Adventist Online

First of all I want to say: this is not a personal attack on anyone or any culture. I just want to know how to relate our different cultures to God's.

We often use the word 'culture' to justify our (wrong) doings. "In my culture we shout and dance to praise the Lord; In my culture we use reggea-gospel music for worship", and so we continue going on and on.

In this world we experience many different cultures. But how many cultures are there in God's Kingdom? Aren't we suppose to be working towards that culture in spite of anything?

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Revelation 7:9-10
After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

It is our faith that unites us regardless of our language, the instruments that we use (See Psalms 150), the style of MODEST dress, the foods we eat (I am speaking of roti, versus chapati, versus wheat rolls NOT of frog legs and pork or other unclean foods), etc.

Culture is multifaceted. EVERY culture is faulty because EVERY culture on earth has been tainted by man. Every culture has some element of self-glorification (look at us, we the best, raise your flag, etc). Therefore, people must examine themselves to see whether some aspects of their culture is hindering their walk with Christ. Every person must decide to leave those things behind. For example, you may no longer be able to go to Carnival or Rah Rah, but you can still eat johnny cakes and sing your national anthem.

From what I can tell , God is not calling us to be clones of each other, but rather to be united in faith and doctrine in spite of our culture. Ephesians 4 speaks to this, especially verses 13 and 14: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: that we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; It does not say for us to be united in custom and culture, but in faith and doctrine.

In the end, God is coming for "a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues" - a flurry of cultures united in Christ.
Exactly!!! Many of different cultures will be united in Christ, Their faith and reliance in God lead them to live accordingly to achieve that particular goal which is Salvation. Not using culture as a disguise to justify anything.
It would be such a boring world if there was one culture . . . it would be unbearable if adventism had one culture!!! Culture is what makes us unique, tells us our historical roots, unites the comunities we live in. Culture defines what we can and cannot do in someone else's country. It is only when our culture conflicts with the bible (my national dish is frog legs) that it is unacceptable. You asked how do we relate our culture to God's culture. I'm not sure that we have to, its just an extension of who we are, it defines part of who we are. Heaven will probably have it own culture
I agree with Shebasdreams, Unity in Faith.

I Corinthians 10:31 " So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God".

So if you examine with the help of the HolyGhost that raggae-gospel glorifies God then go ahead, If you examine and see that it pleases God to praise him with Hip-hip gospel go ahead.

By examining i mean searching the scriptures, comparing verse to verse, searching the roots/ history of everything and how it started.

I should also note out a good verse in Romans 12:1-2 "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God this is your spirtual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and apprrove what God's will is his good, pleasing and perfect will".

I Thess. 5:21 "Test everything. Hold on to the good."

God initiated tribes and families but man with the help of the devil innovated what the Lord didn't desire. God didn't desire the sacrifacing of children to foreign gods, he didn't desire for people to take snakes and dogs as food, he didn't desire for people to misuse instruments and form devilish music like rock.
God's culture in the beginning was stated out plain to Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden, Our first parents were given the food to eat, they were told how to behave, they were united into holy matrimony and told to be fruitful and multiply, they even heard music from heaven when the angels used to praise the Lord.

When Adam and Eve sinned, the devil infiltrated humankind and they started inventing things which the Lord didn't desire. A prophecy through Amos 6:5 says "You strum away on your harps like David and improvise on musical instruments".
Man has invented a zillion of things but testing and see what's good is the only we should take as we are working towards the re-unification in the heavenly kingdom and the new earth.
God's culture is a culture that embraces love, humility and holiness and everything that is good and lovely.
God's culture is the culture that reverences Him as God the creator and our redeemer.

As much as He has allowed different languages, different skin colours and different climatic environments, He would equally tolerate anybody's culture as much as it does not violate His divine principles?

What are these divine principles? Study to show yourself approved, a workman who needs not be ashamed but rightly dividing the word of truth.

Best wishes.
God does not expect us to give up our individuality. He calls us to be like Christ. We read that in the garden of Eden Adam and Eve were vegetarians, as were the animals. From that, I deduce that God is calling all of us to be vegetarian, for that is a part of the culture of God's kingdom. There are many calls to do acts of faith and righteousness, to love God and to walk humbly with Him. God's culture does not boost the ego like the cultures of men do. The cultures of men put emphasis on the self, while the kingdom of God puts emphasis on selflessness, focusing on others and making life better for others. In turn, others focus on others, and the quality of life for all is improved. Money is not important. What is important is giving freely, out of the kindness of our own hearts, as God leads us to give. The cultures of men are all about taking and taking some more. God's kingdom is about bringing healing to people, and doing no harm. The cultures of men have only given us human suffering that continues to this day. When you look at societal norms and values, everyone is expected to act and behave in the same exact way, to the point that they are like clones. I thnk we can think of some societies that are like that. God wants us to be free to be the individual He is calling us to be. Because of your love, support and encouragement, I can become what God has called me to become. As we all achieve, so we all celebrate each other's victories and accomplishments, and there is no jealousy like there is among the cultures of men.

There is the culture God wants to train us to live in so we may be trusted with the riches of eternity and live with Him in peace and harmony wherever we go in His universe.

There is the culture Satan embraces us with in the hope that we, too, will return the embrace and go down with him into destruction.

The culture we were born into isn't as important as the culture God wants us to be born again into. We must have the wisdom to keep the cultural traits we were trained to observe by our parents and communities that are good and honor God. But there is much more we need to unlearn that keeps us from totally embracing that which displeases God. Then we have much, much to learn from God as we prepare for eternity. Those things that we did not grow up with that God wants us to have are things we need to be trained in so that we can lead many to Christ as we prepare for the harvest.

My apologies for any typos. I wrote this without my glasses on and I have only had two hours of sleep. Been awake for nearly ten hours... and that is one thing I need retraining on. Getting adequate rest before going to junior classes.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service