Adventist Online

I would like to see some text from both the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy concerning who the 24 elders mentioned in Revelation 4 & 5 are.  I am aware that there are at least 2 mainline beliefs on this:

(1) They are representatives of un-fallen worlds.

(2) They are the first fruits resurrected with Christ.

There may be a couple others out there, but from my knowledge these are the 2 main ones.  I personally believe they are the representatives of un-fallen worlds.  I was recently talking to a friend who said he used to believe as I do, but has switched his opinion.  He said he has heard studies with strong arguments for them being the resurrected with Christ.  Anyway, I would like to see texts for both, particularly supporting them being the first fruits resurrected with Christ.

Jon

Views: 4516

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent discussion. Stephen Bohr has an excellent sermon on this topic. I am not usually on the same theological page as Bohr ... but I thought he did a good job on this topic. Very Bible based which at times .... when at times .... all he does is quote Ellen White.
Jon....24 Elders

Turning from the Father, who sat upon the throne, John saw
four and twenty seats round about the throne. These seats
were occupied by four and twenty elders, "clothed in white
raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold." These
also represent the atoning work of Christ. They represent
men from every kindred, tongue, and people, redeemed by the
blood of Christ, clothed with the white raiment of His
righteousness, and wearing on their heads the crowns of
victory, which are promised to every overcomer. They were
of that company who arose from the grave when Christ came
from the tomb, and who are spoken of by Paul as a
"multitude of captives," offered to the Father as the first
fruits from the dead.
The work of these four and twenty
elders is described in the fifth chapter, and for that reason,
they are but mentioned in this connection as
sitting near the throne. p. 96, Para. 1, [PATMOS].

I pray that this helps!

With Brotherly Love
Anthony Manns,

Where was that quote from?

Jon
Google........Seer of Patmos, Steven Haskell.pdf
That's interesting. Was Steven Haskell inspired?
N Him....were you?

Jon...please don't entertain N Him......
Yes Anthony .... God does inspire me.

Thanks for asking.

But, I have no idea about this Haskell person. Could we have a little background info?
Have a great day, inspired!
Were you?
Was I?
Was Jon?
An interesting subject Jon.

I have a little thought on the 24 elders. I don't have any real conviction on it, but I think it possible that the subject of the 24 elders relates to the 24 divisions of the priesthood, which came into existence in the days of Zadok the priest.

The 24 divisions [or 'orders'] are described in 1Chronicles 24:1-19

"Now the first lot came forth to Jehoiarib, the 2nd to Jedaiah,
The 3rd to Harim, the 4th to Seorim,
The 5th to Malchijah, the 6th to Mijamin,
The 7th to Hakkoz, the 8th to Abijah,
The 21st to Jachin, the 22nd to Gamul,
The 23rd to Delaiah, the 24th to Maaziah.
These were the orderings of them in their service to come into the house of the Lord, according to their manner, under Aaron their father, as the LORD God of Israel had commanded him..."

These 24 divisions [or orders] appear to still have been in effect in Jesus' day, since the father of John the Baptist is said to have belonged to the priestly "order" of "Abia" (Lk 1:5,8), the 8th of the 24 orders.

I think it is possible that these 24 "orders" (or divisions) of the priesthood are "figures" which point to the true, and that the 24 "elders" represent, not individuals, but rather, 24 divisions of those that have ministered through the gospel dispensation.
Interesting topics:

Revelation Chapter 4 - Have no Jesus
And he (the Father) that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald. And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold. (verse 3,4), And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God (Holy Spirit) (vs 5) verse 8 (4 living creatures)

Revelation Chapter 5 - And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals. (vs 1) Now there is Jesus.

From my understanding: During the time Jesus was on earth, Rev ch4 has 24 Elders from unfallen worlds. At the Ascension, Revelation ch5, Jesus sat on the throne on right side, accompanied by 24 Patriarchs/Prophets firstfruits that were raised w/ him, they are now more able to related to mankind in 1st Judgment, they replaced the 1st 24 from unfallen worlds. However, there are 24 Divisions of Priesthood per 1Chronicle 24. So at the 2nd Coming the 144,000 will be part of that 24 Divisions. And the 12 Apostles will sit to rule the 12 tribes made of that 144,000.

In HIs grace.
William....it seens you mised verse 1 of Rev 4......

After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will show thee things which must be hereafter.

That's Jesus

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by