Adventist Online

Now that the state of California has also legalized marriages between people from the same sex, I wonder how we should relate to this matter. What should the church do when such a couple requests to be blessed in our church. Think about the reaction of human rights movements if we would say no. What will you do if you're invited to a same sex wedding.

Views: 793

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow. That doesn't happen very often.
are you keeping count?
Well said Michael. That you for so clearly articulating the opposition side to all these protestations.
It scares me as a christian who is a seventh -day Adventist to hear an Adventist pastor saying he have no problem going to a same-sex marriage. Come on pastor do you really think that is the right thing to do, do you honestly think that God would be please with that. Going there is telling them you support them and what they are doing is okay.
I think he clearly indicated he thinks it is right and just and that God would clearly be pleased. Perhaps you missed his testimony on that . I think it is spot on. I ain't no pastor ... but I can recognize a good Spirit lead pastor when I see one. And he adaquately addressed your invention that going there indicates you approve of it. That is simply a made up fabrication.

And after all ... he is one of your's. A fellow Canadian appointed by God to spread the Good News. I think God would want us to show him a little more respect.
What makes you think all pastors are appointed by God? Some have the calling by the Holy Spirit. Some graduate from seminary and are never even converted. They just "get a job" then proceed to wreck the gospel of Christ. Sequeria has done incalculable damage to the real gospel. I know, he was in this local church brought in by the local "minister" who himself preaches a no repentance false gospel.

The people see that they have been deluded. They accuse one another of having led them to destruction; but all unite in heaping their bitterest condemnation upon the ministers. Unfaithful pastors have prophesied smooth things; they have led their hearers to make void the law of God and to persecute those who would keep it holy. Now, in their despair, these teachers confess before the world their work of deception. The multitudes are filled with fury. “We
are lost!” they cry, “and you are the cause of our ruin;” and they turn upon the false shepherds. The very ones that once admired them most, will pronounce the most dreadful curses upon them. The very hands that once crowned them with laurels will be raised for their destruction. The swords which were to slay God's people are now employed to destroy their enemies. Everywhere there is strife and bloodshed. {GC88 655.4}

It is time that the watchmen upon the walls of Zion understood the responsibility and sacredness of their mission. They should feel that a woe is upon them if they do not perform the work which God has committed to them. If they become unfaithful, they are endangering the safety of the flock of God, endangering the cause of truth, and exposing it to the ridicule of our enemies. O what a work is this! It will surely meet its reward. Some ministers, as well as people, need converting. They need to be torn to pieces, and made over new. Their work among the churches is worse than lost, and in their present weak, tottering condition, it would be more pleasing to God for them to cease their efforts to help others, and labor with their hands until they are converted. Then they could strengthen their brethren. {GW92 120.2}

Many ministers are teaching their people, and many professors and teachers are instructing their students, that the law of God has been changed or abrogated; and those who regard its requirements as still valid, to be literally obeyed, are thought to be deserving only of ridicule or contempt. {GC88 582.3}

Notwithstanding the Bible is full of warnings against false teachers, many are ready thus to commit the keeping of their souls to the clergy. There are today thousands of professors of religion who can give no other reason for points of faith which they hold than that they were so instructed by their religious leaders. They pass by the Saviour's teachings almost unnoticed, and place implicit confidence in the words of the ministers. But are ministers infallible? How can we trust our souls to their guidance unless we know from God's Word that they are light-bearers? A lack of moral courage to step aside from the beaten track of the
world, leads many to follow in the steps of learned men; and by their reluctance to investigate for themselves, they are becoming hopelessly fastened in the chains of error. They see that the truth for this time is plainly brought to view in the Bible, and they feel the power of the Holy Spirit attending its proclamation; yet they allow the opposition of the clergy to turn them from the light. Though reason and conscience are convinced, these deluded souls dare not think differently from the minister; and their individual judgment, their eternal interests, are sacrificed to the unbelief, the pride and prejudice, of another. {GC88 596.3}
Well he is far better than the legalistic evolutionary and panthistic teachings of Billiter.
Michael. We just have to ignore this man. Have you seen now that he claims to be a prophet? Nothing is beneath him.
This is an important topic and in principle, how I respond to this, I think useful for guiding faith and practice in other matters. So for starters, does it matter what God says about this? I would hope so.

He has spoken. In fact I believe if not mistaken, he calls this an abomination for two of the same gender to lay with each other. Would appreciate references from those who might have those handy. Ok. So if He has such strong thoughts about the matter, is it advisable that by my actions (silence, words, etc.), I minimize the import of His distaste and prohibition in this regard?

Let me put it another way. In an earlier post, I asked if we would think it wise to put diesel in a vehicle designed for unleaded fuel. Don't think there would be any questioning that act as a very strange and 'counter-productive' one indeed. Now would you applaud someone who did that and cheer them on their way. Seems they might think you heartless, insincere, or at best having a well earned chuckel at their dilema. sml.

Okay so about attending a wedding of this sort, I can't quite warm up to the notion of supporting folks in an abominable pursuit. Granted there are other sins which we may all be guilty of at one time or another but I wouldn't applaud it. Would you? Showing up at the wedding to me is tantamount to cheering on a pursuit which is sure to end in great pain and ruin. Would I do this for a friend? Perhaps what might be helpful is sending a gift that offers solutions for problems that will surely arise from this choice. And of course if you are a true friend, you won't only be there to acknowledge in some way this life event but be there to listen and share as needed at other times and settings.

While I can see that those who would choose to attend are doing so purely out of a desire to be supportive, I would prefer to show my support in other ways that are not likely to muddy their perception of what God thinks about such things. And I do not think it would be in good taste to attend a wedding of this sort simply to tell folks that God does NOT endorse this union or lifestyle; in other words to evangelize. I think there are more effective ways of witnessing. sml.

In summary, what I am trying to say is:
(a) It matters what God thinks.
(b) It matters how I respond to what God tells me He abhors.
(c) It matters how I relate my love for God and what He thinks to my friends, associates and family.
(d) A true friend will not see his friend going over a cliff and cheer him on.
(e) A true friend will speak the truth in love and show love consistently not just in times of crisis or moments of compromised values.
(f) A true friend will not support one in wrong doing while unsettling the faith of others by his actions.
(g) Our actions matter not only in the particular but in the aggregate. In other words, the hint of support (however unintended) for something that God finds abhorrent undermines the viability of the family and the rubric of society at large. So every action counts. sml.
(h) (f) A true friend loves at all times.
amen sister, well said. There is no valid rebuttal to your statement
You may discuss that with God as well. BTW, are you an ordained pastor?
If you were not allowed to have your own convictions you would be in chains in the darkest dungeon awaiting your fate. Please! Give us a break! Do you make money on the side as a fiction writer? What talent! You missed your calling!

Michael, we are aware of the pastoral apostasy around the world. Go check out the Ohio Conference and see what their agenda is.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service