Adventist Online

This is a topic that is hotly debated in my part of the globe and it has been quite troubling to me. It seems to me that some people are of the believe that the cinema building and not the movies is what we should be concern about.
I say this because it seems to me that though some emphasis is placed on the shows we view, once the show is good we can look at it at home but not in public. It seems contradictory to me.
I invite your views, please.

Views: 462

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I keep reading that we need to wait until it come out on DVD to watch it in the privacy of our homes. What the world see us do is more important than what they do not see. What I am saying is this, If the woeld never see us do something good at the cinema like go and watch a tasteful movie how will they know that we disagree with the obscene culture in the movies that they watch. When they ask you have you seen a certian movie and you say yes, they ask you what theater did you see it at, you say in the privacy of my home. They ask you why did you wait, you will tell them that going to the cinema is bad, then they will ask you this most important question, what is worse me going to the movies to see it or you being a hypocrite and hiding in your house to look at it, which one is worse? Do you get the meaning of this?
Hi Mr.David. I'M sorry for taking so long to reply your comment as well as the other comments. I wasn't feeling perky lately and I would like that you pray for me and my Family. I have an eighteen month old daughter and a wife and we can really benefit from your prayers. I'm really trying to ascertain a firm doctrinal position on this topic so I'm hoping for a grounded reply. I musst say that it seems to me that when the doctrine about the theather was iniated there weren't any cinemas just theathers. In these theathers the highlight each and every time was the obscene going against the very biblical principles of abstaining from vain and vile conversations as well as lusts. what was not accepted in society could have been portrayed on these sstages and accepted with hearty laughters from individuals who would scorn such acts if acted out in every day life. I must say that there are still theathers today where the vile and the common are exalted during every sstage performance and I have no doubt that such an atmospherre must be shunned be every God-ffearing individual. I believe that though the cinema was birthed out of the theather it has gained an identity of its own. I say this because though the vile and common are exalted in the cinemas I dare say that it is not in every show. The only time that the theather to my knowledge has not exalted the vile and the common it has misreprresented biblical history in an effort to bring entertainment to a bible based people. This has occurred with the cinema shows as well but can we honestly say that there are no shows that has positivity according to biblical ideals that do not have the pretense of biblical aspirations that we can safely look at. I've noticed that you have admonished that the right moves are necessary as well. Answer this for me then. A well renowned pastor enters into a bar in his small community in an effort to rreach out to his community members and this - I"M using his words now and not mine- is because he realised that Jesus while on earth moved in circles that even today we will look down on. Jesus came for the sinners and so He reached them where they were at. the point I'm drawing here is that it seems to me that you are saying partially shun the very appearance of evil and so can you put in perspective the bar as well as the cinema if both places were visited out of good intentions by a strong believer. I'm using strong believer here based on Paul's advice concerning eating meat offered upto idols.
Lastly, having made the point that the cinema today and the theather then just may have enough differences that those who are wise can safely visit- you are free to agree or disagree- is there something wrong with taking my daughter to see Lion King as an example at a drive thru cinema which bears similarity with a plain park. Your child is free as well as I am to run around and a family can socialize as in a park the only difference being a big screen showing a movie at the front.
I'm looking forward to your response.
Hi Mr.David. I'M sorry for taking so long to reply your comment as well as the other comments. I wasn't feeling perky lately and I would like that you pray for me and my Family. I have an eighteen month old daughter and a wife and we can really benefit from your prayers. I'm really trying to ascertain a firm doctrinal position on this topic so I'm hoping for a grounded reply. I musst say that it seems to me that when the doctrine about the theather was iniated there weren't any cinemas just theathers. In these theathers the highlight each and every time was the obscene going against the very biblical principles of abstaining from vain and vile conversations as well as lusts. what was not accepted in society could have been portrayed on these sstages and accepted with hearty laughters from individuals who would scorn such acts if acted out in every day life. I must say that there are still theathers today where the vile and the common are exalted during every sstage performance and I have no doubt that such an atmospherre must be shunned be every God-ffearing individual. I believe that though the cinema was birthed out of the theather it has gained an identity of its own. I say this because though the vile and common are exalted in the cinemas I dare say that it is not in every show. The only time that the theather to my knowledge has not exalted the vile and the common it has misreprresented biblical history in an effort to bring entertainment to a bible based people. This has occurred with the cinema shows as well but can we honestly say that there are no shows that has positivity according to biblical ideals that do not have the pretense of biblical aspirations that we can safely look at. I've noticed that you have admonished that the right moves are necessary as well. Answer this for me then. A well renowned pastor enters into a bar in his small community in an effort to rreach out to his community members and this - I"M using his words now and not mine- is because he realised that Jesus while on earth moved in circles that even today we will look down on. Jesus came for the sinners and so He reached them where they were at. the point I'm drawing here is that it seems to me that you are saying partially shun the very appearance of evil and so can you put in perspective the bar as well as the cinema if both places were visited out of good intentions by a strong believer. I'm using strong believer here based on Paul's advice concerning eating meat offered upto idols.
Lastly, having made the point that the cinema today and the theather then just may have enough differences that those who are wise can safely visit- you are free to agree or disagree- is there something wrong with taking my daughter to see Lion King as an example at a drive thru cinema which bears similarity with a plain park. Your child is free as well as I am to run around and a family can socialize as in a park the only difference being a big screen showing a movie at the front.
I'm looking forward to your response.
I would say it depends on what you are watching there. But in this Day and age there is nothing for us adventist there so we have no business bn there
Every form of media and entertainment has blessings and curses. It all depends on whay you choose and select to watch. In India, the tribals and semi-tribal people were introduced to Christianity through the Cinema and movies of "The Bible" "The Ten Commandments" "Jesus of Nazareth" and the videos showing the Christian musical groups and evangelists. The audio-visual method is very eye-catching and appealing to the masses.
Personally I watch a lot of movies, but only those with a good storyline and one which can be enjoyed with minors.
Only a Christian eccentric or a fanatic will bluntly prohibit watching movies!!!
I believe all Adventists benefit from a better understanding of the art and particularly cinematic literacy. Arguing about which building you choose to watch your films in is pointless. It misses the principle completely.

I would argue that the cinematic art form is neutral, just as money is neutral, and can be used to promote both goodness and darkness. It depends on the motivations of the storytellers and the interests of those investing in creating the material. And for most films, which are products created to sell to a market, it comes down to box office receipts. If nobody ever watched a horror movie, then the genre would disappear, but as long as a market exists, people will create product for it.

Luckily, there are many filmmakers who come from an Adventist background who are interested in expressing their faith, searching for answers to difficult questions, and exploring their spirituality through the art of cinema. There are many film programs in our colleges now and the North American Division even sponsors an annual film festival that plays inspiring films made by Adventists and others. For more info, check out: http://www.sonscreen.com

I would love to see this forum discuss and critique films that have meaning for us than teach that we should avoid all cinema or certain buildings.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service