Adventist Online

This is a topic that is hotly debated in my part of the globe and it has been quite troubling to me. It seems to me that some people are of the believe that the cinema building and not the movies is what we should be concern about.
I say this because it seems to me that though some emphasis is placed on the shows we view, once the show is good we can look at it at home but not in public. It seems contradictory to me.
I invite your views, please.

Views: 462

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We are hyprocrites. What is wrong with the building. I have never been to a movie theater, however, I still maintain that Adventist should emphasis discriminate viewing and not censor the theater.
We sit here on our high horse thinking like the Pharisees and the Scribes. We are looking down our noses at the theater where many of us who are giving advice about not going, go to the very thing that we say we are against every time we get the chance. It is not the theater, but what it is that you decide to watch. Yes your eyes are the gateway to the soul so they should be gaurded.
Everyone of us have at least one t.v. in our home with cable or satelite. We sit in the privacy of our homes and watch soap operas and wonder why our marriages are in danger of dissolve. We watch every scary and demonic movie that come on television and wonder why we have a fear of demons and why deamons ore in our homes.
Yes I am the Head Elder in the Church and I select what I decide to go and watch at the cinemas. When Sis. White was saying that the theater was a bad place to go it was because there were mostly men in every role. When you would see a man kissing a woman it was actually a man kissing a man. There were also me dressed like women. Yes that is in the movies today, that is why you select what you watch. Today they are movies geared towards homosexuality. There are even two states Mass. and Calif. that has passed a law for same sex marriage, are you not going to visit those two states because they are bad for you. This epedimic is going to cross the entire United States and the World, where are you going to live before God come to gather His children?
If you do not want to go that is you right not to.
I guess that because prostitution is wrong Jesus should not have gone to Mary Madgelene's house every time He was in town for a place of rest. Not a place of sexual favors. Think about it people, don't be so heveanly minded that you are no earthly good.

Brother..you answer well to the point.
I quite agree. If you're going to argue about the building not being appropriate, then might as well argue about watching certain movies on cable.
if we can agree that cinemas were designed to cater to a predominantly unconverted crowd, that subscribe to a set of values that are not endorsed by heaven, then perhaps, we may find an answer with less difficulty.
The fact that they sometimes air a 'good movie' is not very relevant here. Do we go into bars because we can order 'soft drinks' which are always available as chasers?
In our various ministries we are always on stage. The world continuously scrutinizes us, the exemplars, for the model/ideal that will be the solution to the madness that they are now trapped in. Is this action adding value to the impact that we wish to make for the kingdom?
When we visit the cinema, do the unregenerate onlookers rationalize that we are going to view a 'clean' movie or do they unconsciously conclude that we are participating in the same type of entertainment that they into and therefore not making the difference that would qualify us to be the salt that Jesus said we are; that catalyst that would bring out the flavor while preserving the value of our society.
Where to view is equally important as what to view. If we are to help others cross the line from perdition to salvation we need to calculate the value [ to them, not us] of our every action. We must have the Bible in one hand and a map of the human mind in the other. "...he that wins souls is wise" Pro 11:30.
It's not only about the 'right movie', it's also about the 'right move'. SHALOM.
Hi Mr.Samuel. I'M sorry for taking so long to reply your comment as well as the other comments. I wasn't feeling perky lately and I would like that you pray for me and my Family. I have an eighteen month old daughter and a wife and we can really benefit from your prayers. I'm really trying to ascertain a firm doctrinal position on this topic so I'm hoping for a grounded reply. I musst say that it seems to me that when the doctrine about the theather was iniated there weren't any cinemas just theathers. In these theathers the highlight each and every time was the obscene going against the very biblical principles of abstaining from vain and vile conversations as well as lusts. what was not accepted in society could have been portrayed on these sstages and accepted with hearty laughters from individuals who would scorn such acts if acted out in every day life. I must say that there are still theathers today where the vile and the common are exalted during every sstage performance and I have no doubt that such an atmospherre must be shunned be every God-ffearing individual. I believe that though the cinema was birthed out of the theather it has gained an identity of its own. I say this because though the vile and common are exalted in the cinemas I dare say that it is not in every show. The only time that the theather to my knowledge has not exalted the vile and the common it has misreprresented biblical history in an effort to bring entertainment to a bible based people. This has occurred with the cinema shows as well but can we honestly say that there are no shows that has positivity according to biblical ideals that do not have the pretense of biblical aspirations that we can safely look at. I've noticed that you have admonished that the right moves are necessary as well. Answer this for me then. A well renowned pastor enters into a bar in his small community in an effort to rreach out to his community members and this - I"M using his words now and not mine- is because he realised that Jesus while on earth moved in circles that even today we will look down on. Jesus came for the sinners and so He reached them where they were at. the point I'm drawing here is that it seems to me that you are saying partially shun the very appearance of evil and so can you put in perspective the bar as well as the cinema if both places were visited out of good intentions by a strong believer. I'm using strong believer here based on Paul's advice concerning eating meat offered upto idols.
Lastly, having made the point that the cinema today and the theather then just may have enough differences that those who are wise can safely visit- you are free to agree or disagree- is there something wrong with taking my daughter to see Lion King as an example at a drive thru cinema which bears similarity with a plain park. Your child is free as well as I am to run around and a family can socialize as in a park the only difference being a big screen showing a movie at the front.
I'm looking forward to your response.
well there nothing wrong with the building is watch that the problem due the content of films r not christ like
My take is this.

If the movie is motivational wait until it is on dvd format and watch it at home. In that way you can see it again and be able to show it to those who didn't get a chance to see it from day one.

Movie houses were not dedicated for christians. In fact all sorts of questionable movies are shown there, albeit good ones sometimes. Satan is very subtle, and he will make us think that because a good movie is showing it is fine to go see it.

I mean I didn't have to go to the cinema to see "The Passion of the Christ". I simply waited for the excitement to die down, and then I got the dvd. In fact I saw that movie at a church social some years ago, before I got the free dvd.

Besides, all that money spent could be used for a better purpose.
Bobby - I don't agree with this logic. According to what you states, we are only supposed to go into places dedicated for Christians. If this is the case, then we should not go to the supermarket because it sells pork, catfish, and gossip magazines. We have to know how to be in the world and not of the world. With Christ, I can be a lily in the midst of a messy valley.
very hot topic. The enemy is busy my friends and so he puts things in shades of gray and other colours to trap us. What's the big deal about wanting going to the cinema? there are other things we can get involved in. there is masterguides. drama ministry, music ministry. get involved and don't depend on hollywood to entertain us solely. the bible talks very highly about the youth. that means that God expects us to achieve great things! forget the cinema...make your own production and help someone to christ.
Hi Mr. Chapman. I'M sorry for taking so long to reply your comment as well as the other comments. I wasn't feeling perky lately and I would like that you pray for me and my Family. I have an eighteen month old daughter and a wife and we can really benefit from your prayers. I'm really trying to ascertain a firm doctrinal position on this topic so I'm hoping for a grounded reply. I musst say that it seems to me that when the doctrine about the theather was iniated there weren't any cinemas just theathers. In these theathers the highlight each and every time was the obscene going against the very biblical principles of abstaining from vain and vile conversations as well as lusts. what was not accepted in society could have been portrayed on these sstages and accepted with hearty laughters from individuals who would scorn such acts if acted out in every day life. I must say that there are still theathers today where the vile and the common are exalted during every sstage performance and I have no doubt that such an atmospherre must be shunned be every God-ffearing individual. I believe that though the cinema was birthed out of the theather it has gained an identity of its own. I say this because though the vile and common are exalted in the cinemas I dare say that it is not in every show. The only time that the theather to my knowledge has not exalted the vile and the common it has misreprresented biblical history in an effort to bring entertainment to a bible based people. This has occurred with the cinema shows as well but can we honestly say that there are no shows that has positivity according to biblical ideals that do not have the pretense of biblical aspirations that we can safely look at. I've noticed that you have admonished that the right moves are necessary as well. Answer this for me then. A well renowned pastor enters into a bar in his small community in an effort to rreach out to his community members and this - I"M using his words now and not mine- is because he realised that Jesus while on earth moved in circles that even today we will look down on. Jesus came for the sinners and so He reached them where they were at. the point I'm drawing here is that it seems to me that you are saying partially shun the very appearance of evil and so can you put in perspective the bar as well as the cinema if both places were visited out of good intentions by a strong believer. I'm using strong believer here based on Paul's advice concerning eating meat offered upto idols.
Lastly, having made the point that the cinema today and the theather then just may have enough differences that those who are wise can safely visit- you are free to agree or disagree- is there something wrong with taking my daughter to see Lion King as an example at a drive thru cinema which bears similarity with a plain park. Your child is free as well as I am to run around and a family can socialize as in a park the only difference being a big screen showing a movie at the front.
I'm looking forward to your response.
Here is the issue as I understand it. Everything that takes our interest away from the Bible should be shunned, and everything that makes us more interested in the Bible should be welcomed.

Today, the cinema is designed to excite the senses. Just like the amusement park, the nerves are the target in the cinema. Once excited, we lose our desire for the more calmer, quieter things of God, especially the Bible. This was the issue with the Tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It is the issue in Ellen White's counsel. She was God-sent to get a people ready for Jesus to come in person with all heaven with Him.

We need to be sanctified. That demands our full attention to the Bible. There are many deceptions already out in the world to separate us from our only light and truth. We live in dark times because the Spirit of God is being tempted to leave by our forgetfulness of Him. As time progresses we will see more and more of this. We aren't safe wasting our time with TV and movies. We need to spend every waking moment in the school of Christ and His cross, learning of Him. We must not let anything divide us from Him.

The sensual media of TV and movies leave us desiring more of the same, and the Bible, prayer, winning people to Jesus, meditating on the Word of God lose their good flavor to our souls. We become intoxicated with the delicious things Babylon has to offer. Have we already forgotten the 4th angel's message to be given at the very end? "And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.

For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies." (Rev. 18:2,3).

Let's keep all this in mind, dear brothers and sisters. We need to study and read the Bible much more than we are.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service