Adventist Online

There was this time i had to go to the doctor (early in the morning) but I'm not accustomed to waking up early so when i wake up (a bit late) i only have enough time to prepare to go. I felt guilty preparing because i hadn't prayed enough yet. So instead of going to tge doctor, i decided to spend the morning praying because i normally pray in the morning.

I realized later that i was probably being extreme... because i whole family was worried and wondered why i changed my mind on going..

Now I'm going out with my best friend and i did2wake up early enough to pray for long. I probably prayed for 10 minutes.. when i started preparing to go out, i started wondering if i had prayed enough.. and i was filled with doubt and I didn't think I'd have enough time to pray now and still meet up with my friend early. Plus even if i did decide to pray i would have probably felt anxious.

So if i did decide to start preparing even if i hadn't prayed enough, does that mean that I'm putting something else before God? Or if i decided to cancel the whole outing to pray in the morning, would that be extreme?

Views: 327

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have to be careful when giving answers to personal questions. Your prayer and study time in the morning in between you and God. Speaking generally, devoting 30 mins to 1 hour for prayer and bible study (morning devotion) should be adequate, but you can do it until you feel satisfied. If you realize that your time with God in the morning is inadequate then try getting up earlier. Your prayers dont always have to be very long to cause your family to be concern. You can also pray during the course of the day. We should always be in the attitude of prayer but this does not mean you have to spent 2 hours for morning devotion when you have other things to do, we have to be practical. If you need two or three hours then wake up very early by 3 or 4 am. 

Your morning devotion should not interfere with your family, school or work. It is better to wake up before everyone to have a quiet time with Jesus, usually about 30 mins or more. praying is important but bible reading and meditating on what you read even more so. 

It is very often that new Christians become extremists then slide to the other extreme and become liberals and after a while some become balanced Christians. Try to be balance ...practical ..

Don't be extreme since this will this will send the wrong message 

Ok. Thanks Jason. Sometimes, when i feel like i haven't prayed enough in the morning, i feel like i can't do anything else until i pray a good quality prayer or a long one. Sometimes i stay all day doing little to nothing because I feel i shouldn't do anything else unless i pray again.

And typing that now just makes me think of how extreme that is!! Even if i know it's probably extreme and i go do something else other than praying, i feel weird for doing it...

Lol ocd! Classical symptoms

Hmm, I'm no doctor but it sounds like you may have OCD. I don't know much about OCD, but I've heard they can form rituals that create anxiety if they don't keep them. And even if they do keep them, they tend to go back and do the ritual again and again for fear of uncertainty.

Again, I'm no doctor, and I don't know much of OCD. So my thoughts really mean nothing. But it could be that your "fear of not praying enough" is not even based on too much spirituality or lack thereof.

Good point Grey 

I thought about that too Grey but then i disqualified the thought because i felt i was looking for excuses... I'm still not too quick to jump to that conclusion though

Hi Janny,

It's good you have personal prayer with God daily and sad a lot of people only do it routinely when their life is in danger.  I would never tell you to stop a routine like yours, you didn't go to the doctor but you're here telling us about that for a reason and I'm thankful for God being with you through your decision.  I don't want to tell you anything you already know but remember just like those who only seek him with they are in a time/place of trouble that part of your routine with God can happen anywhere ;)...   I'm sure both you and God will understand when those times come.  

God is ready and willing to listen in whatever situation we're in.  He listened to me the moments I had before my vehicle uncontrollably went down an embankment, he was with me when the vehicle was prevented from going all the way down by a tree trunk smaller than my leg, he was with me when I got out of the vehicle with only a bloody nose despite the vehicle being effectively totaled and God was listening to me after I climbed up the embankment and walked down the lonely road in the middle of nowhere at a time of night when no one normally travels and a Samaritan stopped despite my bloody condition and took me to a safe place where i was able to contact the police and EMTs confirmed outside of a bloody nose I had no other trauma.

Our God is a wonderful and marvelous God capable of all things we should never limit him to certain places, times or things.

God Bless

Thanks Rabbitroup. That's an amazing testimony!

Prayer is the fruit of acting out the third arrangement of words....it's about power seeking from GOD

Here is the words

Ex 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Here is Jesus saying the same thing in a positive sense

Mt 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Praying is an action where we claim Jesus character, we use this power wisely or in vain. Meekness is a fruit of right praying, while arrogance is the fruit of wrong praying.... Getting the balance right is a fine line, between presumption and arrogance, or humility and meekness.

Meekness is the eye fixed on Jesus... it's a whole soul devotion thing, an active daily concept where you talk to Jesus second by second for hours on end, usually informally as you do your daily tasks... Formal prayers on the knee is important as this action concretes humility on your behalf... when you do this ?

When?

Ec 11:6 In the morning sow thy seed, and in the evening withhold not thine hand: for thou knowest not whether shall prosper, either this or that, or whether they both shall be alike good ...(this is the same main times a plant drinks water)

How long does pray take to make fruit?

Ec 11:1 ¶ Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.

Attitude ?

Eze 12:18 Son of man, eat thy bread with quaking, and drink thy water with trembling and with carefulness;

Your times of praying early in the morning is a good idea....plants drink their water before tribulation comes...and once I asked God to wake me as long as my sleep times would not exhaust me, so I used to wake from 2 to 3 am every morning, in my torah training...before going to work...

Prayer is about power, and most power is given for the salvation of others, so is a useful tool when witnessing and helping others...

The concept of meekness is interesting...

Isa 29:14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder:

There are wonderful promises of power , a wonder of wonder...such as the coming of Jesus

Hab 1:5 ¶ Behold ye among the heathen, and regard, and wonder marvellously: for I will work a work in your days, which ye will not believe, though it be told you.

The concept of meekness comes with your daily devotions to reading His words of life...

Isa 29:19 The meek also shall increase their joy in the LORD,

One example of a torah training prayer which Jesus did to me many years ago...

May God , my strong authority be praised !

Jesus is talking to me, through my conscience in prayer. Prayer is talking to my strong authority.

Me: "I have forgotten my diary book";

Ja: "Walk back and get it, there's time..."

Me: [looking at my mobile phone time] "not enough time..."

Ja: [silence]

Me: "walks to wharf, waiting for ferry boat..." [after long time...a couple arrives, he starts fishing and leaves his wife to fish, while he fishes elsewhere...]

Ja: "..talk to her.."

Me: "not me Lord.." [ despondency ]

Ja: "..be my witness..."

Me: [ a man arrives and I talk to him....finally...after many excuses to fumble time..]"..Alright..."

Ja: "..the servant who says He will go..but doesn't.."

Me: "..I see the boat is not coming..." [...finally I talk to her,.. we make light talk of timetables, and boats...]

Ja: "..meekness is not just about weakness...its also about courage.."

Me: "..I see.."

Courage.... Learning to have the courage to witness, and talk when Jesus tells me to talk His words.

When Jesus talks, listening happens, but so one must obedient...

Obedience is a difficult thing to achieve, especially when we are weak and lack

courage, but even more so when our sin of pride stands in the way. The ferry

boat was late, running on a different time table today. Jesus was right, I had

time to walk back and get my diary book, in fact 2 hours of time.

So I wait for the next ferry boat, several hours ahead of time, with time to

record another example of prayer, for you, the reader. In an effort to show you

how prayer works, how Jesus through prayer expects obedience, and notice

how fast prayer is answered. Prayer is Jesus talking to you. Often we see

prayer as the proud sinner praying to his god.

Prayer is mostly about Jesus talking back to you. So listen and wait for the

still small voice. Shalom

Jesus brought His servant, this communication the morning of Tuesday April 26 2011

Hope this helps

Shalom

Yes it helped a ton! Thanks a lot Rob

Hello Janny,

You raise important, interesting, issues and I have a couple of thoughts that I'd like to share if I may.

One of these relates to the time when Israel were beside the Red Sea. The Hebrews see that the Egyptian army has caught up to them. It is late in the day, and the Egyptians set up their camp, shutting Israel in, leaving them with no way of escape. Many of the Hebrews have begun to "lose it", blaming Moses for the apparent disaster they feel sure they will face in the morning.

Then Moses lifted up his voice unto the Lord. "And the Lord said to Moses, 'Why do you cry to Me? Tell the children of Israel to go forward..." (Exodus 14:15)

Moses felt that it was necessary to pray/talk to God, but God effectively says to him, "Why are you talking to Me? Tell the people to move forward...". It was time for action, not a time to continue in prayer. Sometimes God would much rather that we be doing something, rather than talking to Him.

The second thought sounds almost contradictory, but I don't think it really is. It comes from the Spirit of Prophecy, and says,

"Guard jealously your hours for prayer, Bible study, and self-examination. Set aside a portion of each day for a study of the Scriptures and communion with God." (Gospel Workers p.100.)

"Guard jealously", that is, be protective of your prayer time, and don't allow other things to intrude/interfere.

Wow thanks a lot Stewart. That really helped. I like that Spirit of prophecy quote.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service