Adventist Online

John 14:6   Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me KJV .…

if not then why the ‘let us work together and exploit what we have in common’?

Views: 497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@ Leoanard .... you say.... Would you like those who question your remnant theology to leave?

I believe this is what the Lord asks us to do.  I humbly remind ...

Isaiah  1:18   Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. KJV

2 Timothy 2:15   Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. KJV

John 5:39   Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. KJV

I want to think we are in one team, or in the same boat like in Noah's time.  Remembering that many of God's children since time memorial; have spent hours searching scripture and God in His wisdom guided and guarded His word jealously (He still does i believe even today and now) so that those like us, years later would be enriched by their written messages as impressed on by God. 

We still have the Bible to guide and any other material is accepted only as it corresponds with what the Bible teaches.  As much as we may refer to the 'remnant theology' as ours, to the extent that it matches to the 't' what God requires...it is not ours but His.  We lay claim to it only as we have accepted God, believing by faith He authored it for ALL who come to hear of it (including us) to accept or reject ...thereafter share it till we either die or He comes; and believe He has guided this movement from inception...believe He will do so till He comes again. hope i have not minced/confused my words there sir ... just my thoughts... let us continue to study about God ... God bless.

Sounds like an ecumenical approach to me.  Find common ground build friendships. Friends listen to each other.

@ Teresa, hi there madam. The ...There are many of these which are dear to all Christians. Here is common ground, upon which we can meet people of other denominations; and in becoming acquainted with them we should dwell mostly upon topics in which all feel an interest, and which will not lead directly and point ...  was counsel for use on a personal basis or maybe even family ministry basis rather than church or at conference level?  what are your thoughts on that?

This discussion is sometimes very confusing cause of the close connection between religion and culture. So sometimes after much heated conversation we realize (if we're honest) that no we are now struggling to express that my culture is better than yours. Many of the negatives that we can list about another religion are in reality cultural versions of a philosophy like the role of woman, dietary guidelines, "proper" dress, "appropriate" worship styles, "acceptable" dance like expressions, etc....

Peeling away to a deeper level past cultural chess matches the answer to this question somewhat depends on the objective of the observant. People come to religion for many different reasons. For a vast number of objectives there may be several equally valid options.Some of these types of objectives might include: prestige in the community, professional networking, family/tribal fellowship, orderly celebration of lifetime milestones (birth, coming of age, marriage, death etc). Also, Having an approach to understand suffering and coping with it.

Then there are the times when a person says there is more to this life. They might reflect on the round of activities that fills their hours and keeps them so busy and long for something of transcendent value to connect with. A person might stare up on a starry night and blink wondering if their existance is by accident or if a god saw them from a far off and waited for them to fulfil a purpose. They might sense from the invisible realm that someone calls to them and is beckoning them; their heart might burn to make contact with the heart behind the veil. For this purpose religion after religion will fail miserably and will go into the ditch in failure. Only Jesus Christ emerges with an arm that is long enough to reach in and save, only his ear offers the healing attention to our deepest tears (Isa 59:1). Only a religion based on on a first hand relationship with this Reedeemer, this Savior will fit the bill of the soul that hungers and thirsts after the Living God.

Joseph-Tayler

You have written some wise words.  However, in the same line, may I suggest another point.  If God has spoken in regards to a matter, it removes it from the area of culture or personal opinnion.  So very often you hear:

"Well, I think."  or "In my opinion."  or "I feel that . . . .."   Not that these are always wrong.  E.g. in the area of dress.  The original dress was a robe of light.  Not readily avaiable today.  I was in a fabric shop and they did not have any cloth of "light."  In the days before modern weaving, they wore "seemless robes."  I have not ever see one of those.  Even baptisimal robes are seamless.  

So, there is room, within boundries, for individual likes or dislikes.  However, when we are given the right to choose, we also inherit the accountability for our choice and the results of that choice. 

If God has not addressed the subject and there is no moral principle involved, then what you said is correct.  No one culture is better then another (except one's own, of course. TIC) just as no one person's opinion is better then anothers.  What is truely important is whether we are allowing God to lead in our lives. 

Anoither example.  If a very shapely woman goes out in public with only the bare essentials only paritlally coverd, and a sinner who is not letting God control his life rapes her.  She is just as, if not more accountable then he is for that rape.  If it is not for sale, don't advertise and display it. 

And if God says something is wrong, then we only have two things to do. 

1.  OBEY what God has said.

2.  Seeek to know more fully what it is that God has said so we can choose to obey more fully.

End of disucussion in that matter.  However, that is usually where the argumentation starts. Grin.

Maranatha :)
Ray

Forgive me brother; I'm going to challenge you a little here.

I do recognize that the scriptures have something to say on just about every facet I listed as an example of cultural disagreement; and many more infact. It is a very undefendable position to simply say the Bible gives a clear statement on this matter; we must live by it. A person doesn't maintain integrity with that view unless they happen to be living a lifestyle that is like a conservative orthodox jew. (I understand that orthodox jews have restrictions beyond the Torah, but the presence of the body of the talmud makes my point.) It's not enough to simply take a raw text and exhort others to live by it. If that is the way you live then my hats off to you and I'm ready to apologize. A scriptural reference needs to be evaluated and understood within the contexts of linguistics, cultural and the rest of the scriptures. Let me give one example that might appear to be a digression then I'll hit the subject at hand. Let's take the sixth Commandment, "Thou shalt not kill." If a person wakes up one day and believes that God has spoken to him to go and kill another person, we would say to put the brakes on and check the scriptures cause God won't command you to brake one of his ten commandments. Within SDA understanding the Law of God (10 Commandments of Ex 20) existed long before they were etched at Mount Sinai. However when Abraham recieved the command to take his son Issac, kill him and offer him as a sacrifice; what it he would have said wait a minute God's law is against killing? Then Abraham would not have been in keeping with God's will. Abraham understood and acted accordingly that God was asking him to do something very serious and he proceeded correctly to follow through.

Now on the cultural issues that often are the centerpiece of religious controversy; the same is true. There are things about the role of woman, "proper" dress etc....There are scriptural passages that address these issues. In fact here are a few:

"Do not trim off the hair on your temples or trim your beards. (Lev 19:27)

"If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it
is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover
her head." (1 Cor. 11:6).

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet." (1 Tim 2:12)

Do we and the members of our community live by even one of the above texts? There are several more too that I could list as well. For each text we call for a time out and say let's understand these things in context, let's get a handle on the principles here. Once you've done that (and you must) you crossed into the realm of interpretation. Every text needs an interpretation to be applied. Most people latch on to the interpretation explained by their faith or cultural community. We deeply frown upon those who venture to take up an original interpretation.

So it sounds elevated to say that God has spoken and established clear moral boundaries; but it's dishonest and/or disingenuous. Not only that but it's one of the sources of the prevading exteriour view of the church being so full of hypocrites.

The truth is the scripture is read then interpreted. Are we living a life of integrity with our interpretation?

Let me head you off cause all interpretations aren't equally valid. But one's core interpretation needs to be developed on the level of a living, vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ. A relationship characterized by obedience, sacrifice, integrity and love. Then the scripture is fulfilled that says, "The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment." (1 Cor 2:15).

Aman Teresa, well said.

Missionaries indeed have a difficult calling. I'm sure that the vast majority have their heart's in the right place.

That's for sure Joseph!

there is only one way to the Lord and that is it.  What was the commission the Lord gave to the disciples.  Preach the truth and baptise.   I do not see any, contend with those who do not believe as you believe in there.  We are not told to join together with other churches and come to some consensus as to what we all agree on and stick with that.  The SOP tells us to not contend with others, it is a waste of time really and only gets you all frustrated which is not of God.  Keep your eyes on the Lord and in the way He has lead.  The truth is the Truth and there is none other.  Does the SDA church have the Truth when you get to the bare bones?  Forget about all the useless arguing about stuff that people don't like because they can't have a clear conscience and follow the real truth at the same time.  I am talking about the pure truth, you know, like what the SOP talks about and no you can't interpret it any way you want with an honest heart just like the Bible.  It says the truth and if you want to mix it up your not being honest to the Truth.  So the final answer is, no all religions are not equal.  There were antichrists in Paul's time and there are many today even in the SDA church especially in the SDA church.  Our job is to teach the truth and baptise.  Let everyone else argue about whatever and remember that the SDA church is going to look like a sinking ship just before it reaches the harbour but it will go threw.  Our own members will be our worst enemies in the last days so don't be surprised if they are already stabbing you in the back now.  It is going to happen so get use to it.  It just shows your in the the only Church that is true!  

If you think that you are in the church of God [SDA], then all religions are not equal.

You cannot eat from both side of the cake.

Being equal means to have the same set of values. The same approach. the same holy scriptures to look and consult. The meaning of religion is to unite and bring together under one roof. U said all religions but brother Scobs you are fully aware that there is one religion the religion of God it is man who divides with our different school of thoughts. 

Coming to the point of our chruch, we are aware that we have got the voice of prophecy to back us. Meaning the small light to back the big light meaning the Holy Bible. 

So we as sda are born to stay ahead and there is one bible and there is one Jesus and there are many sinners!!! that make many religions and many school of thoughts which will not be equal. Because in sinners there are mixtures of both the would be good and the already spoil which is sin. So we say we are equal yet we seek to be slightly different. Like those who keep the sabbath same as us but they have not been given the Voice of Prophecy as an heritage. A little nuance that alter we will never be equal.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service