Adventist Online

June 23, 2013 Surrender Page 181

"We didn't stumble into this fellowship brimming with love, honesty, open-mindedness, or willingness...When we were beaten, we became willing."

Basic Text, p.20

Surrender may be the necessary foundation for recovery, but sometimes we fight it. Most of us look back after some clean time and wonder why on earth we fought so hard to deny our powerlessness when surrender is what finally saved our lives.

As we recover, new opportunities to surrender present themselves. We can either struggle with everyone and everything we encounter or we can recall the benefits of our first surrender and stop fighting.

Most of the pain we experience comes from fighting, not surrendering. In fact, when we surrender, the pain ends and hope takes its place. We begin to believe that all will be well and, after some time, realize that our lives are much better as a result. We feel the same way we did when we gave up the illusion that we could control our using (sinning) - relieved, free, and filled with fresh hope.

Just for Today: Is there a surrender I need to make today? I will remember my first surrender and remind myself that I don't need to fight anymore.

Views: 898

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is a really good reading.  Thank you for sharing it.

Thank you Teresa,

I just signed up.  Now it will be easier for me to post the ones that I think are really good, like the one from today, on this thread.  I really appreciate you!

Hugs,

Jeanne

:)

July 14

An "inside job"

“Social acceptability does not equal recovery.”

Basic Text, p. 22

––––=––––

One of the first things that happens to many of us in recovery is that we start to look better.  We get healthier; we bathe; we dress more appropriately.  And without the goading of active addiction, many of us finally stop stealing, lying, and hustling.  We start to looknormal—just by removing the drugs.

Looking normal is very different from being normal.  Acceptability in the eyes of the world is a benefit of recovery; it is not the same thing as recovery.  We can enjoy the benefits of recovery, but we must take care to nurture their true source.  Lasting recovery isn’t found in acceptance from others, but in the inner growth set in motion by the Twelve Steps.

––––=––––

Just for today:  I know that looking good isn’t enough.  Lasting recovery is an inside job.

I just came home from a Bible Study where we work through the Quarterly for the week ending today.  I also use the E G White notes.

Did any of you read those notes as well.  Near the end, Thursday (I think), I kept reading things that brought to mind steps 4 - 9.  Did any one else notice that?  Just curious.

Jeanne

There in the EGW notes for the quarter, not the quarterly itself.  If you do not have access to that, let me know and I'll type them up here for you.

Dear sister Teresa, I pray that you will find the fullness of deliverance from your bondage through him who promised that you will be able to do everything he has bidden you to do, including ceasing from the sin that has most easily overcome you in the past. He is faithful who has promised. though you can "do nothing" without Him, you can "do all things through Christ" who will giver to all help in their time of need, if they will only ask and believe. The promise is true:

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. -1Cor 10:13  

Such Were Some Of You!

“And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.”  -I Corinthians 6:11

Bob confessed, “I am an alcoholic!  No, I have not had a taste of alcohol in 23 years, but I will always be an alcoholic.  AA has taught me well that once a person becomes an alcoholic, the best hope they can have is to be a sober recovering alcoholic”.

Janice concurred, “I can never say that ‘I used to be a drug addict’ the best witness that I can give is that I am a recovering drug addict who has been clean for 8 years.”

These are the kind of testimonies heard daily by those who have embraced the twelve-step programs popular today.  It is good to hear of people who have forsaken self-destructive habits such as these.  The more people who escape the ravages of substance abuse the better. Yet, I have one question.  Is there no better hope for a child of God than to become a “recovering” this or a that.  Is this the message that Paul gave to the Christians in Corinth?  No!  After giving a long list of classes of sinners, he did not declare that “such are some of you, though now in a state of recovery”!  No.  He declared, “such were some of you!” Past tense!  And if you read the full passage, you will find that “drunkards” are in the center of the list.  Yes, we need no longer identify ourselves as drunkards (alcoholics), or with any other form of sin!  We have been washed, sanctified, justified and have been redeemed as “children of the day,” “children of light”, “children of the living God!”  Give glory to God that you were such, but, in Christ, you no longer are!

God is not filling his kingdom with whoremongers, murderers, thieves and liars, in a state of recovery.  He is filling His kingdom with ex-whoremongers, ex-murderers, ex-thieves and ex-liars in a stated of redemption.  He is filling His kingdom with justified and sanctified men and women of God! 

Would you like to learn what it means to be clean from your past and experience the victory over sin that only Christ Jesus can give? do not rely on the arm of flesh, but make the Word of god the man of your counsel.

Please do not look at this reply as a sarcastic response. Please take it at face value. It is meant as a sincere apology.  Please, try to over look all the imperfections with which I know it surely is rife.

You are so right. I burst into your conversation, brandishing exclamation marks, making pompous assertions, like a self righteous hypocrite, who considers himself “a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness, An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, having the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law.” I am sorry for my rude and arrogant demeanor and behavior.  “The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through people who behave as I did.  It is because, people like me, so prone to spew such thoughtless words, people so often recoil from the way of truth.  Surely, I have forever soiled my reputation and you can never trust me to be anything, an evil brute, completely devoid of Christ and nothing but a disciple of Satan himself.  You have no reason to believe that I am worthy of any other esteem.

What reason, could you have to judge that I am anything else?

I caste my self at your mercy.  I deserve nothing more than your complete contempt and utter disgust. I am not worthy of the mercy of God or man. I am no more worthy to be call a son of God than was the son who squandered his inheritance on riotous living. Do you really think there is any kind of hope for me, one whom you have ascertained to be in bondage to a mindset which is from the very pit of hell? Do you believe you  could ever forgive me?  Do you really believe that God could redeem me from the judgmental attitude that seems to be embedded in the very core of my sinful fallen nature?

Its very awesome Teresa. We thank God for every single thing in our lives. May we be the blessing and handful to other.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2022   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service