Adventist Online

is corporal/ capital punishment right or wrong? should seventh-day adventists support governments who enforce capital punishment? what about forgiveness; is capital punishment a sign of a lack of forgiveness?

Views: 584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

there is nothing right or wrong about corpral/capital punishment. the objective word here to me is punishment which is used to eliminate the occurrence of behaviour. here the punishment is used as a reinforcer to bring about positive attitudes or actions and eliminate/distinguish the negative ones.

seeing that seventh day adventist preach the gospel of grace and redemption i don't think that we should support governments who enforce capital punishment. maximum confinement is a punishment that has great psychological and other effects on its own and killing that person either by hanging or the lethal way is giving that person an easy way out.
interesting perspective. thanks 4 deviewpoint
Many parents use physical punishment to discipline their children. Others prefer to use different methods to reward good behavior or punish misbehavior

physical punishment can be a useful method of discipline. However it should be the last choice for parents. If we want to build a world with less violence we must begin at home, and we must teach our children to be responsible.
Very good points my fellow believers, but what about the fact that the bible says in Proverbs 22:15, "foolishness is bound in the heart of child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him"

We should not spare the rod and spoil the child. that will cause many parents to bawl later on in life when their now adult children are totally out of controll.

Corpral/Capital punishment can be seen as a deterant for criminals. If they know that when they commit a particular offense, the penality is death or imprisonment they might reconsider and make good use of their time, thereby not allowing the devil to find work for idle hands to do.
GR8 POINTS ALL OF YOU. WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM MANY MORE PPL ON THIS TOPIC.
If I attempt to answer as to whether corporal punishment is right or wrong I will only plunge head on into this ongoing controversial discussion. The bible is filled with examples of corporal punishment -think about Sodom and Gomorrah, think about the Flood, think about Lot's wife, think about Jesus chasing the buyers and sellers from the temple, think about Adam and Eve who were put out of Eden because of their sins. Are we to conclude here that God did not forgave Adam & Eve for thier sins? If sinners do not repent their ultimate punishment will be hell fire. While we are on this earth, the laws of Caesar/Governments must prevail. Jesus forgave Adam & Eve but they had to suffer the consequences and we are suffering today because of their sins, isn't that punishment? but thank God for Jesus who offers us grace. Corporal punishment is not a deterrent to human behaviour, but it assist in changing behaviours. If someone rape/kill my teenage daughter (God forbid) are you saying they should not be punished by the law even if I forgive that individual. No sir, if that happens there will be chaos in the State. When I sin, I suffer my consequences and I make an effort to change. We must bear in mind however, that God alone is the righteous judge. I am a bit confused as to two statements - "Do not spare the rod and spoil the child" and "Thy rod and thy staff comforts me".
I love your point of view Vivienne. My view of corporal punishment is not at all that it is a lack of forgiveness. If someone should have sex before marriage and get any sexually transmitted diseases they can gain forgiveness if they truly confess and repent. However that would does not mean because they are forgiven that they disease would disappear. They must suffer the consequences of their actions and take responsibility.
Because of culture however, corporal punishment is now given as an act of revenge.
No longer is forgiveness given a chance to show its face. Culture gives the idea that God is a wicked tyrant who is ready and waiting to punish sin in the most severe fashion.
That may have twisted persons view and caused them to believe that corporal punishment is wrong but it is only when it isn't used as intended, just like many other things, is when it should be viewed as bad.
thanks for the comments guys. do u tink we should rename corporal punishment corporal discipline then?? just a htought.
What do you mean "support governments"? In what way? Do you mean that perhaps the Seventh-day Adventist Church ought to publicly condemn and withdraw all sorts of support from governments which enforce capital punishment? Upon what Biblical or Spirit of prophecy basis would we take such action?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2022   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service