same thing was happening to him and when we finally were away from the crazy psychedelic song, we both breathed a sigh of relief. It was such a strange experience, especially since we listened to all genres of music. In that store, I felt like I was losing my mind. I kept referring to the music in the store as "kill me music". It was truly horrible.

On the other hand, I can attest to music healing. I can have a whole concert by myself to an audience of One in my living room. Singing has lifted me from feelings of doubt, fear, loneliness, helplessness. Music has spoken my pains when I could not find the words. Sometimes praise songs remind me that I am in a battle and that Satan is using every trick in the book to trip me up, Again - all different genres of music.
I belief some of today's music like heavy metal etc are the source towards generation of unatural appetite like drugs, sex, killings etc....

Let's look into bible....1 Samuel 16 NIV

14 Now the Spirit of the LORD had departed from Saul, and an evil [b] spirit from the LORD tormented him.

15 Saul's attendants said to him, "See, an evil spirit from God is tormenting you. 16 Let our lord command his servants here to search for someone who can play the harp. He will play when the evil spirit from God comes upon you, and you will feel better."

17 So Saul said to his attendants, "Find someone who plays well and bring him to me."

18 One of the servants answered, "I have seen a son of Jesse of Bethlehem who knows how to play the harp. He is a brave man and a warrior. He speaks well and is a fine-looking man. And the LORD is with him."

19 Then Saul sent messengers to Jesse and said, "Send me your son David, who is with the sheep." 20 So Jesse took a donkey loaded with bread, a skin of wine and a young goat and sent them with his son David to Saul.

21 David came to Saul and entered his service. Saul liked him very much, and David became one of his armor-bearers. 22 Then Saul sent word to Jesse, saying, "Allow David to remain in my service, for I am pleased with him."

23 Whenever the spirit from God came upon Saul, David would take his harp and play. Then relief would come to Saul; he would feel better, and the evil spirit would leave him.

Here is an example that music that heals and perhaps the opposite holds true.....that bad music would invite evil spirits.....

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service