Adventist Online

Are 'Celebration SDA Churches', new path to God, or away from truth?

Look at this as it is a eye opening shock of cold water on those who are pushing the Willow Creek Model of 'Celebration SDA Churches' with its hidden 'Spiritual Formation':

"My Pilgrimage to U.S.A. Celebration Churches

By the late 1980s, Australian Adventist administrators, evangelists, and pastors were looking for an answer to the challenge of this post-Christian era. They wanted to know how to successfully grow their churches.

It was at this time that the "celebration movement" was introduced to the world church of Seventh-day Adventists. The church’s leading papers heralded the first celebration churches in Milwaukie, a suburb of Portland, Oregon; and Colton, California, U.S.A. This new type of church was believed to be the answer to our church growth problems, as hundreds were flocking to these celebration churches. I was one of the pastors who embarked upon this pilgrimage.

My first opportunity to observe the celebration church movement in detail was in June 1990. I was part of a group of 30 Australian pastors who were taken on a Church Growth Tour through the U.S.A. to learn how to grow churches. Two of the "growing" Adventist churches we visited were Milwaukee and Colton. With glowing enthusiasm their pastors told of the crowds of worshippers who were attending. Their excitement was contagious. We took notes, filed materials, and then attended some of their services.

I was in my 38th year of ministry, having been a departmental director and pastor/evangelist. Observing these celebration churches caused me concern as I saw their sacred worship services accompanied with lights and loud disco-type music of secular, worldly entertainment. The distinctive truths of the three angels’ messages and the Spirit of Prophecy had given way to a message of "love and acceptance." Church standards had suffered a similar fate, as members were encouraged to be "loving" and not "judgmental." However, many of those attracted to these services could not see the dangers. They expressed their joy that this new presentation of the Gospel had brought to them love, understanding, and a liberation from Adventist legalism.

With almost evangelistic zeal the members were urging other Adventists from surrounding churches to join them in this newfound experience. These churches were certainly growing, and rapidly. But it was largely "transfer growth" from other Adventist churches. While they were supposed to attract and convert "unchurched Harrys and Marys," few such "kingdom-growth" baptisms were taking place.

While some of us left those celebration churches with questions in our minds, none of us had any idea that both of these churches would later collapse, with the loss of hundreds of souls. The pastor of the Milwaukee church also would become so antagonistic to the Seventh-day Adventist Church and its teachings that his soul-destroying influence would even extend to Australia. In fact, little did we realize then that one of our fellow ministers on this tour would on his return "plant" a celebration/contemporary church like those he was observing, and he too would suffer a similar fate, with the loss of the church and himself to the Adventist Church....

The Celebration Movement in the South Pacific Division

When the celebration movement was launched in the Seventh-day Adventist Church by the Milwaukie and Colton Adventist churches in America, some pragmatists in Australia and New Zealand were quick to follow them. Five church plants of this nature were attempted in the South Pacific Division, each of which adopted a celebration-type contemporary style of worship. They were: (1) Cherrybrook, Sydney, Greater Sydney Conference; (2) Cornerstone, North New Zealand Conference; (3) Fox Valley, Sydney, Greater Sydney Conference; (4) Riverside, Perth, West Australian Conference; and (5) Southside, Brisbane, South Queensland Conference.2

These five contemporary churches that were "planted" in the South Pacific Division initially experienced transfer growth from other Adventist churches, but had very little success in their style of evangelism in terms of kingdom growth. Tragically, four of these five churches are no longer in the sisterhood of Adventist churches. Like most of their American counterparts, they experienced a tragic loss of members as well as pastors.3

Besides the church "plants," some established Adventist churches also adopted aspects of the celebration church growth methods. The Church Growth leaders of the South Pacific Division specially promoted one such Sydney church (the Mt. Colah church), hoping to demonstrate the success of these pragmatic methods. However, official conference records reveal that this church only had 19 baptisms in its first nine years, and in the next five years only one baptism!4

This "model" pragmatic church now has such a small attendance that it is struggling to exist. In contrast to this celebration-type church, the neighboring "commissionist" (or traditional) church, Waitara, has so experienced real kingdom church growth that it has been asked to care for the "model" church.5 In fact, more of these celebration-type contemporary churches are in trouble, and conference leaders are becoming very embarrassed about them, having in the past enthusiastically promoted them....

A mistaken assumption of the contemporary church growth movement is that distinctive Seventh-day Adventist doctrines are a hindrance to church growth and must, therefore, be abandoned. And yet, the churches that have jumped on this bandwagon are not growing!"

Views: 2401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

NOTE; GOD COMMANDED MOSES BY REVELATION TO WRITE THE FIRST 5 BOOKS OF THE BIBLE AND BY REVELATION GAVE HIM THE FIRST 5 BOOKS OF THE BIBLE, THE LAW, CALLED THE PENTATEUCH. MOSES HEARD THE VOICE OF THE LORD, HE HEARD AND OBEYED. ALL SCRIPTURE CAME BY REVELATION.

"Lorelai Kude, studying TaNaCH 40+ years in English & 8+ years in Hebrew. The "Torah" is the 5 books of Moses (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy). The "Pentateuch" is Greek and means "Five Books", refers to the Torah i.e. the 5 Books of Moses."

THE TORAH IS THE LAW:

"To·rah

ˈtôrə,tôˈrä,ˈtōrə/
noun
  1. (in Judaism) the law of God as revealed to Moses and recorded in the first five books of the Hebrew scriptures (the Pentateuch).
    • a scroll containing this."

GREAT FAILURE to read the scriptures and understand them, including the LAW, and to understand that the 10 commandments were given to the Hebrews. If they were universal as some teach, then how could those people other than Hebrews (Jews) know about them?

The law of Moses includes the 10 commandments and the first 5 books of the Bible, in the scriptures, in history, and as followed by the Jews who preserved the Torah (law). This is undeniable!

People do not understand that "To whom a book is written to in the scriptures is very important. Otherwise apparent contradictions appear. The 7 church epistles of Romans through Thessalonians is written directly to the body of Christ, which includes the sacred secrets given to Paul by revelation which are meant to be obeyed, and to which there is a fellowship and stewardship of the sacred (or divine) secrets (transliterated as "mystery" in New Testament).

Religion to the contrary notwithstanding.

Correction: note on verse 14 should be "note on verse 16 above." regarding Sabbaths.

TRUE.  AND THERE ARE 39!! CATAGORIES WITH SUB RULES/LAWS OF THINGS PROHIBITED FROM DOING ON SABBATH, WHICH BY THE WAY WE SDA DO NOT ADHERE TO, SUCH AS WATERING A ROSE, PICKING UP A PIECE OF TRASH FROM THE FLOOR, LIFTING AN OBJECT AND PLACING IT IN A NEW PLACE.  THIS IS THE YOLK WHICH THE HEBREW VIPERS/SNAKES LAYED ON THE JEWS OF OLD (AND SOME MODERN TOO)  JESUS TOLD THE MULTITUDE THAT HIS YOLK WAS LIGHT.  FOLLOW, TRUST AND LOVE JESUS.  ALL OTHER EFFORTS WITH THE INTENTION TO PLEASE AND FIND FAVOR WITH GOD CAN LEAD YOU TO THE ROAD OF LEGALISM AND IT IS A VERY STRICT ROAD, NO ROOM FOR ERRORS.  THE OTHER ROAD IS A ROAD OF LOVE AND FORGIVENESS....... 70X7.  NOT THAT WE SHOULD GO PILE ON THE EVIL, BUT GOD KNOWS WE ARE FLESH AND SUBJECT TO FALL, BUT WE SHOULD ALWAYS STRIVE FOR PERFECTION EVEN THOUGH WE WILL NEVER OBTAIN IT WHILE ON THIS PRESENT EARTH.

Halakha (Jewish law), especially the Talmud tractate Shabbat, identifies thirty-nine categories of activity prohibited on Shabbat (Hebrew: ל״ט אבות מלאכות‬, lamed tet avot melakhot), and clarifies many questions surrounding the application of the biblical prohibitions. Many of these activities are also prohibited on the Jewish holidays listed in the Torah, although there are significant exceptions permitting carrying and preparing food under specific circumstances.

There are often disagreements between Orthodox Jews and Conservative Jews or other non-Orthodox Jews as to the practical observance of the Sabbath. It is of note that the (strict) observance of the Sabbath is often seen as a benchmark for orthodoxy and indeed has legal bearing on the way a Jew is seen by an orthodox religious court regarding their affiliation to Judaism.

Contents

Peace

James wrote:"Another related issue is that the SDA teaches that the 10 commandments were not nailed to the cross and distinguish between the 10 commandments and the "ceremonial" law.
If Jesus did not nail the 10 commandments to the cross, in taking the sins of its disobedience to himself for our righteousness and justification and sanctification, then we are all not saved, no one, because no one but Jesus Christ could keep the law perfectly..."

Oh brother James, and those like minded.... don't you know the Protestant world knows that the Morals laws of GOD hasn't been done away with? The Protestant pioneers understood the difference between Moral and ceremonial. Here check it out

Martin Luther

“I wonder exceedingly how it came to be imputed to me that I should reject the law of Ten Commandments…. Can anyone think that sin exists where there is no law?Whosoever abrogates the law must of necessity, abrogate sin also.” Luther’s Works (trans., Weimer ed.), Vol. 50, pp. 470-471; originally printed in his Spiritual Antichrist, pp. 71, 72.

John Calvin,

“We must not imagine that the coming of Christ has freed us from the authority of the law, for it is the eternal rule of a devout and holy life, and must, therefore, be as unchangeable as the justice of God, which it embraced, is consistent and uniform.” Commentary on the Harmony of the Gospels, Vol. 1, p. 277.

John Wesley

“‘Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil’” [Matthew 5:17] …The ritual or ceremonial law, delivered by Moses to the children of Israel, containing all the injunctions and ordinances which related to the old sacrifices and service of the temple, our Lord indeed did come to destroy, to dissolve, and utterly abolish…
But the moral law, contained in the Ten Commandments, and enforced by the prophets, He did not take away. It was not the design of His coming to revoke any part of this. This is a law which never can be broken, which stands fast as the faithful witness in heaven. The moral stands on an entirely different foundation from the ceremonial or ritual law, which was only designed for a temporary restraint upon a disobedient and stiff-necked people; whereas this was from the beginning of the world, being ‘written not on tables of stone,’ but on the hearts of all the children of men, when they came out of the hands of the Creator. And, however the letters once wrote by the finger of God are now in a great measure defaced by sin, yet can they not wholly be blotted out, while we have any consciousness of good and evil. Every part of this law must remain in force, upon all mankind, and in all ages; as not depending either on time or place, or any other circumstances liable to change, but on the nature of God and the nature of man, and their unchangeable relation to each other.” On the Sermon on the Mount, Discourse 6, Sermons on Several Occasions (1810), pp. 75-76.

Dwight L. Moody

“Now men may cavil as much as they like about other parts of the Bible, but I have never met an honest man that found fault with the Ten Commandments. Infidels may mock the Lawgiver and reject Him who has delivered us from the curse of the law, but they can’t help admitting that the commandments are right…they are for all nations, and will remain the commandments of God through the centuries… The people must be made to understand that the Ten Commandments are still binding, and that there is a penalty attached to their violation…Jesus never condemned the law and the prophets, but He did condemn those who did not obey them [see Matthew 5:17-19].” Weighed and Wanting, pp. 11, 16, 15.

Matt: 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Brother James, bro come on.... Stop it with the shenanigans, you believe and are promoting lies, you oppose Protestant teachings. But Hey, your gonna believe and post what you will, even if they are lies. 

Peace! 

Romans 10: 1-4 “Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. ”

James, do you equate keeping the Sabbath with being Ignorant? Do you say that Christ is telling us to not keep His commandments?

Argue with Paul and God.

I am arguing with you because what you read into what Paul says is wrong. Show us a clear thus says the Lord that Sabbath has been abolished and you are free to keep the Day that Antichrist instituted. 

James it is you who is arguing with God. He said that what proceeds out of His mouth does not change; Jesus said He had not come to change even the accents on the letters of the words that make up the Law. Paul also knew that the Law of God remains.

Perhaps it is more a case of following the teachings of Rome into Sunday-keeping that is the real issue?

I don't keep Sunday as a religious or holy day, that is your assumption again. I worship God every day, and speaking in tongues gives rest to the soul, which is just one of 18 benefits it gives, which you probably will never benefit from? Go ahead and be scornful and speak wickedly of me as you do. God will judge the quick and the dead. Those that oppose the spirit of God will have to answer to God why? Religiosity notwithstanding.

Isaiah 28:11-12

For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people., 12To whom he said, This is the rest wherewithye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

Ok, my bad, so you don't keep any day as sanctified and blessed by God.

Genesis 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

God sanctified the day as a memorial of creation and told us to remember,

Exodus 20:8-10 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 

This is why He tells us to remember

11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

As we see today, when the memorial of creation is forgotten then evolution can take root and God is removed.

Paul recognised that the Sabbath is eternally blessed and sanctified when he said, in Hebrews 4,

Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

There remaineth therefore a rest* to the people of God.

For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

* Sabbatismos = a keeping of the Sabbath.

Paul recognised that the seventh day had not been unblessed or unsanctified, he knew that no other day had been introduced and so the fourth commandment remains as it has since creation. For the Sabbath was made for man, not for the Jew but for all men for all time.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service