Adventist Online

What is Marriage... or What Should Determine Whether You Are Married?

The following was posted by someone on a myspace group that I frequent. What Are your thoughts? I have underlined the key points in case you are not a reader...

Posted: May 1, 2008 10:52 PM
here are my personal thoughts on this subject. i know most others will not agree but what if God sees it this way.
I believe that there is a doctrine that we don’t teach that is of utmost importance. that is the fact that when you have sex you have just married that person.
the Jews at a wedding would send the bride and groom into a room and they would consummate their love. after wards the groom would take the sheets out and show them to the priest to prove that they had knew each other. the blood on the sheets proved two things. one she was a virgin and two that they had knew each other. then the priest would bless them as husband and wife. it was the physical act that married them, not the priest.
Genesis 24:67
And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah’s tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death.
Isaac took Rebekah and she became his wife.
Matthew 19:4-6 (King James Version)
4And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
here Jesus talks about two becoming one.
1 Corinthians 6:15-17 (King James Version)
15Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
16What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
17But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
so how would you be joined to a harlot? the only thing i can see that you would do with a harlot is have sex. and again he talks about the two becoming one.
1 Corinthians 7:8-9 (King James Version)
8I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.
9But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.
what i believe this is saying is that if you can not control your lust then go ahead and be joined. it is better for you to become one than to burn with lust.
1 Corinthians 7:36-38 (New International Version)
36If anyone thinks he is acting improperly toward the virgin he is engaged to, and if she is getting along in years and he feels he ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning. They should get married. 37But the man who has settled the matter in his own mind, who is under no compulsion but has control over his own will, and who has made up his mind not to marry the virgin—this man also does the right thing. 38So then, he who marries the virgin does right, but he who does not marry her does even better.
this i think is saying that if we cannot control our selves and we want to be together then be together. but if you can control your self and don’t want to be together then that is better.
my main point is that once you have sex the two have just become one and you are married.
most people don’t like this doctrine because they have had other partners than their spouse, either before or after the wedding.
i believe that marriage as we know it, where a pastor joins you as husband and wife came from the RCC. this made him feel like he had the power of God to join two people together.
One other thought, most states require consummation of the marriage for it to be legal. If the marriage is never consummated then it can be annulled, but once it is consummated you have to get a divorce.
just my thoughts. maybe right, may be wrong
may God guide you in all you do
your brother in Christ
Jerry

p.s. if we taught this doctrine it just might slow down teen pregnancy.

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jason 

Fair deal ... let the dead bury the dead.. let the spiritual virgins marry spiritual virgins and the physical virgins marry physical virgins... 

Isn't that a fair deal?

Just so food for thought Jason lol 

There should be a public demonstration .. there should be witnesses, this vow should be taken before God and man. 

IF we regard marriage as the sexual union that exist between a man and woman, the consummation, then i should just go get my boy friend and ask him to  marry me right now.. (lol). That would be too easy right? 

This would totally be fornication because i have not taken that vow before God and man..

SO the point is no.. just sleeping with someone before marriage,  doesnt make you that persons wife or husband.. it just means that you are transgressing God's law, and you need to stop it because, it is wrong.

You have no license to drive this car so hop off...

blessings 

emmy 

this is pathetic.. what does teen  pregnancy have to do with this... 

If you tell me we have to teach the love of Christ and teach the teens how to grow in love with Christ, how to abide by his law, how to learn of Him each day.. How to build a personal devotion life...If we work on such, then the teens will want to please their Savior and in so doing they will not want to displease him in anyway.. They will want to abide by his word, his Law because they love Him..

Teaching them about sex and marriage.. I think the teens know this ... what we need to do is really show them the love of Christ..

What i have realize is, the more i learn of Christ the more i want to please him.. consequently i detest everything that is sinful.. I hate the sins i committed in the past, i never want to repeat it anymore.. Do you know why? It is because i have this relationship with my Lord one, i know that he loves me and i love him.. John 14:15 IF you love me keep my commandments... The love of GOD and total self-abnegation is the only thing that will prevent us from transgressing the law of God.. 

The marriage aspect i will address in an other post..

blessings 

So like how i talk about my spouse how so much that i love dearly.Some times person's would say you can talk bout you husband so much,so i tell them that he is mine so i have alright to talk about him as much as want....

So tell me if some thing is wrong. 

Wow, Guys?

Paul?

whats the wow about? are you speechless? lol ... i just take it that you are lol 

Emlyne -  For some it is better for all of us that they are speechless.  lol

Nhim 

I see that lol 

my my lol 

N Him - please, If you were the only pastor i would have left your church a looooooooooong time ago. Since you're deceptive. LOL

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2016   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service