Adventist Online

Should I throw my tithes in the church or use it to for charitable causes if think it is not being use appropriately

Views: 226

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes I agree the tithes belong to God, and we should return it faithfully. If it is not being used appropriately by those in charge well they would have to answer to God. They may receive whatever curse that comes with misuse of the church's funds. But for those who faithfully return what is really not ours, God promises to open the windows of heaven and pour out blessings that we do not have room for and that is not only monetary.
And I have known of people who withhold the Lord's tithe in the name of using it for charity and as time went on you saw the real problem revealed and it was one of selfishness, because they eventually lose sight of the fact that it was suppose to be for charity and began to use it for themselves when a need arose.
Some things are not to be questioned.How would you like to take God's challenge prove me now herewith,right now ,this day and see if I (GOD) will not open the doors of heaven and pour you out a blessing MALACHI 3:10.You know what you are going through but you never know when and where that blessing is coming from.It's a test of obedience,remember God dont need our money.Faith is the victory.God bless you sister and happy sabbath.
Way to go mark!
We are not sheep who blindly follow our ministers, conference, church, whatever, etc. Only God can be followd and obeyd without question. We are people, people have minds, minds have questions. You need to know why you what you do, and why you don't do the things you don't do.
I have a friend who says he doesn't return his tithe becos the church misuses it. That may or may not be true. As far as i'm concerned God asks it of me so i do it. What happens to it after it leaves my hand . . . God will take care of it (and them if it's being misused!)
my point is when God give us his direct order,command or challenge we take it upon ourselves to follow it.Thats why we suffer the way that we do because we are disobedient.Obedience is the key factor here its not about the pastor,the church and how they spend it or the conference goal, its about our faithfulness that leads us to obey.remember God dont need anything from us we need him,thats why we are here being a part of this great advent world wide movement.We should be happy to return our tithes,there's a lot of people out there who are looking to us how about if we use our tithes and offerings to find them.
Because we are human we must come to the realization that we rely on a higher power (GOD).If you accept the bible as inspired by God,and our church doctrine and practices you would not question if you must return your tithe or not.Thesse are fundamentals of the church.
Well Questions ask here should not be taken personally. Yes I do know about our doctrines and how they are created. I asked question for people who are afraid of asking. We need to be open minded and do not direct answers personally but objectively
O.k I am sorry I just felt bad after what elmore commented to. I thought also u were directing the comments to me.
I like your reply and I strongly agree with it
Hello folks, We should not attack each other here, we are debating, it's a discussion since we are known as the people of the book then always support your discussions with scriptures.

Colossians 4:6 "Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone".

Now back to "Tithes"
I think this is a very good question. In the past I used to ask the same thing. One could also look at the following:

1. Should we start another church if the one we think is not holy enough?
2. Ho w can we guarantee that we will use the tithes more appropriately than the church?
3. How can we guarantee that the charity org. that we donate the tithes to will not abuse it ?

What is appropriate use of the tithes?

Is there a gap between how it is being used and what it should be used for?

Is there any biblical support for withholding the tithes if it we think it is not being used properly?

I dont believe we should withhold our tithes or give it to charitable causes if we think it is not being used properly by the church or for any other reasons.Tithing was instituted to finance the gospel and indicate to God that we can be trusted to be faithful. it is a holy thing.

We have a responsibility to throw it and the church has the responsibility to use it appropriately. If the church abuse the tithes let God will hold them accountable for dishonesty and not you for failing to return it. Having said that I dont believe we should sit back and play naive if we have evidence of widescale abuse and corruption regarding how the tithe is used. We must hold our churches and conferences accountable for how the money is spent. They collect millions of dollars every year from hardworking and faithful church members who have the right to know how the money is spent.
They have indicated on the front of the envelope the percentage of the funds allotted different areas of the gospel a level of transparency we can appreciate. However every church should receive audited financial statements and there should be a channel for memebers to vent disagreements if they think the funds are not used effectively.

We should focus more on how the conference can improve the use of the funds rather than we taking it upon ourseolves to engage in what we think is appropriate use of the tihes. Appropriate use is subjective. What I think is apprpriate to one person can be inappropriate to another. There has to be an established standard for appropriate use and i think the church has established that standard. What we should lobby for (if it is not in place) is to have a greater say in the establishment or ammendment of these standards and adherence to them.
Imagine if everybody should take the tithes and do what they will with it.

1. The church would close because they rely on the offering to pay bills and upkeep of the church. 2.Pastors would be made redundant because they wont have a source of income.
3.Overseas and local evangelism that relies so much on funding would be greatly affected
4.Our educational institutions would also be affected
5.Our conferences would also close down

I understand where you are coming from and it hurts real bad and we feel betrayed when the church abuses the money or use it in a way we feel is not appropriate. You have a voice use it to suggest ways in which the money can be spent more effectively. Look at the following options:

State what you think the church should be doing with the tithes that they are not already doing.

A performance management system for pastors and conference officials

Less crusades (very expensive) and more longterm meaningful ways of wining anmd KEEPING souls.
A larger percentage of the money alloted to the local church

Hope I was of some help. Let me know what yu think.

Nadean
Tithes is a very serious isue and I am very particular that my money is put to the best possible use. I believe in results and as I am from an accounts/administrative background, I will make sure that the money is used wisely and the general result will be the betterment of the Church I attend. Before I joined the Adventist church, I used to hold back my tithes when I found that the other churches mismanage and misuse the money.
In such cases I prefer to withold my tithes till I find the right reason to give it out and yes, most of it goes for Church outreach and Charity purposes.
I do not believe that I should just give my tithes to a church and forget about what happens to it. I work hard for my salary and also am a careful spender and naturally I will see to it that my spendings and payments will be for sensible and practical usages.

You are right brother.... As a businessman I dare not with hold the tithe for other purposes on even church outreach, church building fund of new sister church etc.... I guess I need more light...
"Speak to the Levites and say to them: 'When you receive from the Israelites the tithe I give you as your inheritance, you must present a tenth of that tithe as the LORD's offering.Numbers 18:26 (New International Version)

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.Malachi 3:10 (New International Version)

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service