Adventist Online

This is a topic that is hotly debated in my part of the globe and it has been quite troubling to me. It seems to me that some people are of the believe that the cinema building and not the movies is what we should be concern about.
I say this because it seems to me that though some emphasis is placed on the shows we view, once the show is good we can look at it at home but not in public. It seems contradictory to me.
I invite your views, please.

Views: 478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Adventist should refrain from cinema ,the bible states that blessed is the man that sitteth not in the seat of the scornful, nor standeth in the way of sinners, the bible warns us as adventist christians to come out of her my people, we should not be intangle in the world, we must be a people of Christ, and christian that look at the same pictures the world are looking at , it will be the same as going to cinema.In the privacy of your home you have the choice to look at pictures that would glorify God, whatever is lovely and of a good report we can look at.
I do not believe that I, or any other person was "sitting in the seat of the scornful or in the way of sinners" when we went to see the movie "Expelled" (a documentary about how scientists who want to examine intelligent design are being persecuted, silenced and fired); "Akeelah and the Bee" (a movie about a young girl who learns to work hard for what is important); "Facing the Giants" (Which is a movie about trusting in God and being true when it seems much easier to fall in with the crowd) and several others I could name.

Phillipians 4:8 states "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

There is more than enough information about movies before they come out for a person to make a decision as to whether or not they should expose themselves. If we are mindful of Phillipians 4:8, we can make intelligent decisions about what we read, watch, listen to; what we wear, eat, drink; where we go; etc. We do not have to throw the baby out with the bathwater as the saying goes.
Girl you make me proud.
If you enjoyed Facing the Giants then by all means be sure to see the movie "Fireproof".....It was made by the same people and should be seen by all Christians.

This is a difficult question no clear cut answers from the bible...or 28 SDA fundalmentals. However books in Spirit of Prophecy do warns us.... Most important is our christian maturity...I may be a hypocrite because I do not see any problem if any person wishes to do so...
So, as the Holy Spirit says:
"Today, if you hear his voice, Hebrews 3:7 (New International Version)

For the word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are. Hebrews 4:12 (NLT)
This is my own opinion: As an Adventist, i am myself will not go to cinema building for a movies. But in some isolated place when i growth on the 1980s (on that years that area still categorized undeveloped) at day time using for school and at night that building become community area for movies. That is another setting might be different on your place.

But let us back to the main issue, is the place to avoid or the situation and the movie it self that can lead us to the temptation?

Now adays VCD and DVD enter to our own room, till to our bedroom. Is the Cinema place still the issue?? Of course not. Satan is very intelligent now to bring His people to do something not good or it is better for them to fall in to Sin.

For me, i am little bit confused with all of this things, we have not to banned techonology, because through technology "God's work" also become more easy to spread. It is now back to ourselves to have VCD and DVD player in our house and be wise to choose the things that we wanna play. It is same thing like TV.

So, for your question of cinema building, it is ok for us to go there. But not for movie. Have you heard about the story that on 1980's Adventist member saw their Pastor on the crowded of people in Cinema building? :) This is true story in Indonesia. The answer is the pastor did'nt know if that place is cinema, so on his way to somewhere else with big raining, he stop there to wait till the heavy rains stop and continue his trip. But the member already told to some of the other member that he saw their Pastor on the Cinema. :)) :))
so if we do not go to the building for movie watching....why are we going?
Where I am from I've been tought that adventist shouldn't go to the cinema. The reasons were that movies glorify the things that God prohibits, that visitors smoke, drink and use dirty language and that it is not a place where people seek the Lord. And to emphazise this we use to sing a song: "The place I use to go I will go there no more". Until I moved to a secular country where adventist did go to the cinema. They didn't find the reasons valid enough for not going.
I believe that everything we do we should do to glorify the Lord. We shouldn't be like the world, but be an example that others can safely follow. Cinema's and movies are responsible for the decay of moral principles in the world today as well as in the church. If we want to spent eternity with a Holy God, we should shun those things that will make us unfit for heaven.
so in my case in my country in most malls, its a non smoking and non drinking environment... no crude languagr... do u think it is ok then?
My fellow christians, there is lots of confussion from what I have read here. First of all most of the adventist brought up in 3rd world countries are kind of married to their faith. Such are those who say wearing pants is a sin, yet no where in the bible claims such a thing. In the old days women wore robes..we are now in the 21st century and modest dressing is recommended for christians.
About going to the cinema, it all depends on what you are going to watch. If it will corrupt your mind and take your eyes away from christ then you should not watch such. If its a comedy or non violent regular movie, why not watch it? remeber most of these movies have lots of life lessons to learn from. haven't we all watched the story of Jesus, or Moses or Kind David, or Samson..so was that wrong.
Fellow advetist, please do not wear your faith on your sleeves. Do not worship your faith. In all always ask God for to guide you where in doubt.
I would be general as I believe that we tend to focus on things that takes us awaw from what is truly important. All our actions should bring glory to God, and so if Going to the Movies would not then there's your answer. We are all at different stages of maturity in our christian walk and our belief system would guide our decision.

We should be focused on what more can we do to spread the Good News. Have we been reaching those that thirst after righteousness. Or are we like the Scribes and Pharisees looking to crusify those who have fallen in sin or are we purposing to be like Christ who says go ye and sin no more?

Are we doing what we say or like the saying goes "do what I say but not as I do?"
i know what you mean, I'm always questioning it. here in Trinidad, in one of the malls, there is no smoking or drinking allowed in the cinema, i went there last Christmas to watch this Christmas and it was not a big deal. see i was told that it was not a good place because of the environment so since the environment was clean i saw no problem with it. I . don't know what do guys think?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service