Adventist Online

I have two good Christian friends who I love and appreciate. They have been supportive to me in many ways.They are both non-Adventists. We get together and pray often and they both speak in tongues at times. I have never addressed the issue, but I know that this unintelligible language is not biblical. I have taken the matter to the Lord. I appreciate their presence in my life but I dont feel comfortable with it and I feel I am there to share the Sabbath with them . Advice welcome.

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One of the best reference in speaking in tougues is found in DVD Charisma of the Spirit, from http://amazingdiscoveries.org/store/902-charisma-of-the-spiritdvd-p... by Prof. Dr. Walter Veith ..

In my outreach experience ,... this is a problem to me.. I have no answer to you. Regular prayers and bible studies with them solve one of my problem of wining them out of speaking in tongues but the battle is not won yet as brother A has not baptist to SDA church yet.. We can pray for each other..
37 Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few;

38 "therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest." Matthew 9:37-38
If you go to your bible in Genesis 11 1-9
you will see that the whole world spoke in one language(tongue).
They sought to build a tower so high that it would reach heaven
so God had to confound their language to where they could not
understand one another. Heading on speaking in tongue only refers
to another language that can be interpreted by another. A good example
is when the holy spirit fell on the disciples and everybody there could hear
them in their own tongue(Acts chapter 2). Also here is another passage
letting us know that the word tongue means language(Isaiah 66:18)
South India was the first place to the west of Israel and very specially in Asia where Christianity took its roots almost 2000 years ago!! My father's ancestors were the first family to be converted to Christianity in AD 52 by St.Thomas, the apostle of Jesus Christ.
India is the land of hundreds of languages and thousands of dialects!! And the most difficult language in India is MALAYALAM which is the language of the Keralites who inhabit Kerala State in south India. Once you master Malayalam, its very easy to master all the other Indian languages and also we can sing in all the other Indian languages!!! But not vice versa!!!
Historically, there were many foreigh travellers who visited Kerala State as thats where you get the BLACK PEPPER and SPICES to flavour your food. So sea routes to Kerala State in ancient times was known as the SPICE ROUTE like the journey to China was known as the SILK ROUTE
St.Thomas was the only foreigner to step off a boat/merchant vessel with a thoriugh knowledge of Malayalam and this was the main reason why he was so successful in reaching out and converting so many people into Christianity in a few years before he was killed by some ignorant tribal soldier!!
Its in our Kerala Historical archives that when he was asked as to how he knew Malayalam, he mentioned that He was given this "gift" on the Day of the Pentecost back in Israel when the disciples were all gathered together in prayer and fasting and they were all given the gift of speaking in tongues!!! That means each of them mastered a new language of different parts of the world and naturally that was God's way of preparing them for the GOOD NEWS to those places where these languages are spoken.
For us Keralites, we are so honoured and blessed by this revelation which even the other religions in Kerala know, This gained most significance, because all other travellers and Christian missionaries after him had to either soend years to learn the language or appointed translators!!!
The present kind of GIBBERISH you hear in the various churches here is pure NONSENCE
Please don't be part of this foolishness!!!
My advice to you is to be careful in how you approach such a sensitive topic. Let them learn to respect you as a Christian first and foremost, based on your lifestyle as a Seventh-Day Adventist. Its pointless having to discuss with people of other beliefs what we see wrong about their doctrines if we fail to live what we believe.

My approach is to ask them to approach the understanding of the relevant texts used to support speaking in tongues from the original manuscript. Often they are usually surprised when they come to realize that the word "unknown" found in 1 Cor. 14 is not found in the original manuscript. So in actual fact the word "unknown" was applied. In fact when we now see the word "tongues" standing by itself in the sentence it changes the whole meaning of things.

The word tongues simply means languages. Their job will be to prove that this tongue is a mystery language. Our job is to prove from scripture that tongues as used in the bible represents an earthly language. They always make it seem that all must speak with tongues in order to fully recieve the Holy Ghost. Our job is to use 1 Cor. 12 to show that not all will speak in tongues. Our job is to also use 1 Cor. 14 to show that the gift of prophecy, unlike the gift of tongues, builds up God's church rather than the individual.

Our job is to also show the relationship between the tongues of Acts 2 and that of the tongues mentioned by Paul to the Corinthian church. They are one and the same gift that was given for the purpose of breaking the language barrier, without having to spend time studying a foreign language.

Those who stress tongues fail to grasp what Paul says, when he said that "tongues are a sign to unbelievers" It was never meant to measure, or quantify how much of God's Spirit a believer has. The presence of God's Spirit is better manifested through its fruit in our lives. Hence Jesus said..."by their fruits ye shall know them"

Your first goal however, is to get all parties to consult the bible. If they prefer giving opinions rather than scripture, then you have a problem.
Thank you everyone for your comments. I agree 100%. Honestly and truly I don't see how the word can be any clearer about the meaning of tongues. Satan has found a way to deceive many people into thinking they have a special language in which they communicate with the Lord. And some people are so strong about their position. I am in a position where I do not want to judge but at the same time I do see the necessity of the truth to be known. I also realize too that it is only the Holy Spirit that can convict someone of this. Like Bobby says I need to just show myself as an example. It is through this that people will be prompted by the Holy Spirit. When the opportunity arises I would like to have a peaceful discussion in love and let the the Holy Spirit through the word reveal truth. My friends (also co-workers) have been very supportive to me and I enjoy their company, but do I pose a risk to myself every time I am in the midst of these "babblings"?
Keep worshipping together. I don't see it as a risk per se. You may feel a bit uncomfortable, but let them be the first to ask you why is it you don't speak in tongues, assuming they haven't asked you already.

Sometimes when you take the initiative it backfires. The fact that they are supportive of you says a lot. It means they trust you. Christians who stress tongues usually wake up to the reality that that isn't enough to maintain holiness. You and I may be aware as to whats really behind their emotional experiences, and it usually is difficult to be straight forward in discussing such a sensitive topic.

Let them see that a holy life isn't dependent on speaking in tongues as a sign of being filled with the Holy Ghost.

As I have suggested let them make the first move.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service