Adventist Online

“How many Beasts are represented in Revelation 13?” The answer most commonly given is Two:

1. The Papal Beast (that received a mortal wound), and
2. The two-horned American Beast (which was “coming up” in 1798 as the Papacy was going down).

And yet, as one of our pioneers once wrote, “A superficial view of this prophecy has led many [SDA] writers to err on this point”. (J.H. Waggoner).

Waggoner’s statement is more fully expressed : “This Image is not one erected by the Papal power, but it is an image or likeness of that [Papal] power erected by another power in another locality. A superficial view of this prophecy has led many writers to err on this point, supposing it might be fulfilled by the Catholic Church making an image for its own worship; but that does not meet the demands of this scripture.” (J.H. Waggoner).

James White also writes that the “Image of the Beast” represents “another ecclesiastical body”, quite distinct from the Roman Church. And in the same way, A.T. Jones comments that the Image of the Beast is “an American Papacy, distinct from, but no better than, the Roman Papacy.”

It quickly becomes apparent in the writings of our pioneers, that THREE distinct Beasts are brought to view in Revelation 13 – The Papal Beast, the American Beast, and the Image Beast. (Note that Mrs. White also speaks of “the Image Beast” in A Word to the Little Flock p.19)

So which of these three Beasts brings in the “mark of the Beast”?

Now “the mark of the beast is the papal Sabbath” (Evangelism p.234). This is a fact. But who introduces the “mark” (the Papal Sabbath), and who enforces it? The Papacy? No, the Papacy will not be the one to bring that “mark” upon the world. It will be brought in and enforced by another agency – a Papal Twin/Copy/Image.

Consider part of the sequence given in Revelation 13.

The Second Beast [the United States] says “to them that dwell on the earth [i.e. to the American people (GC 443)], that THEY should make an Image to the Beast, which had the wound by a sword and did live.”

[The making of this Image (or Twin) to the Papal system, means the creation of a Church/State system. (Because the Papal system is a Church/State system.) But for this to happen in the United States, a change would need to be made in the American Constitution. (Of course the Constitution currently maintains a separation of Church and State.) Thus the prophecy represents a call to the people. All the American population must be called upon for the creation of this Papal Twin, because for the Constitution to be changed, the American people must all be involved. The power to create a Papal Twin lies exclusively with them.]

When the people have ‘made’ the Image, “he [the United States] had power to give life unto the Image of the Beast, [so] that the Image of the Beast should both speak [i.e. legislate (GC 442)] and cause as many as would not worship the Image of the Beast should be killed.” (Rev 13:15)

Thus we may see that the “Image” is not the Papacy; nor is it the United States – it will be another ecclesiastical body altogether. It will be “an American Papacy, distinct from, but no better than, the Roman Papacy.” (A.T. Jones.)

The prophecy teaches that the United States has power “to give life” to the Image Beast, once the people have ‘made’ it. [It appears that the United States and the Image both retain a distinct identity... America is not represented as simply changing into an Image of the Papacy.]

Of course the Image is not going to be a statue, a picture on paper, or anything like that. It will be a living image/copy of the old Papal organization. It will "live" like the old Papacy, and it will "speak" like the old Papacy, and it will "act" like the old Papacy.

The Papacy was given a “mouth” – the “mouth of a Lion... speaking great things and blasphemies”. (Rev 13:2,5). A Lion’s mouth is a bold mouth, and so it was with the Papacy. Among it’s bold, daring, claims was the claim to infallibility. It also claimed the power to forgive sins. It offered the sale of “indulgences” so that a person might sin with impunity, which is to say, with no consequence. Perhaps these are among the most daring and blasphemous claims to proceed from its mouth.

We may be sure that the Image will “speak” with the same kind of boldness against the God of Heaven.

Views: 727

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I follow the Bible and the SOP. You have some wild eyed  opinions.

You apparently follow the evangelical futuristic theories regarding Israel. At least I am willing to say what I believe and it is in harmony with the Bible and SOP. Just who do you believe the so called third beast to be ? If you have Inspired support for your belief you would not need to play cat and mouse with it.. You quoted the SOP at one point but reject a considerable amount of it. It is not consistent to do a smorgasbord with Inspiration.

The fact that you are becoming insulting rather than dealing with the subject matter is more evidence of a weak argument.

You apparently follow the evangelical futuristic theories regarding Israel.

What does the Spirit of prophecy say about judging ignorantly?

At least I am willing to say what I believe and it is in harmony with the Bible and SOP.

What you say is usually unintelligible, which is a spirit at variance with Scripture.

Just who do you believe the so called third beast to be?

The false prophet power is that only superpower that is marvelously epitomized by its willingness to sell its soul for world control.

If you have Inspired support for your belief you would not need to play cat and mouse with it.

That’s just your characterization of what you misinterpret and refuse to understand.

You quoted the SOP at one point but reject a considerable amount of it. It is not consistent to do a smorgasbord with Inspiration.

True prophets frequently speak from the perspective of their own revelations and ignore the conditional prophecies of bygone eras.  

The fact that you are becoming insulting rather than dealing with the subject matter is more evidence of a weak argument.

The only relevant insult is you not understanding the opening post, imagining that you have something to say and then posting unintelligible comments about it in non-sentences.

Shubee said "The false prophet power is that only superpower that is marvelously epitomized by its willingness to sell its soul for world control."

Here is my point. You sound like those in the world that say the mark of the beast will be put on the hand or the forehead. Ask them who the beast is and they say " the one that places the mark." Ask them "what is the mark and they answer " it is what the beast places on the lost." Ask them what is that and they answer " it is what the Bible says will happen." 

You are presenting something and you do not even know what it is. 

You said that you say what you believe. Ok, who is "that only superpower that is marvelously  eptitomized by its willingness to sell its soul for world control ? "

If you are saying it is the US then you are trying to be vague simply to argue. If you think it is someone other than the US then who are you saying that it is ?

Scripture and the SOP both identify perfectly that it is the United States. This is what I agree that it is.

Very simply, what power to group of people are you saying the false prophet is ? Be specific. If you do not know then do not push hard an empty wheel barrow. 

Shubee said : "True prophets frequently speak from the perspective of their own revelations and ignore the conditional prophecies of bygone eras."

And false prophets think they have more accurate revelation than the true prophets. They use their opinions to rewrite the Bible. Wit that false logic they can invent anything they wish.

Tossed to and fro with every wind of doctrine.

As far as I understand the issue of the image to the beast there is only two beasts not tree, Let us establish a few points. First, we must understand that the final conflict will be over worship. All inhabitants of earth will be divided into one of two camps before the end—those who worship the beast and those who worship the Creator. How will the whole earth be brought to make this choice between the creature and the Creator? The Bible predicts a time when the beast will gain immense political influence. From this position of authority, he will force people to worship him. Those who refuse will be economically boycotted and eventually sentenced to death. “And he had power to . . . cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed. And he causeth all . . . to receive a mark . . . that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name” (Revelation 13:15-17).

As the beast seeks to enforce worship through force, God mercifully warns people against the beast and urges them to worship Him as Creator. “And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. . . . And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God” (Revelation 14:6-10).

The Christian church has not escaped the permeating influence of humanism. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), in its document “Human Sexuality and the Christian Faith” (December 1991), challenges its members to evaluate prejudices against homosexuals, insisting that “what we personally find offensive is not necessarily sinful.” Furthermore, it says, “We must distinguish between moral judgments regarding same-sex activity in biblical times and in our own time.” We see this influence making its mark even here in the SDA church. Personally I believe that Womans Ordination is also part of the Humanism movement.

God wants us to flee from humanism. Repeatedly, He has warned us against its deadly influence and shown how it would infiltrate the church. Using the symbol of a little horn in Daniel chapter 7, God predicted the Antichrist would be humanistic. “I considered the horns, and, behold, there came up among them another little horn, . . . and, behold, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of man, and a mouth speaking great things” (Daniel 7:8). Notice that it is not the eyes of the Spirit that are on this little horn, but “the eyes of man.” Here we see that Antichrist lacks true spiritual discernment and sees life only through human eyes.

Because the Antichrist looks at things through humanistic eyes, he is led to some fearfully bold actions. He makes declarations that are counter to God’s truth. “And he shall speak great words against the most High . . . and think to change times and laws” _(Daniel 7:25). The ultimate expression of his humanism is to make people think God’s law has been changed

He has especially attacked those laws which exalt God as Creator—laws such as the second and fourth commandments. During the Middle Ages, the papal church compromised the second commandment and introduced graven images into Christendom. Today, Catholic catechisms omit the Bible’s second commandment, thus turning people away from their Creator.

Another law that has been “changed” by the little horn is the fourth commandment, which also exalts God as Creator. It establishes a weekly memorial to the Creator by commanding worship and rest from secular pursuits on the seventh-day Sabbath, Saturday. The apostle Paul also understood the humanistic foundation of the Antichrist—“Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day [the second coming] shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshiped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.” (2 Thessalonians 2:3, 4).

The man of sin, the Antichrist, assumes God’s place over the church. He declares himself to be God and that he has the power to institute doctrine, even if it is contrary to the Bible. This again is humanism—humans setting themselves up as a higher authority than God.

Daily we make decisions based upon whether or not we trust and obey God as our Creator. The cumulative effect of these decisions forms our characters. And the final conflict between the beast and God will reveal what character we have developed. This is what the seal of God and the mark of the beast are all about.

The mark that we receive in the last days, whether it be God’s seal or the beast’s mark, will be the outward evidence of the type of inner character we have chosen to develop. Those who receive the mark of the beast have lived lives of self-sufficiency and disobedience. Because they have followed the beast’s principles of self-sufficiency it will be an easy matter for them to receive the mark of the beast.

A cursory reading of Rev. 13 tells us that worship is the main issue. The Antichrist power will unite with the False Prophet to accomplish the false Sabbath Rev 16:13 And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet. We see here the shift of naming the two horned beast of Rev. 13 has now been named the false prophet. The unholy trinity and antichristian coalition of the dragon the beast and the false prophet is the same as in Rev. 12 and 13. There is only a name change happening the players are the same.

Of course the Image is not going to be a statue, a picture on paper, or anything like that. It will be a living image/copy of the old Papal organization. It will "live" like the old Papacy, and it will "speak" like the old Papacy, and it will "act" like the old Papacy.

The SDA church needs to stop adoring the 19th Century Adventist mindset and start examining the compatibility of Scripture with 21st Century reality. The fundamental ideology of the Vatican State has been perfectly reproduced in the Zionist State of Israel. What’s the essential difference between attaining salvation through the prestige of the Catholic Church and the newfangled doctrine of "once-saved, always-saved" which teaches that Jewish people have unconditional salvation?

Israel is not a super power. Without the US it would be blown away.

It does not have lamblike features and as a nation openly rejects Christ.

While the idea of Israel being this superpower is very sensational and fits right in with Baptist belief it is not Scriptural.

There is nothing in Scripture to indicate that Revelation 13 is conditional. It is a statement of facts that have come to pass and will continue to do so. Some here are attempting to unsettle the weaker brethren from the platform of truth. While they may mean well and think they have a deeper understanding than everyone else they are promoting evolution.

The fundamental ideology of the Vatican State is being perfectly reproduced in the United States. It just is not completed yet.  While most of the Christian world is glued to Israel it is happening right under our noses.....as the prophet declared it would be. 

was that a response to my post Shubee? Besides the prophecy given to us in the Bible is near 2000 years old now and we have seen most of the prophecies being filled over the years since. They are timeless and I believe the last few to come will be filled exactly as stated.

I am amazed that you can claim the Zionist state will have any part to play in this, did not Paul make it clear that the Hebrews needs to accept Christ in the same way we need to?   

Yes, I was responding to you. What makes you think that I don't accept that the third scenario in the book of Revelation is progressing on course to a perfect fulfillment? Were you misled by Colporteur?

I am amazed that you can claim the Zionist state will have any part to play in this

Already US citizens are being persecuted for not showing reverence to Zionism. Furthermore, Zionism originated as a reflection of Catholic dogma. I especially noticed that you have nothing to say about the strong links between Zionism and Catholicism.

Did not Paul make it clear that the Hebrews needs to accept Christ in the same way we need to?  

What did I say to the contrary? You need to repent of being so easily deceived by Colporteur.

Now “the mark of the beast is the papal Sabbath” (Evangelism p.234). This is a fact.

Most Seventh-day Adventists believe that Ellen G. White’s prophecies of the future are absolutely unconditional, so, supposedly, Sister White’s visions of the future rank higher than the prophecies of the Bible, which are mostly conditional. There are a few dissenting opinions that refuse to assume the absolute unconditionality of Sister White's eschatology.

Shubee, I don't think I am among the group designated by "most Seventh-day Adventists".

The Bible principle, expressing the conditional nature of prophecy, is given by the prophets. For example,

"When I [God] say to the wicked, 'You shalt surely die'; and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; that same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at your hand."  (Ezekiel 3:18)

The sure word of God, pronouncing a person's death, is generally given to save their lives !

I apply the same Divine principle to the writings of Mrs. White.

Nevertheless, I still hold to my earlier comment about the mark of the beast.

Anything can happen in the distant future but honest Seventh-day Adventists should be willing to admit that events aren't unfolding in the direction Sister White predicted. Even the Adventist Review has acknowledged this.

Israel came up the the very borders of the promised land, but they had to turn back into the wilderness for another 40 years. This has been our experience too, I believe. During the 1800's we literally came up to the borders of the Promised Land, but we turned back.

That eventuality was seen by Ellen White, and I suggest that things have unfolded among us, just as she predicted.

"We may have to remain here in this world because of insubordination many more years, as did the children of Israel..." (Maranatha p.19)

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service