Adventist Online

Do you think that the Seventh-day Adventist church should allow hip hop in the church to draw the young people in? What do you think.

Views: 708

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe not, but the principles of the Bible are. There is however it seems, 2 very determined points of view though, isn't there? As we have seen from 2 or 3 other threads relating to music, and church.

In this case, I think the situation is a bit more pronounced as some of the other threads. Now hip hop.. What can we then say about rock music. Here is a question, should we then let rock music in too? What if its uplifting?

How about reggaeton. Some might not know what that is, I'm sure many will.. I've heard "Christian reggaeton" before as well.. should we really be playing reggaeton on a Sabbath morning in the church?

What about Dancehall? Salsa?

I'm not saying you are, I'm speaking generally, but I have seen people defend drums by saying (and its true) that other instruments can be used for bad as well, and not jus drums. So, I find it interesting that I can mirror that for this question as well. If hip hop is ok, then all these must be too? And b4 some ppl get to answering yes, really, think about this music in our church.. I mean... REALLY think about it.
I think perhaps Jose .... what you are missing is that we are all at different levels. Some are babes in Christ and Hip Hop in a Christian way would be helpful.

If you are asking for personal opinion ... NO. I would not prefer to have Hip Hop in church. That is unless it would help others. I would not however prefer it to be the main type of music. I prefer hymns with some drums thrown in. Ha Ha.
4Him: Yeah, I know there are different levels. I have already acknowledged that I am sure each genre has a possibility to truly help out.

I was referring to if a church played hip hop full time, for everything, is what I meant.

I know you like them drums lol.
Let me just share this info I've found at a certain site...I don't know how you are going to argue or agree with it...",

Response To Hip Hop In The Church

HIP HOP: NO ONE HAS THE AUTHORITY TO LOWER GOD'S STANDARDS (Just Because Jesus Is mentioned in a Rhyme or Reason Does Not Mean it is Godly)

Even Shirley Caesar has sold out to highest bidder. Kirk Franklin, Yolanda Adams and the host of the Contemporary Gospel/Christian Hip Hop singers are very lost and will bust Hell Wide open as they are supposed to know better. Is it true that this fellow Kanye West is a Hip Hop Christian? Those that think so need to go into comedy.

Brethren,

Peace be unto you. We don't come as old, tired Christians that stand in the way of Christian progress. However what is Christian progress? Do those that support reaching the so-called young believe that God is in favor of and out-reach ministry that defy His laws? For the record and the sign post many that profess the love for the God and believe that they truly follow God have been mis-lead by the various False Teachers among us. This is why we continue to stress the need to look toward the various problems regarding the distortions of scripture and the failure of the Church leaders to follow scripture.

My Brother you have noted that there is great difficulty debating with scholars about the Bible. However the greatest challenge for us is the debate between those that claim to know God but refuse to read and study the Bible and insist on following man tradition, custom and only use God to try to justify their actions. However they have shallow arguments among those that study the Bible and follow the laws of God.

Meanwhile we are thrilled by the passion of the youth on this particular issue. However do those that believe that we must reach the youth in any way believe that there is a need to also reach many of the old that are already in the Church? Thus the great problem and or need for the Church is not so much reaching the so-called lost outside the Church but calling in to account those that profess a love for God in the Church.

From our vantage point this discussion is another smoke screen and another trick by the Devil. WHAT THE BELIEVERS NEED TO DO THAT WANT TO WORK FOR GOD IS TO CALL LEADERS TO ACCOUNTABILITY. You can do this by insisting that they follow God's laws in the Bible and not those of man that hold tradition and custom in high esteem. You need to tell them to leave money and look to win people to Christ by the Truth of God and Christ.

Therefore when the so-called believers and those that advocate Hip Hop in the Church look to the Bible and not man we wouldn't be having this discussion. For example those that have any sense and those that fear God know that same sex marriages are not of God. However you have many people that claim to be Christians that support this abomination. However if they also would abide by God's laws they would never support this Hell-bent sin/crime.

My Brother we aware of the impact Gospel has had on the Church earlier and also the various instruments you have noted. As you remember we noted this premise in some of our earlier posts as we posted a historical sketch of Gospel etc.

But we have not seen any Hip Hop or Rap Gospel that truly lifts up God. Also is this possible? We do appreciate the fact that you realize that there is a need to keep the music clean. But how do you clean up something that is ungodly and not fit for God? For the record most of the Hip Hop Church advocates we have talked with don't see anything wrong with Hip Hop Church just like Hip Hop streets.

Do you believe that the Hip Hop Christians should perform and dress like their counter-parts in the Clubs? These people sing about love, sex and crime. We would be remiss to note for your information that the Holy Spirit that you talk about is not the same Spirit among those in the streets that don't truly have a heart for God. So Brethren there is no Holy Ghost working in those that come to trash God. What you see is a Spirit of the Devil.

I find it difficult to distinguish the Hip Hop Christians from the Club singers. However the Church and those in the music industry don't see anything wrong. This is materialisms that you said we must keep out of the Church. Brother Donnell please don't be naïve it is for certain that the rage for Hip Hop/Rap in the church is tied to money. Don't ever forget that. You may be sincere but don't let Satan use you?

If you are looking for new innovative ways to attract the youth develop it from a Christian perspective. What of the folly of trying to reach and minister to Gang bangers with gang signs and the lingo etc. expressed by street gangs. I admit that one has to relate to our youth but you must be strong and bold enough to TELL THE YOUTH THAT THEY MUST SACRIFICE TO EMBRACE JESUS CHRIST. Therefore they can't come into the Church on their terms. God has already laid out the plan. It is left for us to use it. We can't (I say again) lower God's standards to reach anybody this includes the youth. It is the weak among us that will not sacrifice and stand boldly for God with out fear or favor. We always say we will never sacrifice Truth for friendship and to get along with the youth are get them to a Church house. We will never lie on God to win someone for Satan.

In your ministry my brother there is a need to talk about the distortions of the Bible. There is a need to talk about the numerous False Prophets and teachers among us. For example if the Preachers would stay with God on this issue we would not be having this discussion.

It burns my heart to actually see many young people that have been lied to about this issue. Therefore they think people like me are crazy and behind the times. Many sadly are hopeless as they have been raised in a Church that followed man and not God and looked to fill up the seats like the people you are talking about that seek to fill up the FOX THEATER AND CHASTAIN PARK.

No one has the authority to lower God's standards.

Please take note that I haven't altered or revised this response to a query...",
Here's more....FIGHT AGAINST HIP HOP IN THE CHURCH!!!

WE ARE FACING A BIG DEMONIC WAR AGAINST THE YOUNG GENERATION IN OUR CHURCH. THE HIP HOP CULTURE SPIRIT HAS BEEN EMBRACED BY MANY LEADERS,PASTORS, AND MINISTERS OF THE GOSPEL TO THINK IT'S OK TO HAVE HIP HOP IN THEIR CHURCH. THEY HAVE BEEN INVITING SECULAR ARTISTS SUCH AS T.I,KANYE WEST,YOUNG JOC,DAVID BANNER AND MANY OTHERS TO COME AND PERFORM FOR THE YOUNG PEOPLE AT THEIR CHURCHES. WE NEED TO TAKE A STAND AND FIGHT AGIANST THE ENEMIES SKEEM TO CONFUSE AND CURRUPT THE MINDS OF OUR GENERATION. IN 2CORINTHIANS 5:17 IT SAYS, "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." WHEN WE COME TO KNOW JESUS AS OUR PERSONAL SAVIOR,WE TURN AWAY FROM OUR OLD WICKED WAYS. HIP HOP FOR THE AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY HAS INFLUENCED THEIR MINDS INTO THINKING THAT IT'S OK TO ACT LIKE THE WORLD AND BE IN CHURCH AT THE SAME TIME. WE ARE IN THIS WORLD BUT NOT OF IT! ROMANS 12:2 SAYS, "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." CHRISTIANS DON'T REALIZE WHO THEIR UP AGAINST. HIP HOP WAS NOT CREATED BY GOD. IT'S A CULTURE! THE BIBLE ALSO SAYS IN EPHESIANS 6:12 "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." IT'S OUR SPIRITUAL RIGHT TO TAKE A STAND AND PROTEST AGAINST THE WICKEDNESS THAT'S BEHIND HIP HOP THAT'S LEADING OUR YOUTH OF THIS GENERATION STRAIGHT TO HELL! STOP PUTTING SECULAR MUSIC IN GOSPEL MUSIC!! LETS BRING BACK HOLINESS AND RIGHTEOUSNESS IN THE CHURCH!! STOP INVITING THESE WORLDY SECULAR ARTISTS TO YOUR CHURCH TO PERFORM!!!YOUR LEADING THEM STAIGHT TO HELL! LET'S TAKE A STAND AND FIGHT TO CANCEL COCO BROTHER LIVE AND MANY OTHER HOLY HIP HOP DJ'S!!! YOU ARE LEADING BELIEVERS DOWN THE WRONG PATHWAYS WHCIH WILL LEAD THEM STRIGHT TO HELL!!

JOHN 15:19 SAYS, "If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." STOP BEING INFLUENCED BY THE WORLD WHICH HAVE GOTTEN YOU IN TROUBLE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! WE AS CHRISTIANS SHOULD INFLUENCE THE WORLD TO TURN AWAY FROM THAT BONDAGE OF THE MIND USED BY HIP HOP!!! I WANT EVERYONE TO GO VISIT http://www.cocobrotherlive.com/ AND SEE WHAT HE IS DOING TO YOUR YOUTH!! HE IS ALLOWING THESE SECULAR ARTISTS TO SPEAK ON HIS STATION WHEN THEY ARE NOT TRUE CHRISTIANS!! THE DEVIL HAS WIEVED HIS WAY AND FOUND AN ENABLER TO GET YOUNG KIDS TO BELIEVE WHAT THEIR DOING IS OK!!! YOU CAN'T MIX GOD WITH THE DEVIL. MATTHEW 6:24 SAYS, "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." SO I CHALLENGE EVERYONE TODAY TO SIGN THIS PETITION TO TAKE A STAND AND BRING BACK HOLINESS IN THE CHURCH!!! HERE ARE SOME VIDEOS OF MORE TRUTH IN THE HOLY HIP HOP MOVEMENT!!! http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E3069D87921CCA36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ozu3WHqJS4
Hip hop in the church..no way!
Yeah, that's a big NO NO NO...we're on the same boat...",
wow remarkable i am happy that you are posting things like this.
I am not in favor of that. I know we need to attract many many people, but it needs to be in a way that reflects the love of Jesus, and not the ways of the world.
hip hop style is rythmic chanting. very buddhist. that's just my opinion.
NOPE!
To me hip-hop is a combination os words that can't really give a rythm to a song.

Ever tried a hip-hop song on instrumentals like the Grand piaono's it does not work completely.

Some say that we should adopt to the recent movement...Why...instead they should see the good side of us rather thaan us taking ourselve to the ''pit''
I mean though we are trying to REACH OUT...do it in a pleasisng way.

Sond tkae the message faster and efficiently, but what is the quality? I s it worth the weight of hip-hop.?
There was a time when the church said

Piano in the church "No way"
Organ in the Church "No way"
Saxophone in the Church "No way"
Drums in the Church "No Way" actually they still say "No way to drums"

I am not to argue for whether or not Hip Hop is appropriate for the church, but I think we also need to revisit some of the other styles/ genre of music that we quite accept as OK for the church. It would seem that the following genres have a "No way" tag.

Jazz, Blues,Hip Hop, Rap, Disco, Soul, R&B, Soca, Calypso, Reggae, Dance Hall, Pop, Dub, Rock, Rock and Roll, Heavy Metal and the list goes on.

Could someone actually tell what genre of music is acceptable for the church and please refrain for statements like "Music that glorifies God" because others will argue that that can use the above mention styles to glorify God.

If you can define a genre then a artiste will also do?

I look forwar to hearing you list

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by