Adventist Online

Now that the state of California has also legalized marriages between people from the same sex, I wonder how we should relate to this matter. What should the church do when such a couple requests to be blessed in our church. Think about the reaction of human rights movements if we would say no. What will you do if you're invited to a same sex wedding.

Views: 769

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Under no circumstances should our church leave it unclear as to what God's Word teaches in this regard. The reaction of the rest of the world is irrelevant. The church CANNOT bless two men or two women getting married or living together, even if the whole world supports it or if the world condemns the church for taking a stand against it. To do otherwise would be to bless something that God has said is sin. The church cannot bless sin. If our church blesses gay marriages, it would by that act become a part of the fallen churches. It would be the same as blessing fornication, which is exactly what gay sexual relationships are.

At the same time, gays should be respected and loved the same as heterosexual people are-- the Bible does not condone name-calling, ridiculing or harming them. The church needs to make it clear that its stand against gay marriage is not due to any hatred of gay, but it is due to what the Bible teaches about marriage and about God's law.

The Bible teaches that God has the power to help gay people change. Not necessarily for gays to become heterosexual but for gays to live in conformity to God's will and in obedience to the Holy Spirit.

If I were asked by friends to attend a same sex marriage, I would make it plain that I care very much for the people, but I could not give the impression that I am blessing the "marriage" by my presence.
The Bible is clear about how God views homosexuality and any type of fornication. This was the sin of Sodom and this is why God destroyed those wicked cities. The Gospel is the Good News of Gods love for all of us no matter what we have done or where we are in our walk of life. But Gods love for mankind is so great that He doesn't want to leave us in our pit of wretchedness on this earth. The Gospel is Gods plan to restore His Divine image back into humanity as it was in the beginning. "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." 2 Cor. 5:17 We must take this as it reads and by faith believe that God is able to do this great work in us. The Bible is very clear what types of people will not enter the kingdom of God. See Gal. 5:19-21 and Rev.21:8. This is not because God hates the sinner. But because those who are finally lost didn't let go of the character defects that separated them from the Savior and rejected Gods mercy and power to restore them into the image of God. Let us love the sinner into the truth. God will change their heart-we are here to point the way. Either by our Silence or our Presence we condone sin! This is a heart issue. Lets get to their heart.
There is no actual correlation between the fact that there were homosexuals living in Sodom and its destruction, but it isn't hard to imagine that the kind of lifestyle itself contributed to the city's demise.

However, Paul in his letter to the church at Rome said thus:

Romans 1:26... For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
You know same sex marriages is a complete no no not only for me but for every christian. Remember Sodom and Gomorrah? It is part of sin called "sodomy".
Now I dont want to seem to put you down for your question..... But really why would some homosexual couple want a blessing from the SDA church given the churches stand on these types of relationships? And how is it that this is a human rights issue? Are a persons personal relationship choices a matter of human rights? As for the issue of going to a wedding..... Do you have any gay friends that have invited you to their wedding? I know of some gay people but I dont know them well enough for them to ask me to attend. Please clarify for me if you could.
I like your questions.

.... how is it that this is a human rights issue ...

I will try to answer this question from a human rights perspective.
The right to get married is a basic human right and recognized in many international human rights instruments. European and international decisions on homo sexuality and same-sex relationships have ruled that homosexuals enjoy the same rights as heterosexuals. Excluding a gay couple from the status of civil marriage is a form of discrimination based on sexual orientation. According to those decisions, all benefits and rights granted by governments to heterosexual couples should be granted to same sex partners as well.

The question that arises is whether the church should recognize the right of gays to get married as well.
I don't think that a goverment can force churches to marry same-sex couples. That would breach religious freedom. However, there are churches that have been sued by gay couples for denying them use of their facilities for a wedding ceremony and those churches have lost the case, despite their basic human right to religious freedom.

If I approach this question from a biblical point of view, in my opinion, marriage is not a right but a privilege, a gift from God.

I am happy to say that I don't know one single example of a SDA church that was asked to bless a gay wedding. There are churches of other denominations that have blessed those weddings. I do remember the blessing of a wedding of two male priests in the Anglican church in the UK, despite the strong opposition of the Roman Catholic church.

To be honest, I would be really up-set if gay friends would invite me to their wedding. A gay friend should know my views on gay marriages and will regard giving me a wedding invitation a waste of time and money
Joey

Oh, yes, this is a human rights issue. Every human being has a right to make a fool out of themselves and destroy themselves if they want to. So, in fact, it is a human rights issue. Right? They just do not have a right to demand that everyone else approve of their foolishness. That is a right that they do not have.

Ray
I don't have any gay friends who married or have asked for a blessing from church for a wedding. But in general, I disagree on homosexual marriages. God made man and woman, Adam and Eve perfect according to His image. God bless.
Personally, I would go to a same sex wedding. I would bless them in my prayers everynight. Just because they are doing something I don't approve of doesn't mean I can't bless them. We're supposed to look past faults and love the person underneath. It's God's job to judge and condemn, not ours. God did not intend for same sex marriges to happen, but he also didn't intend for anything to be killed or for insecurity to exist, but it's everywhere. It's not just us playing the roles of our lives, gays and straights alike. Satan takes control, especially when we chose not to believe in God. I don't think the gays need us to turn our backs on them because we don't like their sexual orientation.
Chelsea, I do not think that showing someone that you believe what they are doing is sinful is the same as turning your back on them. In fact, 'blessing' them in sin may be more catastrophic for their spirituality. If invited to a gay wedding, I would politely decline and tell them why as lovingly as possible.

Similarly, I would not attend a non-Adventist wedding on Sabbath (like I have done before).
I didn't say I would bless the relationship. Blessing a person is different from blessing what they are doing. If I wasn't being prayed for before I had become Christian, I probably would not be where I am today. I have to have faith that God is going to work with them and I can only help by praying. I've learned from expierences on both sides of the fence that people don't generally like hearing that they are wrong and that we don't approve. I agree that showing and turning our backs are two completely different things and I apologize for making it seem otherwise.
Chelsea

Yes, I would pray for them too, but not for God to bless them, as the choices they have made place themselves in a position where God cannot bless them. They have placed themselves outside of His blessings.

While it is true that we can love the sinner, we are never to love or approve of their sin. I can't imagine a "gay" (what is so happy about such a life style?) couple even wanting to be around a sincere Christian. The life of a Christian would be a constant rebuke to them and it will make them uncomfortable. If a homosexual couple can be comfortable around me, then I had better take a hard look at the message my life is sending out. I must take a hard look at who's side in the Great Controversy between Christ and Satan that I am really on.

Maranatha :)
Ray

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com