Adventist Online

The SDA 28 Fundamentals has IJ as one of those pillars that upholds the platform we stand on. To my surprise I have noted some of the saints around here do not think there is any Investigative Judgement. So let us see if there is a Investigative Judgement or not. I have also noted that the same Saints do not subscribe to the writings of E G White. So I would prefer that we use the Bible only.

The SDA church does have the Investigative Judgement as one of its 28 fundamentals Quoting:

24. Christ's Ministry in the Heavenly Sanctuary:

There is a sanctuary in heaven, the true tabernacle which the Lord set up and not man. In it Christ ministers on our behalf, making available to believers the benefits of His atoning sacrifice offered once for all on the cross. He was inaugurated as our great High Priest and began His intercessory ministry at the time of His ascension. In 1844, at the end of the prophetic period of 2300 days, He entered the second and last phase of His atoning ministry. It is a work of investigative judgment which is part of the ultimate disposition of all sin, typified by the cleansing of the ancient Hebrew sanctuary on the Day of Atonement. In that typical service the sanctuary was cleansed with the blood of animal sacrifices, but the heavenly things are purified with the perfect sacrifice of the blood of Jesus. The investigative judgment reveals to heavenly intelligences who among the dead are asleep in Christ and therefore, in Him, are deemed worthy to have part in the first resurrection. It also makes manifest who among the living are abiding in Christ, keeping the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, and in Him, therefore, are ready for translation into His everlasting kingdom. This judgment vindicates the justice of God in saving those who believe in Jesus. It declares that those who have remained loyal to God shall receive the kingdom. The completion of this ministry of Christ will mark the close of human probation before the Second Advent. (Heb. 8:1-5; 4:14-16; 9:11-28; 10:19-22; 1:3; 2:16, 17; Dan. 7:9-27; 8:13, 14; 9:24-27; Num. 14:34; Eze. 4:6; Lev. 16; Rev. 14:6, 7; 20:12; 14:12; 22:12.)

28 fundamental Beliefs sdanet.org

The hour of the evening sacrifice arrives. The priest stands in the court of the Temple in Jerusalem ready to offer a lamb as sacrifice. As he raises the knife to kill the victim, the earth convulses. Terrified, he drops the knife and the lamb escapes. Over the din of the earthquake he hears a loud ripping noise as an unseen hand rends the veil of the Temple from top to bottom. What did the tearing of the veil really mean?

Across town, black clouds enshroud a cross. When Jesus, the Passover Lamb of God, calls out, "It is finished!" He dies for the sins of the world.

Type has met antitype. The very event the Temple services have pointed to through the centuries has taken place. The Saviour has completed His atoning sacrifice, and because symbol has met reality, the rituals foreshadowing this sacrifice have been superseded. Thus the rent veil, the dropped knife, the escaped lamb.

But there is more to salvation history. It reaches beyond the cross. Jesus' resurrection and ascension direct our attention to the heavenly sanctuary, where, no longer the Lamb, He ministers as priest. The once-for-all sacrifice has been offered (Heb. 9:28); now He makes available to all the benefits of this atoning sacrifice.

I have noted some of the saints here saying that the atonement was fulfilled on the cross. I wonder how this could be correct? We have many texts telling us that there is an ongoing Investigative Judgement happening in the heavenly courts at this very moment.

Views: 5925

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Jason,

I would encourage them to accept Christ, as He told us to. Then if they like what we have I would invite them to join.

I believe our responsibility is to introduce people to Christ as their savior. What they do with the teachings we offer is between them and the holy spirit.

Keith

Satan is . . . constantly pressing in the spurious--to lead away from the truth. The very last deception of Satan will be to make of none effect the testimony of the Spirit of God. "Where there is no vision, the people perish" (Prov. 29:18). Satan will work ingeniously, in different ways and through different agencies, to unsettle the confidence of God's remnant people in the true testimony.-- Letter 12, 1890. 1SM 48

There will be a hatred kindled against the testimonies which is satanic. The workings of Satan will be to unsettle the faith of the churches in them, for this reason: Satan cannot have so clear a track to bring in his deceptions and bind up souls in his delusions if the warnings and reproofs and counsels of the Spirit of God are heeded.-- Letter 40, 1890. 1SM 48

Are you betraying your Lord because in His great mercy He has shown you just where you are standing spiritually? He knows every purpose of the heart. Nothing is hid from Him. It is not I whom you are betraying. It is not I against whom you are so embittered. It is the Lord, who has given me a message to bear to you.--Letter 66, 1897. 3SM 84

One thing is certain: Those Seventh-day Adventists who take their stand under Satan's banner will first give up their faith in the warnings and reproofs contained in the Testimonies of God's Spirit. 3SM 84

It does not become anyone to drop a word of doubt here and there that shall work like poison in other minds, shaking their confidence in the messages which God has given, which have aided in laying the foundation of this work, and have attended it to the present day, in reproofs, warnings, corrections, and encouragements. To all who have stood in the way of the Testimonies, I would say, God has given a message to His people, and His voice will be heard, whether you hear or forbear. Your opposition has not injured me; but you must give an account to the God of heaven, who has sent these warnings and instructions to keep His people in the right way. You will have to answer to Him for your blindness, for being a stumbling block in the way of sinners. GCDB APR.13,1891 (1SM 43)

Some are acting the part of Aaron, to help on the work of apostasy. They have been weighed in the balances, and have been found wanting. Men are spoiling their record, and are proving that they are not to be trusted, but that they will betray the interests of the cause of God, making them the sport of sinners. The messages of heavenly origin that God has sent to his people, to prepare them to stand in the last days, they have sneered at and scorned. But the evidence we have had for the past fifty years of the presence of the Spirit of God with us as a people, will stand the test of those who are now arraying themselves on the side of the enemy and bracing themselves against the message of God. - Testimony to members of the B. C. Church, October 24, 1907. PC 139

By many the words which the Lord sent will be rejected, and the words that man may speak will be received as light and truth. Jesus says, "I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive." Human wisdom will lead away from self-denial, from consecration, and will devise many things that tend to make of no effect God's messages. We cannot with any safety rely upon men who are not in close connection with God. They will accept the opinions of men, but cannot discern the voice of the True Shepherd, and their influence will lead many astray, though evidence is piled upon evidence testifying to the verity of truth for these days. The truth is powerful to turn men to Christ, to quicken their energies, to subdue and soften their hearts, and inspire them with zeal, devotion, and love to God. The Sabbath truth must in no case be covered up. We must let it appear in strong contrast with error. RH DEC.13,1892

One thing is certain: those Seventh-day Adventists who take their stand under Satan's banner will first give up their faith in the warnings and reproofs contained in the Testimonies of God's spirit. SPM 305

Thanks Jason for a great post the only problem is that our friends do not subscribe to the SOP.

SDA and EGW do not have a corner on the market, or a monopoly on “The spirit of prophesy.”

Paul said that “The manifestation of the spirit is given to every man to profit withal,” and “covet to prophesy,” and that you may all prophesy...

It takes faith (absolute trust) to believe God for salvation, to operate any manifestation of holy spirit, or to obey the written, spoken and revealed Word of God. Many of you trust man’s word which contradicts God’s Word. How sad and unprofitable. Your choice, which you will live with and give an account of before Jesus.

James said: "It takes faith (absolute trust) to believe God for salvation, to operate any manifestation of holy spirit, or to obey the written, spoken and revealed Word of God."

We do not operate the Holy Spirit, only a fool would think he could. Regarding Obedience how come you reject Sabbath? 

I Corinthians 12:  5And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.  6And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. The holy spirit (the gift of God) works by cooperation with God, freedom of will is not violated nor is consciousness lost.

Because you apparently have never manifested holy spirit, you are ignorant of how the spirit works.

The word in verse 6 operations, is Greek, energema. Strong's # 01755, which means an effect;–operation, working. See how ignorant you are. Years ago I posted that here. You fail to learn from others or the holy spirit. That is why you are a babe in Christ, carnally minded, not able to eat of the meat of the true Word. You are correct in stating "We do not operate the Holy Spirit, though your reference is I believe referring to God, and not His gift of holy spirit because of your use of capitalizatoin. Failure to understand and differentiate between the Father God and His gift of holy spirit is also a major error also.

Even thogh E.W. Bullinger was a trinitarian, he understood and taught the difference between the Father who is Holy Spirit, and the gift which should be differentiated by lower case h and s. You are correct that the holy spirit is not operated by freedom of will in the SDA for the most part, like 99.99%. That is nothing to be proud of, and why the Book of Acts like miracles and other manifestations of holy spriit are not seen or used in most Christian organizations. Your comment about "only a fool would think he could" operate the holy spirit. Well the Greek shows you are the fool. You obviously do not have faith to operate any manifestations of holy spirit, and you constantly attack speaking in tongues and me as "happy clapper," which is a form of blasphemy against the gift of God, the holy spirit and also an insult to God himself because of your ignorance and defiance and quenching of the holy spirit.

Only a fool would defy and quench the holy spirit and attack others that do operate it. You might wake up if you became meek to God and His Word and spirit, without doctrines and commandments of men. But the chances of that because of your attitude, degree of stubborness is most unlikely. You are like a mule, stong willed against his master and defiant in having his own religious ways.

James said: "Only a fool would defy and quench the holy spirit and attack others that do operate it." 

Still, commanding the Holy Spirit to do your bidding Hey? 

"You might wake up if you became meek to God and His Word and spirit, without doctrines and commandments of men."

Commandments of Men is Sunday, it is Happy Clapper day. The commandment of God is the Sabbath. I lost count how many times I have told you this. You ignore God at your own peril.  

There will be a hatred kindled against the testimonies which is satanic. The workings of Satan will be to unsettle the faith of the churches in them, for this reason: Satan cannot have so clear a track to bring in his deceptions and bind up souls in his delusions if the warnings and reproofs and counsels of the Spirit of God are heeded.-- Letter 40, 1890. 1SM 48

Perhaps this type of talk is why you are quick to judge Jason. You believe that Ellen White was God's spokesperson, therefore when she condemns others for not believing in her testimony, you think that she is speaking on behalf of God in condemning Christians. However, being objective, I would say that it is not known what role to judge how people perceive her testimonies, since she herself said that they were not necessary for salvation. In fact, she indicated her death that if people read the Bible there we no need for her testimonies. Additionally, she indicated that if her work was contradictory to the Bible, the Bible should be seen as more authoritative, and she often referred to her work as the lesser light. Therefore, a statement like this which indicates disbelief in the testimonies results in satanic influence is inconsistent. Perhaps, providing evidence why the testimonies are true, instead of launching into a defense with a strong condemnation would be a more Christian like practice.

Leon

How can I judge or condemn a follower of Christ also called a Christian? 

In John 7:24 we read:  "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment."

and again  "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?" 1 Corinthians 5:12 

Christians should act like Christians 

Jason

If you're making references to not judging people by outward appearance, but looking to the characters you are correct. We should not, assume that someone is a Christian person just because they appear to be a Christian, or have high status. Instead, we should look to their characters determine if they act like Christians. However, if you are talking about over all judgment regarding salvation, then that is left in God's domain.

Leon

Introduction to and Background History of the Seventh-day Adventist 1844 Investigative Judgment Doctrine

by Wayne Willey

Edited by Rolaant L. McKenzie

INVESTIGATIVE JUDGMENT. A Seventh-day Adventist (SDA) term for the preliminary phase of the great final judgment by which God intervenes in human affairs to bring the reign of sin to a close and to inaugurate Christ's eternal reign of righteousness (Daniel 7:9, 10, 13, 14). This opening phase is called an investigative judgment because it consists of an examination of the life records of all who have ever professed to accept salvation in Christ and whose names are therefore inscribed in the "Lamb's book of life." Its purpose is to verify their eligibility for citizenship in God's eternal kingdom. At the close of the investigative judgment the sins of those who have endured to the end are "blotted out" from the books of record and the names of all others are stricken from the book of life (Exodus 32:32-33; Revelation 3:5, 20:12, 15, 22:19). SDAs teach that in view of the fact that at His second coming Christ rewards "every man according as his works shall be" (Revelation 22:12; Romans 2:5-11), it is evident that this investigation of the life record takes place before He returns to earth to gather the elect. The divine proclamation, "Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come," is specifically presented as preceding the Advent (Revelation 14:7, 14). [As defined by the SDA Bible Commentary, v.10, p.669-673]

The Millerite Adventists had been preaching for several years that Daniel 8:14 said Christ would return in or about the year 1843. After the year 1843 passed, they discovered an error in their calculation of the 2,300 years (there was no zero year in history) so they revised their date for the return of Jesus to 1844. Most of these Adventists expected Christ to return in the spring - about the time of the Feast of Passover. They had concluded that it would be appropriate for God to deliver His people from slavery in this world on the same day that He had delivered His people from slavery in Egypt. Others were teaching that the Day of Atonement which ushered in the year of Jubilee would be a more appropriate time for the deliverance and restoration of God's people. The Adventists suffered their first disappointment when Christ did not return in the spring at the time of the Passover. After Christ did not return on the Passover, they began to focus on the possibility that Christ would return and usher in the Great Jubilee on the Day of Atonement in 1844.

In August of 1844, an Adventist preacher named Samuel Snow claimed that he had been able to discover the exact day when Christ would return. Using the calendar of the obscure Karaite sect of Judaism which had been founded in Persia in the 8th century A.D., Snow claimed that Christ would return on October 22, 1844 - the Day of Atonement on the Karaite calendar. (The calendar used by the majority of Jews said the Day of Atonement would occur on September 23, 1844.)

Bible scholars in most Christian denominations argued that no one would be able to calculate the time of Christ's return because Jesus had said, "no one knows the day or hour" (Matthew 24:36; Mark 13:32). But the Adventists were certain that the "seventh month message" was "the true midnight cry" in the parable of the ten virgins in Matthew 25, so they dismissed the arguments of the non-Adventist Bible scholars. They preached "the true midnight cry" with great fervor.

The passing of the 22nd day of October without the return of Christ led to bitter disappointment. Adventists still refer to the passing of that date as "the Great Disappointment." Many of the disappointed Adventists decided the Advent Movement had been based upon error and returned to the non-Adventist churches where they had fellowshipped before they had become involved in the Advent Movement. But some of the Adventists remained confident that the Advent Movement had been right and tried to find a way to explain what had happened to them. Some claimed Christ had come, but not visibly. They claimed that Christ had come spiritually into the hearts of the Advent believers. A few claimed that Adventist believers had been right about the date, but wrong about the event which was to occur. So they began searching earnestly for some other event which might fit the prophecy. A small group of Adventists concluded that Christ had entered into a new phase of ministry in the second apartment of a heavenly sanctuary; that Christ had just begun a ministry similar to the ministry of Aaron the high priest on the Day of Atonement.

There are some very obvious problems with each of these explanations for why Christ had not returned in the clouds of heaven on October 22, 1844. The idea of a spiritual coming contradicted the clear teaching of Scripture. First, Jesus said He would come in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory (Matthew 26:64) in the same manner in which He had ascended to heaven (Acts 1:11). Revelation 1:7 says "every eye will see Him" when He comes. Only a literal and visible coming would fulfill these promises.

The idea that Christ had begun a new aspect of ministry on October 22, 1844 similar to the ministry of Aaron the high priest in the Most Holy Place on the Day of Atonement was based on the description of the ministry of Aaron in the book of Leviticus. Christ was therefore made a priest after the order of Aaron.

There are several problems with making Christ a priest after the order of Aaron. God clearly showed that the ministry of the sons of Aaron had come to an end by tearing the veil in the Temple which separated the Holy Place from the Most Holy Place when Jesus died on the cross. The Jewish priesthood did not understand the significance of this event, so they merely replaced the torn veil and continued the Levitical services and rituals. Those Levitical services and rituals finally ended when the Temple was destroyed by the Romans in 70 A.D.

In 1844, the disappointed Adventists concluded that the two apartments of the sanctuary on earth showed there was also a literal veil in the heavenly sanctuary which separated Christ from the Father. They said Christ had performed a ministry similar to "the daily" ministry of the Aaronic priesthood for nearly 1,800 years. Whereas the high priest of the Aaronic priesthood had gone into the Most Holy Place (the presence of God) once each year, this "new theology" of the sanctuary said that Christ, the Son of God, was not able to go into the presence of His Father in the Most Holy Place for 1,800 years - until October 22, 1844. This "new theology" of Christ's "daily" ministry in the heavenly sanctuary not only contradicted the clear teaching of the Bible, it also contradicted the plain logic of godly reason.

The book of Hebrews clearly teaches that the old order of the priesthood of Aaron ended when Christ ascended and entered "within the veil" (Hebrews 6:19-20), going into the presence of the Father (Hebrews 9:24) to be our High Priest. Christ's ministry as High Priest is more effective than the ministry of Aaron and his sons. The death of Christ the Lamb of God on the cross was a better sacrifice than the animals Aaron offered every day and on the Day of Atonement once each year. Christ's perfect sacrifice of atonement only needed to be offered one time to be effective forever (Hebrews 10:12). Our Day of Atonement took place more than 1,960 years ago when Christ went into the presence of His Father. Christ sat down at God's right hand (Mark 16:19; Hebrews 8:1; Hebrews 10:12) where He is waiting until God puts His enemies under His power (Hebrews 10:13).

There are other problems with applying the 2,300 days of Daniel 8:14 to Christ's ministry in heaven. Those disappointed Adventists who looked to a new phase of Christ's ministry in a sanctuary in heaven were not aware that the measurement of time at other locations in the universe will be considerably different than the measurement of time on earth. For example, let us look at the two planets which are closest to Earth. While a "day" (one rotation of the planet) on Mars is only about six minutes longer than a "day" on earth, the "year" (one revolution around the sun) on Mars is equal to 687 "earth days" rather than 365 days. A day on Venus is 243 "earth days" while the year is only 225 "earth days" - so each "day" on Venus is almost twenty "earth days" longer than the year! A change of location changes the measurement of time. The prophecy of Daniel 8:14 says that the sanctuary was to be "cleansed" (KJV) or restored to its rightful state (NASV) after 2,300 evenings and mornings (days). Is the time stated in Daniel 8:14 to be fulfilled in earth time or in the time of some other location? If Daniel 8:14 is to be fulfilled in heaven, how long is a day in heaven? In 2 Peter 3:8, we read that there is no difference in the Lord's sight between one day and a thousand years. To Him the two are the same. If a prophecy is given in earth time (2,300 days) and is to begin with a specific event on earth (the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem), then it is only logical to expect that prophecy to be fulfilled in some other event which will occur on earth. If the fulfillment of a time prophecy is to take place at some location other than earth, then we would have no single, uniform standard for measuring the period of time which had been stated in the prophecy.

What was the proper state or purpose of the sanctuary? Was the sanctuary on earth to be merely the center where people gathered to worship God? Was the sanctuary merely to be the place for offering sacrifices? Or was the sanctuary and its services also to be an object lesson of how God would save humanity?

The sanctuary was the center where people gathered to worship God. The sanctuary was the place where the priests offered sacrifices. But the primary purpose of the sanctuary and its services was to give the people of Israel graphic object lessons of how God would save those who would place their trust in Him and His plan to save them from the penalty of their sins.

The people of Israel lost sight of God's purpose for the sanctuary. They became so involved in the rituals and forms of the services in the sanctuary that they lost sight of the purpose of the sanctuary. After the Temple was destroyed in 70 A.D., the Jews shifted the focus of their worship from the services of the Temple to the teaching of the Law, which then became the central focal point in the services of the synagogue.

Christians have not done much better than the Jews when it came to understanding the purpose of the sanctuary. Rather than seeing the sanctuary and its services as graphic object lessons which teach the basic principles of the plan of redemption, the sanctuary was "spiritualized" to become a symbol of the earth, the universal Church or the individual believer. Therefore, the cleansing of the sanctuary was to be the cleansing of the earth by fire (as the followers of William Miller believed), the cleansing of the universal Church by the Holy Spirit or the cleansing of the individual believer from sin (as many perfectionists, including Seventh-day Adventist perfectionists, still believe).

The Great Disappointment in 1844 discredited most of those symbolic interpretations of the sanctuary which had developed and accumulated over hundreds of years. Those symbolic interpretations had distorted the simple object lessons of the sanctuary and its services. After the Great Disappointment in 1844, Bible scholars in various denominations began to study the purpose and meaning of the sanctuary and its services. Many of those Bible scholars published books about the sanctuary and its services during the next 25-30 year period. Those books showed how the symbolic lessons taught in the sanctuary were fulfilled in Christ. Some of the books which were written by these scholars are still considered the best books ever written on the subject of the sanctuary and its services (Edersheim's The Temple and Its Services, Fairbairn's Typology of Scripture, Jukes' The Law of the Offerings and Soltau's The Tabernacle, the Priestly Garments, and the Priesthood). These new studies focused on the sanctuary as a graphic teaching tool or a series of object lessons about God's plan to save humanity. The sanctuary had been restored to its rightful state.

Why were none of those great books which explained the spiritual lessons taught by the sanctuary and its services written by people who were known to have been active in the Advent Movement in 1844? It seemed Adventists were not writing those books about the lessons to be learned from the sanctuary and its services because the majority of the Adventists who passed through the Great Disappointment had become totally preoccupied with defending a date (October 22, 1844) and their experience in the Advent Movement; and they were more interested in the prophecies of Daniel and the Revelation and uniquely Adventist doctrines like the Sabbath, the judgment and the second coming than they were in the message of the Gospels about Christ's life, death, resurrection and ascension. As a result, they did not see the graphic object lessons about the plan of salvation which were so clearly taught in the sanctuary and its services. It would be more than fifty years before a new generation of Adventist writers such as Uriah Smith (Looking Unto Jesus (1898)), F.C. Gilbert (Practical Lessons from the Experience of Israel (1902) and Messiah in His Sanctuary (1937)), S.N. Haskell (The Cross and its Shadow (1914)) and M.L. Andreasen (The Sanctuary Service (1937)) would publish books which would show how the sanctuary and its services provided a series of very graphic object lessons on the plan of salvation through Christ.

Why were so many of those early Adventists willing to accept ideas which were based on so little Biblical evidence? Why were so many of those early Adventists willing to accept ideas that plainly contradicted the clear teaching of the Scriptures? Because they were only human, like the rest of us.

Most people find it very difficult to deny past spiritual experiences. Most people also find it difficult to admit when they have been wrong, especially in matters as important as religion or theology. Therefore, it is understandable why so many of the disappointed Adventists in 1844 found it relatively easy to accept new concepts which may have seemed to offer an explanation for why Jesus Christ had not returned to earth in 1844.

People who are in the midst of a severe emotional crisis are not able to do the careful and accurate evaluation of information necessary to make the best decisions. Times of crisis are not the best time to make major decisions or make major changes in one's life. Times of crisis are not the best time to form new doctrines. In times of crisis, we will do better by focusing on what is really essential. That is, maintaining our relationship with God. We will have all eternity to learn correct doctrine from Christ Himself.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service