Adventist Online

Hi,
How do you deal with depression? In this day and age so many people are going through sad times. Satan attacks us any way he can. And when you are feeling sad and in dispair what are some things that you do to help yourself? I have experienced very deep depression lately and by clinging to God I have pulled through. I want to know how others cope with this issue.

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Prayer, Praising, Singing, and Clinging to God with all I have. I focus on what is true so that I am not lost in my self-defeating thoughts. In my darkest moments, I have prayed until morning. Last night was such a night.

Most of the time I am focused - I am about my Father's business. There is a song that says, "I keep so busy praising my Jesus, ain't got time to die...; I keep so busy working for the master ain't got time to die... Cause it takes all of my time to praise my Jesus - all of my time to praise my Lord; if i don't praise Him the rocks are gonna cry out..." I feel that Satan tries to attack me with memories of my past, doubts, fears, and wrong thinking. He tries to break me. If I break, all of the kids I serve in your ministry might begin to doubt. Others who I have witnessed to might say to themselves, "see this faith is not real".

I am always aware in my darkest moments that there is a war going on and that Satan wants to use God's Children as pawns to make a mockery of God. But since I know that God is real, that His Word is true and that I am evidence of His victory over evil, I rest on this and I pray God's promises to me.

Last night someone sent me this devotion and it really speaks to what you have asked. I follow the devotion with a poem that I wrote. I hope that it is a blessing to you.

God Bless You - Rachel

May 8 THE FAITH TO PERSEVERE

"Because you have kept My command to persevere..." (Revelation 3:10).

Perseverance means more than endurance--more than simply holding on until the end. A saint's life is in the hands of God like a bow and arrow in the hands of an archer. God is aiming at something that the saint cannot see, but our Lord continues to stretch and strain, and every once in a while the saint says, "I can't take it any more." Yet God pays no attention; He goes on stretching until His purpose is in sight, and then He lets the arrow fly. Entrust yourself to God's hands. Is there something in your life for which you need perseverance right now? Maintain the perseverance of faith. Proclaim as Job did, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him" (Job 13:15).

Faith is not some weak and pitiful emotion, but is strong and vigorous confidence built on the fact that God is holy love. And even though you cannot see Him right now and cannot understand what He is doing, you know Him. Disaster occurs in your life when you lack the mental composure that comes from establishing yourself on the eternal truth that God is holy love. Faith is the supreme effort of your life--throwing yourself with abandon and total confidence upon God.

God ventured His all in Jesus Christ to save us, and now He wants us to venture our all with total abandoned confidence in Him. There are areas in our lives where that faith has not worked in us as yet--places still untouched by the life of God. There were none of those places in Jesus Christ's life, and there are to be none in ours. Jesus prayed, "This is eternal life, that they may know You..." (John 17:3). The real meaning of eternal life is a life that can face anything it has to face without wavering. If we will take this view, life will become one great romance--a glorious opportunity of seeing wonderful things all the time. God is disciplining us to get us into this central place of power.

A Poem I Wrote #1
Every night is a battle with shadows

They appear when the Light is near

Yes even darkness wants to see what the Light can do

"There's so much more of me," it says to itself;

"Why so much attention to such a little flicker?"

Strategy after strategy darkness tries to turn my head.

It tries to fill my mind with the memories of all my mistakes and shattered hopes, and foolish dreams and all of the friends that turned out to be merely experimenters of the finest quality.

It tries to corrupt my testimonies with buts and ifs -

attempting to make me think

That the desires of my heart cannot be found in the light.

But my testimonies are like dynamite magnifying the little flame in me.

And I hold unto this flame with all of my life.

When I dwell on what the Light has done for me

Darkness has no chance at victory.

I am a wonder to this foe.

"Why won't she just let go?"

"Why can't she see that what she desires can be found in me?

I'll let darkness ponder after the buried dead.

As I walk in the light with lifted head,

As I live this life to live again,

As I seek the Light that is before me,

As I let the Light within me outshine me,

I know that shadows will follow.

But what can they do to me when I am walking in the Light?

Their only option is to keep their place

In the past and in behind.

Another Poem I wrote - Poem #2
2 hours from my midnight hour Lord
Where am I if you are here?
There is an ache in my chest over which antacid has no jurisdiction
A thousand miles and it turns out
That I am the lonely
I am the them
Since you will never leave me nor forsake me
Please show me the way back home to you
Because I am all alone and hungry here
I am so afraid and no human I encounter dares to believe it
They will not hear it
But you are fearless
Look at all you have done
I will not look
Even David was punished for numbering his vast kingdom
David – the apple of His eye
What would happen to poor me?
And anyhow credit is not due me
You must be having a bad day
Is it that time?
What’s his name?
Or something else that would allow them to validate
No one wants to see that You are truly and quite simply
My only strength
Even I am prone to deny how helpless I am
But not now Lord
Not now
My weakness – my pain
Which are not up for judgment
Are judged and sentenced
By those who cannot set me free nor imprison me
Lord its one hour away from midnight
And I am desperately searching, seeking, asking and knocking
I believe that I am a woman of rare distinction
Since I am Your child
But like a diamond in the rough
I am enveloped in darkness and what I know
Does not translate to emotions that follow suit
Won’t you dig me up out of this place and perfect me
As I wrote the last line it just occurred to me that you are perfecting me right now
Right now in the darkness
It hurts
All of this chiseling and welding
I feel alone but I am not alone
And You say press
I am frightened with nothing to fear
And You say press
I am weak with no foe daring to touch me for fear of my protecting angels
And You say press
So I press despite myself Lord
But I am weary and lonely and I wish I knew where I was going
And You say beautiful one, I am answering your prayer
And By the way
Look at the time
And I say amen.

I pray that these words are an encouragement to someone reading this response..

Again, God Bless You - Rachel
Becky this is a great forum to start.

Do you know that there are SDA members who beleive that as christians we should not be depressed?

I would really like to see the views on this topic
Yes, I realize that Christians feel that way and I have felt that way myself until I really experienced it. Satan uses whatever he can to attack us and even Christians can be caught by his devices. The difference is that we have someone to help us through it. I don't know what I would have done if I did not have God to cling to. And the friends that he has brought into my life.
Thanks Friend,
Becky
Hi Becky,
I have also battled with this depression issue, which came upon so suddenly and without cause, I know it is the devil, if he cannot get you to literally sin, he attacks your mind. I have dealt with it by staying as close to Christ, who little by little revealed and led me to do the following things literally immersing myself in nature and hearing God speak to me through His creation, laughter therapy, exercise, reading inspiring books, staying away from negative situations and persons and so many more and it has led me to totally depend on God and my relationship with Him has grown so much stronger and real.
I am not totally over I still have good days and bad days but I know that he is with me no matter what day I have and He understands.
My hardest battle was dealing with members in the church who have been so negative and insensitive, treating you as though you should not be experiencing such a situation that christians are immune and that we have taken an eternally happy pill. This is a great topic to share with others it is comforting to know that I am not alone. But God has shown me that I am welcome to be depressed and come to His house cause that is where my deliverance lies. So stay strong.
Thank you for these words. It is comforting to know that others struggle with the same issues. But I am learning that God is very good. He knows just what we need and provides for it even before we need it. In the very darkest times, it is difficult to see God's working. But if we wait and listen, He will guide us through the darkness and bring us out into the light. Yes, there are good and bad days. But God is there for each one if we really focus on him. He will bring us through. Thank you, and you stay strong also. Together we can fight the battles that Satan creates for us, with God's help all things are possible.
Hi Becky,
Thanks for all the awesome comments,just shows that the great God of heaven never leave his children in the valley.No matter how long it takes dont give up because yes he's "GOD ON THE MOUNTAIN"great song one of my favourites.Keep holding on to jesus he'll hold on to you.Have a blessed sabbath.
Doing exercise helps to reduce depression. It is also good to join a support group, spend time on the outdoor rather than lock away yourself, seek counseling, engage in outreach activities and dwell on God's words prayerfully.
I was really encouraged to read what you wrote Matthew, it all sum up the experience that I have had , and it is really hideous and mind blowing. But you know what those quotes from the Bible and the writings from EG White are so powerful and more and more I am realising where my power lies. Let us pray for each other and hold each other up, for in unity there is strength, that is why I thank God for this site, each time I log on there is so much to read and learn and it is also great meeting you folks. God bless.
Hi Becky

I know what is is to feel depress. A few weeks ago I was suffering from severve depression. All I could do was cling onto his promises in the Bible, listen to inspirational music and pray. Even though I did understand why things happen the way they did ( and I still don't understand why) I knew it was all part of God's plan.

I'll leave these two Bible text that gave me hope and comfort then,

" Being confident of this very thing that he who begun a good work in you, will complete until the very day of Jesus Chirst." Philiphians 1: 6

"All things work together for good to them, that love the Lord to them who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8: 28

Satans best weapon is depression. It stops us from forcusing on God. But remember:

Defeat comes from looking back
Distraction comes from looking around
Discouragement comes from looking down
But deliverance comes from looking up.

God bless you
Thanks so much for this response. I also believ that sometimes God allows us to go through bad times so that we can help others through their bad times. Thanks for being God's helper. Take care and God bless you too.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service