Adventist Online

The SDA 28 Fundamentals has IJ as one of those pillars that upholds the platform we stand on. To my surprise I have noted some of the saints around here do not think there is any Investigative Judgement. So let us see if there is a Investigative Judgement or not. I have also noted that the same Saints do not subscribe to the writings of E G White. So I would prefer that we use the Bible only.

The SDA church does have the Investigative Judgement as one of its 28 fundamentals Quoting:

24. Christ's Ministry in the Heavenly Sanctuary:

There is a sanctuary in heaven, the true tabernacle which the Lord set up and not man. In it Christ ministers on our behalf, making available to believers the benefits of His atoning sacrifice offered once for all on the cross. He was inaugurated as our great High Priest and began His intercessory ministry at the time of His ascension. In 1844, at the end of the prophetic period of 2300 days, He entered the second and last phase of His atoning ministry. It is a work of investigative judgment which is part of the ultimate disposition of all sin, typified by the cleansing of the ancient Hebrew sanctuary on the Day of Atonement. In that typical service the sanctuary was cleansed with the blood of animal sacrifices, but the heavenly things are purified with the perfect sacrifice of the blood of Jesus. The investigative judgment reveals to heavenly intelligences who among the dead are asleep in Christ and therefore, in Him, are deemed worthy to have part in the first resurrection. It also makes manifest who among the living are abiding in Christ, keeping the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, and in Him, therefore, are ready for translation into His everlasting kingdom. This judgment vindicates the justice of God in saving those who believe in Jesus. It declares that those who have remained loyal to God shall receive the kingdom. The completion of this ministry of Christ will mark the close of human probation before the Second Advent. (Heb. 8:1-5; 4:14-16; 9:11-28; 10:19-22; 1:3; 2:16, 17; Dan. 7:9-27; 8:13, 14; 9:24-27; Num. 14:34; Eze. 4:6; Lev. 16; Rev. 14:6, 7; 20:12; 14:12; 22:12.)

28 fundamental Beliefs sdanet.org

The hour of the evening sacrifice arrives. The priest stands in the court of the Temple in Jerusalem ready to offer a lamb as sacrifice. As he raises the knife to kill the victim, the earth convulses. Terrified, he drops the knife and the lamb escapes. Over the din of the earthquake he hears a loud ripping noise as an unseen hand rends the veil of the Temple from top to bottom. What did the tearing of the veil really mean?

Across town, black clouds enshroud a cross. When Jesus, the Passover Lamb of God, calls out, "It is finished!" He dies for the sins of the world.

Type has met antitype. The very event the Temple services have pointed to through the centuries has taken place. The Saviour has completed His atoning sacrifice, and because symbol has met reality, the rituals foreshadowing this sacrifice have been superseded. Thus the rent veil, the dropped knife, the escaped lamb.

But there is more to salvation history. It reaches beyond the cross. Jesus' resurrection and ascension direct our attention to the heavenly sanctuary, where, no longer the Lamb, He ministers as priest. The once-for-all sacrifice has been offered (Heb. 9:28); now He makes available to all the benefits of this atoning sacrifice.

I have noted some of the saints here saying that the atonement was fulfilled on the cross. I wonder how this could be correct? We have many texts telling us that there is an ongoing Investigative Judgement happening in the heavenly courts at this very moment.

Views: 5456

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes I know about the shut door, The apostle Peter held similar beliefs, but a vision from God changed his views

Uriah Smith came up with the idea of an investigative judgement as a way to explain other ideas that originated from him. Uriah Smith remained an Arian to the day he died. (An Arian is a person who does not believe in the full divinity of Christ)  In order for the texts quoted to support this idea, they have to be taken out of context and their original meaning subverted.

The Scriptures are clear, that once a person gives their life totally into the care of their Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are acquitted of their sin. The texts are clear, our sins are blotted out. The texts speak in the present tense, not future tense. If a person has had their sins blotted out, of what are they to be investigated.

Max

Thanks for your  comment I was not aware of Uriah Smith was an arian, but then again there was some misunderstandings in those days. Yes indeed you are right the sin are forgiven by the Blood of Christ. The investigative judgement is about Cleanse the Sanctuary, not an other trail.

Dan 8:14  And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.

Max,

here are a few statements from Uriah Smith.

"Thus the divine Son of God came into this world - born of a woman. The mystery of his glorious incarnation is among the wonders which the angels desire to look into. 1Pet.1:11,12." (1898)

"There He demonstrated [the law's] immutability and perpetuity by showing that nothing less than the death of God's divine Son interposed could release men from its inexorable claims." (1878)

"And though the 144,000 are accused of rejecting Christ, and trusting to their own works for salvation, because they refuse to violate the commandments of God (Rev.14:1,12), in the great day that calumny [i.e. defamation/slur] will be wiped off. It will be seen that they have rested their hope of life on the merits of the shed blood of their divine Redeemer, making Him their source of righteousness." (1897)

Stewart,
It's a known fact that smith was not a trinitarian. He still affirmed that Christ was divine but not that he was God Almighty. We teach that Jesus is God almighty. He probably would not say like EGW that Christ life was unborrowed, original.
Mutinta.

Thank you Mutinta, I am familiar with the anti-trinitarian ideas.

Another comment from Uriah Smith,

"Thus are we brought to the epoch of the creation of our world. The Scriptures already referred to, show us the part Christ bore in this display of almighty power."

Mutinta, I imagine that you are also familiar with the thought from Desire of Ages :

"When Jesus was awakened to meet the storm, He was in perfect peace. There was no trace of fear in word or look, for no fear was in His heart. But He rested not in the possession of almighty power. It was not as the "Master of earth and sea and sky" that He reposed in quiet. That power He had laid down, and He says, "I can of Mine own self do nothing." John 5:30. He trusted in the Father's might." (DA 336)

On the earth Jesus lived by faith, didn't He? and all His healings were accomplished by faith in God. Jesus "laid down" His almighty power.

And no, just like you say, I don't think that Uriah Smith said that Christ's life was "original, unborrowed, underived", and yet he does speak in these terms:

"Christ, in his position and work, as the Source of life and immortality, stands forth in his true light and untarnished glory..."

Stewart,
So was Smith a trinitarian? Arian? Or semi Arian?
Mutinta

Mutinia

Smith died an anti-trinitarian as did James White. And both where semi-arian.

Leon

I have tried to substantiate a view with the words of Uriah Smith, but it appears that you see no need to do this. I frequently see you making assertions, but offering nothing to uphold them.

Leon, I know there is much written against Uriah Smith and James White, etc.. There is much supposed evidence against them... and it would not be difficult for you to offer something. (A few key points would suffice.) But you frequently seem to make no effort... I wonder whether you have become weary?

Of course it is easy for any of us to copy and paste articles that have an air of authority, but I believe there is little real profit in this.

I think all of us need to remember :

"The sluggard [i.e. the lazy person] is wiser in his own conceit than seven men that can render a reason." (Prov 26:16)

Stewart

do not worry about Leon he is like a horse taking the bit in his mouth. What do you expect from a person who advocates eating unclean food, discarding EG Whites writings and the 28 fundamentals. 

Ian

Regardless of what evidence I post u won't believe it. Per your admission you are prepared to follow the path of others blindly.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service