Adventist Online

Ellen White wrote:

" Whenever the people of God are growing in grace, they will be constantly obtaining a clearer understanding of His word.... But as real spiritual life declines, it has been the tendency to cease to advance in the knowledge of the truth. Men rest satisfied with the light already received from God's word, and discourage any further investigation of the Scriptures. They become conservative, and seek to avoid discussion.... Many now, as in ancient times.... will hold to Tradition, and worship they know what.... When God's people are at ease, and satisfied with their present enlightenment, we may be sure He will not favor them. ( CWE 38-41)

"Those who think that they will never have to give up a cherished view, and never have occasion to change an opinion, will be disappointed." (ibid. 37).

Even though we have always avoided Creedal Rigidity, do we live in reality as if our fundamental beliefs are a Creed?

How steeped  in TRADITION  are we, and how willing are we to let the Holy Spirit lead us to new understanding?

Views: 561

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you believe that she was a prophet now? And this term 'progressive' in progressive Adventist is a misnomer, since there is nothing progressive about this body of unbelievers. They are progressing out of the word of God and  doing the bidding of the enemy of souls. Instead of uplifting the word of God and taking their Christian experience to the next level, as the word progressive suggest, they are trampling the Word of God underfoot and placing self on the throne as the infallible interpreter of the word of God. They have eaten from the tree of good and evil and therefore have become like a god, deciding what is right and what is wrong. The spirit within them is leading them to all error.  

Jason

Your condemnation is consistent with the stereotype of a conservative traditionalist. There is no one defining term of depiction for progressive Adventist because the beliefs vary from individual to individual. I personally based my belief's on scripture and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. I think we have an obligation to live in as Christ did in performing service to others, and opening up redemption in many ways to as many people as possible. I am opposed to ministry that seeks to restrict and separate. I don't think those are Christian motives, and they are not consistent with the purpose of scripture.

Leon

That is true Leon. The church need to do all to reveal Christ and provide free and open access to Him and His saving power.

Thank u sister Lindy, this is my point! that's all they do, just talk about Jesus and they believe that they are being led by the Holy Spirit. It's a serious problem for one to believe he/she is being led by the HS when they are, in fact, being led by another spirit? 

Brother Jason, I consider myself to be progressive in thinking. The most important thing in this world is to let people know about Jesus by our words and actions. I don't just talk about Jesus, I follow Jesus and endeavor to emulate His character and His helpfulness to others, I believe in being led by the Holy Spirit of God. He speaks to me throughout the day when I am listening. He leads me to the next level of my Christian experience and into all truth. Ye shall know them by their fruits. God knows our hearts.

You well know that I believe she was a prophet. Allow me to give you the definition of 'progressive  adventism': 

Progressive Adventists are members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church who disagree with certain beliefs traditionally held by mainstream Adventism and officially by the church. They are often described as liberal Adventism by other Adventists, the term "progressive" is generally preferred as a self-description. This article describes terms such as evangelical Adventism,cultural Adventismcharismatic Adventism, and progressive Adventism and others, which are generally related but have distinctions.

Progressives typically disagree with one or more of the church's basic beliefs such as the Sabbath or "distinctive" beliefs such as the investigative judgment, the remnant, a future global Sunday-law, or a use of Ellen G. White's writings. They also tend to question some of the denomination's 28 fundamental beliefs: with debate arising on the nature of the Trinity, perpetuity of the Law of God, the Nature of Christ, the Gift of ProphecyCreation or observance of the seventh-day Sabbath."[1] It also has many similarities with the ecumenical emerging church movement which those involved in, mostly agree on is their disillusionment with the organized and institutional church.[2] Perceptions and definitions of it may differ somewhat depending on the author, although much in common is also clearly discernible. 

As you well know, the liberals have  desecrated the term 'progressive' just as the homosexuals have desecrated the terms 'gay' , and rainbow.. .these terms have as opposite meaning now.. .

I disagree with your definition of a progressive Jason. EG White was a progressive and she definitely do not fit the description that you give of a progressive. EG White was not a conservative or literalist and this was evident on the focus that she gave on Jesus and His ministry and service. Also progressives focus on humanatarian service to the poor and destitute. The same focus thatboth Jesus and EG White had.

Interesting that there is so much emphasis on the SDA church so called, instead of emphasis on the called out (Ekkelsia) of God and keeping the head, Christ, who is the head of the church, and to concentrate on what was written by the Apostle Paul in his epistles written TO THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST, but was hidden from ages and generations until revealed to Paul by revelation of Jesus Christ. If believers in Christ would concentrate on that, and be lead of the spirit in love, truth and the power of the holy spirit, well there would be a greater witness and great miracles would occur and great glory to God. But instead there is great opposition and wall of unbelief and opposition to the scriptures and to the spirit of God. The Christ in each believer is trying to get out into the world through manifestation of the holy spirit in love and compasion, but God will seldom overstep freedom of will.

Many would and do oppose the operations of the holy spirit ignorantly never having been lead by the spirit of God or at the most very little. When was the last time you heard prophesy in the SDA assemblies, meaning someone standing up and speaking directly by inspiration of the holy spirit by speaking words that flow out but with freedom of will, as the utterance is given by the spirit of God, but the person does the speaking. If such occurred, assuming all was by the spirit of God and was in accordance with scripture and freedom of will, without loss of consciousness, how many of you would consider it from God, how many of you would say its from the occult?

How many of you would and do oppose the Apostle Paul as he spoke in tongues and operated all nine manifestations of the holy spirit and told us sacred secrets which many ignore to this very day? Was he not an apostle?

There is no way that a prophet cannot be a progressive.  EG White definitely introduced a new thinking and mindset into the church. It was so progressive her writings which is why we are only having a fuller understanding and appreciation of it in the 21st century.

Perhaps the problem is twofold?
Firstly that "progressive" and "traditional" are both terms that have current and specific meanings to them: they are used to refer to liberal and conservative SDAs.
The second problem that I see on a regular basis is posters telling other posters what they think feel or believe. The level of discussion has dropped to the point where it is rarely anything other than ad hominem attacks and dragging grudges from one thread to another. All of this is against the rules and lowers the standard of what has been the best SDA forum on the 'net.

I agree John

Too many people are too interested in being right, and less interested in building bridges and following the way. Paul who declared he was all things to all people, is not a concept that many persons on this blog are familiar with. In my own experience the traditionalist/historic Adventist are the furthest from this concept.

Leon

I really thought this would be such a happy and hopeful post. To me it says we are not locked in tradition, but are given the ability to grow in understanding and love. To allow the Holy Spirit to direct and lead us. Over and over our founders have told us we don't have all the truth. In AA there is a statement that says, " We don't expect perfection, but progress".

The peace that comes by a close relationship with Christ exceeds everything else. We criticize the traditions of other churches, then set back and follow our own traditions without a thought.

Being right isn't the important thing, doing what you believe is right is!

Keith

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by