Adventist Online

Now that the state of California has also legalized marriages between people from the same sex, I wonder how we should relate to this matter. What should the church do when such a couple requests to be blessed in our church. Think about the reaction of human rights movements if we would say no. What will you do if you're invited to a same sex wedding.

Views: 776

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jason

Quite the contrary.  In fact, there is an organization called: "Gay SDAs" or something like that.  In fact, in southern California, a number of years ago now, a woman was ordained as a local elder who was a known, practicing Lesbian.  This information came from her father, who is a friend of mine. 

Now, if you are saying that one cannot be a Christian and be "gay," then I might agree with you.  In fact, I would say that myself if you are not saying that.  But, sad to say, there are SDA members who have swallowed that lie along with many others like evolution, ordaining anyone who will, the wearing of wedding rings, eating things God has forbidded, and the list goes on.  None of these practices are approved by God and will only lead to destruction.

Maranatha :)
Ray

Alex

I can't remember a post that I could agree with more completly.  As a church, we are following both the failed example of Israel as well as the mistakes of the apsotate churches of today, then wonder why the church in North America is dying.  If the world field follows our example, their phenominal growth will also come to a hault and die too.  I just pray that the world field will learn from the mistakes we have made and not repeat them.

Ray

We should all agree to going to a same sex marriage. No question. All we have to do is to ask ... what would Jesus do.

N Him

This applies to more then just attending a same sex "marriage." 

Ray

its an abomination in Gods sight. its wrong. its a sin. pray for them and show love but do not go along with it

Daniel

OK, we agree, BUT what do we do with this this divine counsel?

"If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make request for this." 1John 5:16 NASB

Homosexuality is indeed a sin that leads to death.  What does God say about this situation?

Ray

God forbid..We rather obey God than man..whoever that will support it or accept it or be part of this ''Abominable''act will drink of d wrath of God.be careful brethen.

You are all quick to say that homosexuality is a sin, and all chrisitans these days place such a high and mighty stance against homosexuality but to God sin is sin!

The Ten Commandments say that lieing is sin. Do we all lie? Yes!

The Ten Commandments say that you must honour your mother and father. Do we always do that? No!

We are all sinners and therefore we should treat them no different to others.

I do not condone same sex marraige and im not saying that you should either but it is not mine or your place to judge these people.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use,it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of saw dust in your brothers eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Matthew 7:1-3.

Would you attend the marriage of a liar or a cheater?

Im sorry Alex but I do not agree.

God is the only one who knows our behaviour and should be the only one to judge it.

There are all kinds of situations which could turn a person 'homosexual'.

Abuse by a man could make a woman never trust a man again and hence, turn to relationships with a women.

There are numerous other situations (mostly to do abuse) that turn people homosexual.

Since we do not know why these people are homosexual, how can we judge them? And none the less, in any situation we do not have the right (Matthew 7:1-3) to judge another person.

Alex

No one is asking if we should through it in their faces. The issue is condoning sin with our blessing / attendance to a wedding that is a slap in God's face.. We are not talking about refusing a repentant heart, we are talking about refusing someone who does the equivalent of saying "Will you give me a meaningless and empty blessing so I can feel comfortable in my sin?"

I have gay friends too and there is no use telling them something they will refuse to hear any way, but they understand that while I love them I can't condone their lifestyle, and they would never put me in that position..

I love them enough to wait patiently and answer questions honestly when they come to me, and they love me enough to respect the fact that not everyone has to agree with them or condone their lifestyle, anymore than I could condone that of an alcoholic.. What is so difficult about that? Why does everyone who will actually stand firm in their beliefs automatically considered a hate monger when that is not the case.....

Reference (your quote) / my response:

1.) You said  "Anyone ever notice how we skip right over the "neither do i condemn thee"?  Why don't we meditate on that just a bit more instead of skipping over it to make sure people know we do not justify their sin (while blind to the fact that no one is throwing our acceptable sins in our faces.)"

I responded "No one is asking if we should through it in their faces. The issue is condoning sin with our blessing / attendance to a wedding that is a slap in God's face"

2.) You said "Remembering that Mary fell again and again before she finally got the victory should be meditated on also."

I responded "We are not talking about refusing a repentant heart, we are talking about refusing someone who does the equivalent of saying "Will you give me a meaningless and empty blessing so I can feel comfortable in my sin?"

3.) You said "Since my gay friends do not preach at me regarding my shortcomings, faults, and yes sins, I return the favor, while the pious and sanctimonious sure do get on my nerves something fierce.  They get on my nerves so bad I'm not sure I'm going to make it to heaven!"

I responded "

I have gay friends too and there is no use telling them something they will refuse to hear any way, but they understand that while I love them I can't condone their lifestyle, and they would never put me in that position..

I love them enough to wait patiently and answer questions honestly when they come to me, and they love me enough to respect the fact that not everyone has to agree with them or condone their lifestyle, anymore than I could condone that of an alcoholic.. What is so difficult about that?"

Would you be so kind as to tell me which one of the above statements that I addressed individually in the previous response that you did not write???

No blessing, no attendance "we should not sanction evil by our presence."

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by