Adventist Online

should adventist ladies perticipate in beauty pagents.If yes,why or if no why.

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is indeed a tough one... clue number one if you type your question in search engine like google, you indeed find several SDA churches and organizations relating to beauty pagents... Me , I have no answer but to share resource in Biblical Principles of Dress and Adornment Endtime Issues No. 61,http://www.biblicalperspectives.com/endtimeissues/eti_61.pdf
Let's see..

PRINCIPLE ONE: Dress and appearance are an important index of
Christian character.Our outward appearance is a visible and silent testimony of our Christian values.Some people dress and adorn their bodies with costly clothes and jewelry to please themselves. They want to be admired for their wealth, power, or social status. Some dress in accordance with certain fashions to please others. They want to be accepted by their peers by dressing like them. The Christian, however, dresses to glorify God.Clothes are important for Christians because they serve as a frame to reveal the picture of the One whom the Christian serves. “In no better way,” wrote Ellen White, “can you
let your light shine to others than in your simplicity of dress and deportment. You may show to all that, in comparison with eternal things, you place a proper estimate upon the things of this life.” As Christians we cannot say, “What I look like is no one’s business!” because what we look like reflects on our Lord.

PRINCIPLE TWO: Adorning our bodies with colorful cosmetics, glittering
jewelry, and luxurious clothes reveals inner pride and vanity, which are
destructive to ourselves and to others.Isaiah reproves wealthy Jewish women for their pride shown by adorning their bodies from head to foot with glittering jewelry and expensive clothes. They seduced the leaders, who eventually led the whole nation into disobedience and divine punishment (Is 3:16-26).Ezekiel dramatizes the apostasy of Israel and Judah through the allegory of two women, Oholah and Oholibah, who, like Jezebel, painted their eyes and decked themselves with ornaments to entice men to commit adultery with them (Ezek 23). In this allegory again we find cosmetics and ornaments associated with seduction, adultery,
apostasy, and divine punishment.Jeremiah also uses the allegory of a seductive woman dressed in scarlet, with painted eyes and decked with jewelry, to represent the politically abandoned Israel, who is vainly trying to attract her former idolatrous allies (Jer 4:30). Here again cosmetics and jewelry are used to seduce men into adulterous acts.In both the Old and New Testaments we have found a consistent pattern of the use of colorful cosmetics, glittering jewelry, and eye-catching clothes to accomplish seductive purposes. Such a pattern implicitly reveals God’s condemnation of their use. What is taught implicitly through negative examples is reiterated positively by the two great apostles, Paul and Peter, in their condemnation of the use of jewelry and luxurious
clothes. Both apostles contrast the appropriate adorning of Christian women with the inappropriate ornaments of worldly women. Both apostles give us essentially the same list of inappropriate ornaments for the Christian woman. They include eye-catching hair styles, glittering jewelry, and costly clothing (1 Tim 2:9-10; 1 Pet 3:3-4). Both apostles
recognize that the outward ornaments of the body are inconsistent with the appropriate inward ornaments of the heart, the quiet spirit and benevolent deeds.

PRINCIPLE THREE: To experience inner spiritual renewal and
reconciliation with God, it is necessary to remove all outward besetting objects of idolatry, including jewelry and ornaments.At Mount Horeb God requested the Israelites to remove their ornaments as proof of their sincere repentance for worshiping the golden calf: “So now put off your ornaments from you, that I may know what to do with you” (Ex 33:4). Again the response of the people was positive: “Therefore the people of Israel stripped themselves of their ornaments, from Mount Horeb onward” (Ex 33:5). We noted that the phrase “from Mount Horeb onward” implies that repentant Israelites made a commitment at Mount Horeb to
discontinue the use of ornaments in order to show their sincere desire to obey God.

PRINCIPLE FOUR: Christians should dress in a modest and decent way,
showing respect for God, themselves, and others. This principle is found in Paul’s use of the terms kosmios and aidos—“well-ordered” and “decent”—to describe the appropriate adorning of the Christian woman (1 Tim 2:9).The Bible explicitly condemns the lustful look: “Every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart” (Matt 5:28). The revealing clothes promoted by the modern fashion industry awaken lustful passions in the heart of
the beholder and contribute immeasurably to the depravity of our time. By dressing modestly, the Christian woman plays a key role in maintaining public morality.

PRINCIPLE FIVE: Christians should dress soberly, restraining any desire
to exhibit themselves by wearing eye-catching clothes, cosmetics, or jewelry.soberly,”—to describe appropriate Christian adorning (1 Tim 2:9).Paul’s admonition to restrain the desire to buy or wear “expensive clothes” (1 Tim 2:9) also points to the practice of Christian stewardship.

Conclusion.Our outward appearance is a constant silent witness of our Christian identity. May it always tell the world that we live to glorify God and not ourselves.

I still can not answer your question...should adventist ladies perticipate in beauty pagents.If yes,why or if no why.
You may want to review this thread: http://adventistonline.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=1451550%3ATopic... which is on the same subject.
The story of Esther is the only story in the bible that refers, in my opinion, to a beauty pagent. Encouraged by her uncle, Esther entered a miss beauty contest and she won. This story however can not be used to justify participating in beauty pagents for it describes how God has saved His people from the destructive plans of the enemy.
Its not easy to answer this question with a simple yes or no. Personally I would not advise a adventist lady to take part in a beauty contest for the following reasons:
A beauty pagent fixes all attention on self (I don't think that people in the audience will glorify God for making you so beautiful) and not on God.
The kind of influence this contest will have on your character and your relationship with God.
The kind of influence the people you'll eventually meet through this contest will have on you and your relationship with God.
There is no question in my mind that beauty pagents glorify the flesh, and many of those who participate obsess themselves with their outward appearance when they should be concentrating on spiritual things and their relationship with the Lord. Any activity that takes the focus away from the Lord should be participated in. What is the true purpose of these pagents? It is a means to what end?For those who win they nuture that prideful part of their nature (Lucifer's downfall), and those who loose potentially develop low-self esteem, feelings of inadequacy and tend to compare themselves with others which is a sin. We are all so fearfully and wonderfully made by God who is "man" decide standards of beauty and on top of that give awards for something that is celebrating the flesh. There is a saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if we are made in His image and have inivited the Holy Spirit into our life our eye should see the same as the Lord. Beauty essentially is from the inside. If we are going to have competitions for "beauty" it should be for beautiful "deeds" that reflect God's love.
I dont think we, as Adventists, should participate in beauty pageants.It's obviously a wordly thing. On such event,the ladies are to show their skins.And this is against our doctrine of modesty.Smart question!
God made their shapes and skins. I don't think He is embarrassed. I think the Lord is pleased with His work.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service