Adventist Online

I believe kissing by unmarried Christians is wrong as it is likely to lead to lusting and other wrong acts and we should shun the very appearance of evil.

Views: 2164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really can't believe that this discussion is still continuing!!!

It has been clarified that the type of kissing under discussion is "French", passionate, kissing, yet people are actually asking for a Bible/SoP reference to tell them not to put their tongue in another person's mouth when kissing them unless they are married to them!?! Unbelievable. I don't need a Bible quote to tell me not to inject narcotics into my veins, I know where that will lead already.

God has given you enough wisdom so that you shouldn't need to ask a question like this. Passionate kissing arouses... yes, passion! If you are unmarried then why do you want to arouse yourself (and your partner)? Is it to test yourselves, to see if you can overcome the urges/temptations that must follow passionate kissing? What about the next stage, petting? If it's ok to kiss passionately is it ok to intimately touch each other? (After all, it's not actual fornication and I haven't seen a Bible quote to say that I can't touch his/her privates.)

Ask yourself this... what would be the response of the women in the church if when I greeted them with a kiss I put my tongue in their mouths? That should give you a good idea as to whether it is right or wrong.

Now, do we *really* need a Bible study to be convinced that passionate kissing is not a good idea for single SDAs?
This discussion is still going on because of several things:
1. How dogmatic the anti-kissing folks are without giving scriptural/SOP/church manual/cultural basis. This strikes those of us that don't think it's wrong as a previous poster said... "pharisaical". This type of thinking can lead down the path to extremism. Should Adventists women wear burkha's so that they don't arouse passion/lust? An extreme interpretation of scripture (which we haven't even been provided references for yet) can lead to much worse things.
2. Because there are glaring logical problems with comparing kissing with injecting narcotics, etc. So using those examples to support not kissing just doesn't hold up. It's comparing apples to oranges. Taking drugs is blatantly harming the temple of God. Kissing is not. It possible can lead to other sinful acts but so can anything else that is not sinful. (See the previous comment about not getting out of bed in the morning because it will lead to sin.) And the originator of this post has stated that he thinks kissing is wrong even if it leads nowhere. So...???

The standard of 'what would the lady at church think if I did it with her' also doesn't seem to hold up. I don't hold hands with ladies at church. I don't stroke their hair or run my fingers through it. I don't tell them I love them. I don't kiss them at all, much less a passionate kiss. I don't have certain conversations with them. All because that relationship is vastly different than one between a boyfriend/girlfriend. I don't do those things with the "church lady" not because those actions are sinful, but because they are culturally not appropriate for that level of relationship.

I am enjoying many of the discussion here on Adventist Online because they challenge me to delve into the Bible and SOP to read and decide my own path. That is very good. But this discussion is confounding me because no one is giving me texts, references, or anything. People are just telling their own opinion and making analogies that don't always work for me.

I respect every persons decision for their own behavior on this issue. If I know that it will lead me to sin, I will not do it. But telling others that it is wrong even though it might not lead them down a path to sin is troubling. I need someone to help me by providing texts, etc.
well. . . as jb said, maybe then we shud talk about if its okay to do drugs. the bible says nothing about it right? does egw? so where shall we get the basis for not doin drugs? not smoking? i think u need to re-read the discussion or go read the bible from cover to cover again. there are no specifics in the bible about kissing so where do u expect people to get texts from? tell you what . . . you read the sop / bible and get back to us on the topic
Hello Naome,

I am wondering if I sent a message for you that was meant for a brother. With greetings, "Dear brother". If I did sorry - it was not intentionally.
Dear Brother,
I am kind of disappointed that the persons who agree with kissing by unmarried persons keep on saying no scriptural evidence is provided to refute their view. If you check the discussion you will find that a number of persons have presented scripture to support the view that it is wrong for the unmarried to kiss, however the persons who disagree with this positions are the ones who are unable to provide scriptural evidence apart from their personal beliefs to support their position.

What I have also noticed is that each time a text is presented persons try to use logics to say the text cannot stand up. Now lots of things that sound logical are not true so we cannot depend on logics every time. I could have used logic to refute the position presented before about "not getting out of bed in order not to sin" but I did not want to go down that road because it leads nowhere. As logical arguments can always be found by anyone to support anything or refute anything.

So with all that said let's see what the Bible says since I believe you are honestly examining the matter. 1 Cor. 10:31 says everything we do should be done to the glory of God.

Questions - Can the unmarried kiss (French kiss) each other to glorify God?
Dear Brother,
I am kind of disappointed that the persons who agree with kissing by unmarried persons keep on saying no scriptural evidence is provided to refute their view. If you check the discussion you will find that a number of persons have presented scripture to support the view that it is wrong for the unmarried to kiss, however the persons who disagree with this positions are the ones who are unable to provide scriptural evidence apart from their personal beliefs to support their position.

What I have also noticed is that each time a text is presented persons try to use logics to say the text cannot stand up. Now lots of things that sound logical are not true so we cannot depend on logics every time. I could have used logic to refute the position presented before about "not getting out of bed in order not to sin" but I did not want to go down that road because it leads nowhere. As logical arguments can always be found by anyone to support anything or refute anything.

So with all that said let's see what the Bible says since I believe you are honestly examining the matter. 1 Cor. 10:31 says everything we do should be done to the glory of God.

Questions - Can the unmarried kiss (French kiss) each other to glorify God?
MY BROTHER I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE. U HAV SAID IT SO SUCCINTLY I DARE NOT ADD ONE JOT OR ONE TITTLE TO WHAT YOU HAVE SAID. WELL SAID VINCENZO!!!!!!!!!
Vincenzo, you make so much sense. But the fact that no one has quoted a clear and uncontroverted passage of Scripture to substantiate their position on this may be due to the fact that there are none... the reason being that this is a personal matter and a matter of common sense. To suggest that kissing someone you are in love with is wrong is pharisaical, period, even if that means an intimate kiss.
thank u!
who are you thanking naome? hehe
LOL...You really have to wonder about making an ado about nothing?
Very strong point brother.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by