Adventist Online

I tend to get depressed very easily and recently i have been told that the reason why I am so depressed is because I don't have enough faith that God will answer my prayers for deliverance.
I personally don't think this is true because I do believe God can and he is able. David suffered with depression for many years. He believed he would be delivered but it still took a while right? Am I really still depressed because I don't believe as I should?

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't believe that you are depressed because you don't have enough faith. This world is changing and satan is working hard to get all of God's children to be discouraged. He tells us all kinds of lies to get us to doubt ourselves and God. No one is exempt from depression. It sneaks up on us and takes over before we even realize what has happened. By then the darkness is so heavy that we can't seem to fight it. But if we pray constantly when this happens, God will bring us back to the light place. It may take days or even weeks but He will bring us through it if we cling to him.

Recently I went through a very deep depression and for the first time in my life actually wanted to stop living. The only thing that helped me was to pray constantly even if the prayer was as simple as "God help me." I consider myself to be a very dedicated christian person and I was still touched by depression. When Satan can't get us to sin the usual way, then he uses other ways to try and get us to turn away from God. He tells us that we are of no value, that was are evil or bad, he tries to get us to believe these bad things. When we turn to God during these times of dispare he can show us that we ARE people of value and that He will make us great for Him.

Other things that help are making yourself do things with other people. Don't stay at home too much but get out and be active. Even when you don't want to. Prayer and Bible study are a must. God will bring you through and give you peace again. Also talk to friends, good christian friends. If you don't have any, then ask God to give you some and he will.

I am praying for you because I know how hard this battle is. Remember that God made you for a reason and he has a special plan for your life. Focus on finding that purpose and God will direct you to his plan for your ife.
Take care and May God Bless you.
Oh yes ...you mention David...It took him sometimes for him to surrender his problem to the Lord and his psalms testifies these..

O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. Psalm 63:1 NIV

Here's a thought from my morning devotion...

SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF GOD, p.167.

WE CHOOSE THE BEST.

WE CHOOSE THE BEST IN FRIENDSHIPS.

""There is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother." Prov. 18:24.

Disappointments you will have, but ever bear in mind that Jesus, the living, risen Saviour, is your Redeemer, your Restorer. He loves you, and it is better to share His love than to sit with princes and be separated from Him....

Come daily to Jesus, who loves you. Open your heart to Him freely. In Him there is no disappointment. You will never find a better counsellor, a safer guide, a more sure defence.

Through all your trials,...you have had a never-failing Friend, who has said,"I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world."

But how often is the Lord neglected for the society of others, and for things of no value!...We dare not let His name languish on our lips, and His love and memory die out of our hearts. "Well," says the cold, formal professor, "this is making Christ too much like a human being;" but the Word of God warrants us to have these very ideas. It is the want of these practical, definite views of Christ, that hinders so many from having a genuine experience in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. This is the reason that many are fearing and doubting and mourning. Their ideas of Christ and the plan of salvation are vague, dreary, and confused....If ever there was a time when men needed the presence of Christ at their right hand, it is now, so that when the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him.

Communion with Christ---how unspeakably precious! Such sommunion it is our privilege to enjoy, if we will seek it.

The everlasting assurance shall be yours that you have a Friend that sticketh closer than a brother."
Something is reponsible for your depression. It is not a good state to be in, so I suggest that you throw whatever it is on God (that's what He is, Our burden bearer). He asks us to cast our cares on Him for He cares for us. CAST means throw with all your force. Let it go, and let God take it over. He is more than able to take care of it. Your depressed state demands much prayer and fasting. I will remember you in my prayers. I want you to do like Jacob, wrestle with God until He blesses you by taking you out of that state of mind. Be blessed for you are highly favoured.
Hi Sister,

So sorry to hear that you get depressed quite often. People get depressed because of biological or external factors such as enduring stressful situations.

One's relationship with God can certainly help to drive away one's depression - Remember the word said, "Thou will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Him". It also encourages us not to worry. Matt. 6: 25-33.

I would like to encourage you to make sure you exercise at least 3 times weekly for about 30 minutes, find a support group, get involved in reaching out to the less fortunate, spend time outside instead of being locked up my yourself and dwell more on the word of God.

I have been there sister and will certainly be praying for you.
Love and blessings,
Ricardo
Well, actually, there is not enough information given, to make a correct answer.

What normally happens, prior to these depressive episodes? Are you normally worrying alot about something? Then Philippians 4:6-8 may help. Let your requests to God be clear, and trust Him. That guarantees peace that people cannot understand (the "peace that passes all understanding) (easier said than done, right?) Verses 13 and 19 may also help.

Fearful? Isaiah 41:10, 13

The text, vs 8, mentions what our thoughts should be on. I have found that when I keep re-living the awful things that were done to me, or, when I worry alot, or when I focus on all that I should have, but do not have, I get depressed. If I were to heed Phil. 4:8, however, I would not go into depression, or if I am in it, obeying vs 8, plus, singing "songs and hymns and spiritual songs", would be the avenue for God to give me back His joy. Praying to Him for His joy and peace to be given to me, also helps. He delights to answer that prayer!

Another thing is Pre-menstral syndrome. Does your depression tend to come on you within 10 days before your periods/menstruation? Then, it could be your hormones.

Have you not been sleeping well? Is your room at home and at work/school, not well lighted with God's sunlight? These can contribute to depression also. There are a number of things that cause depression.

Sometimes I think I am worry to depress myself of not having enough to surrender my problems to Jesus..

If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?Matthew6:30NIV

He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.matthew8:26NIV

Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?" Matthew 14:31

Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, "You of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? Matthew 16:8

He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! Like 12:28

Thanks Trench99, point taken.. the text I love for my own experience to surrender myself more to Jesus.. Yes I have little faith esp when doing outreach job for Jesus...sometimes get depress only to win only few souls in this few years.. Thanks again...
Thanks alot everyone, your comments as well as bible texts are really helping me. Keep adding ok and God bless!
First of all, I am glad you are keeping it real. I think this is why the world has stopped believing; at least the ones who know there is a God,but do not go to church. I often hear people at work saying they stopped going to church because so many people are too phony. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it is good to be in that state of mind. The bible say's, "I Peter 5:7 "Casting all your cares upon him: for he careth for you"." The longer we stay in that state, the devil wins. We just have to have some other saints in our lives we call accountable others. Their job is to be there for us when we are feeling down. We call it here a triangle of love because they are always praying one for another. One person did say it best that you have to go back to the source to find out what is making you so depressed. Once you find that out, you can start dealing with it in a different manner. I'll be praying for you.
a lot of us worry. we are worriers instead of warriors. we are also impatient. and often it is hard to really let go and let God. faith has its measure. i know this because the bible says even if i have a little itty bittty bit of faith (like a mustard seed) i can move mountains. so its not that you don't have faith, you just have to lean a little more on the father instead of you own understanding. be blessed.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service