Adventist Online

Should christians vote in Nation Elections?

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh yes we should vote... let's see from the bible..
Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good. Titus 3:1

Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority 1 Peter 2:13 (New International Version)

I do find a problem when the voting is in Sabbath day... it had been this year in Malaysia when church member are divided over this issue and the SDA Union in this region gave no clear cut answer...
okay, but what about the statement that Ellen White made in the book Gospel Workers about you cannot with safety vote for these men in politics.

I certainly do not have the answer for statement that Ellen White made in the book Gospel Workers about you cannot with safety vote for these men in politics.
But let's see the bible.. the prophecy about politics of Babylon, Persian, Greece or Rom, all pagan politics will by God of their establishment and accurate in their timing..

Yet God ask the prophet to tell the Israelites not to rebel Babylon but to let to be captives in their pagan land..

11 Zedekiah was twenty-one years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem eleven years. 12 He did evil in the eyes of the LORD his God and did not humble himself before Jeremiah the prophet, who spoke the word of the LORD. 13 He also rebelled against King Nebuchadnezzar, who had made him take an oath in God's name. He became stiff-necked and hardened his heart and would not turn to the LORD, the God of Israel. 14 Furthermore, all the leaders of the priests and the people became more and more unfaithful, following all the detestable practices of the nations and defiling the temple of the LORD, which he had consecrated in Jerusalem.15 The LORD, the God of their fathers, sent word to them through his messengers again and again, because he had pity on his people and on his dwelling place. 16 But they mocked God's messengers, despised his words and scoffed at his prophets until the wrath of the LORD was aroused against his people and there was no remedy. 17 He brought up against them the king of the Babylonians, [g] who killed their young men with the sword in the sanctuary, and spared neither young man nor young woman, old man or aged. God handed all of them over to Nebuchadnezzar 2 Chronicles 36:11-17 (New International Version)

Oh yes politics can not be trusted but we obey God because their elected position are will of God's too like Babylon, Persia, Greece and Rom.
Hmmm, You see we will be going to the poles next month in Grenada and i want to be sure i am doing the right thing, and not going against God's will. Any other thought i'll greatly appreciate. Thank You so much.
General election in Nigeria has always been on Saturday and its been quite disturbing. Many Adventists had taken their stand not to par-take of Saturday election.
However, apart from situations where the days of election is in question, I think it is both a duty and a right to paticipate in the exercise. Definitely Sister White couldn't be saying we should not perform a civic duty that is not against the scriptures, but then, we cannot guarantee that the people we vote for will do God's will or serve the people (there are numerous examples of terrible rulers in the Bible). The elections is one of the avenues for us to change/correct a bad system and I think we should all be parts of any positive change.
A discussion was started earlier by Fiona and I choose not to comment but after seeing your discusion I decided not to let this one pass by. A SDA christian has the right to exercise their god-given and civic right to society by voting in general elections, and they also have the right not to if they so choose. The Bible says that we should render unto Caesar what is his, so it is the individual's choice, so when it boils down to voting on the Sabbath I know what I will do but I cannot decide for you. Where I have a problem with the whole issue of general elections is regarding christians involvement. You see in our little third world countries we all know each other and when we as SDA christians opt to be sidelined with a particular political party -by wearing teashirts and little trinkets, having posters on our houses, skipping church services to attend political rallies and meetings, creating divisions right in our churches, and having enemies in the neighbourhoods - I believe that we have stepped way over the boundary line. In my little country over the past years I have known of SDA members who have run for general elections and had to partake of opening a piggery, tell lies, firing our own SDA brothers and sisters who were not supporting their political party, encouraging division in churches where they attend haphazardly, but guess what, some of these were once elders and bright lights in the church (sad to say they are not with us anymore and those who are with us are barely holding on). This is indeed a sad state but Sis White did predict that bright lights will leave. You see, in bible days God was in ultimate control of setting up kingdoms (Babylon, Rome, Media Persia, Greece) and taking them down so I beg to differ when folks allude that God is involved, God could not be, the political environment is filled with slandering, nepotism, victimisation, ill-wills and you name it. The Bible says that we are known and read of all men so we ought to be mindful of what choices we make. There was also the case of a Pastor who recently gave up his position of leading God's flock to accept a political position as an ambassador abroad. My question is "was the pastor called, or was it a whisper" because if God calls someone can that person say listen big man, it's time for me to move on, I am out of here. I am not judging, I am confused. Remember, we are the light of the world.
there is no biblical precedent for voting, since democracy, as we know it, is a 'new phenomenon'. know, however, that those who aspire to high office, are just men. while we may have our prefferences, they can only do so much, especially if they are still unregenerated. jesus instructed us to," occupy 'til he comes" in luke ch 19, but he himself kept his distance from politics,not even commenting on the status-quo. strike the balance. [former politician]

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2022   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service