Adventist Online

Ellen White wrote:

" Whenever the people of God are growing in grace, they will be constantly obtaining a clearer understanding of His word.... But as real spiritual life declines, it has been the tendency to cease to advance in the knowledge of the truth. Men rest satisfied with the light already received from God's word, and discourage any further investigation of the Scriptures. They become conservative, and seek to avoid discussion.... Many now, as in ancient times.... will hold to Tradition, and worship they know what.... When God's people are at ease, and satisfied with their present enlightenment, we may be sure He will not favor them. ( CWE 38-41)

"Those who think that they will never have to give up a cherished view, and never have occasion to change an opinion, will be disappointed." (ibid. 37).

Even though we have always avoided Creedal Rigidity, do we live in reality as if our fundamental beliefs are a Creed?

How steeped  in TRADITION  are we, and how willing are we to let the Holy Spirit lead us to new understanding?

Views: 562

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Keith said: 

Being right isn't the important thing, doing what you believe is right is!

Did you really mean this Keith because...?

Yes, don't try to make something  out of it that's not there. Leon said people are too interested in being right, and less interested in building bridges. maybe I should have said, proving to others that you are right is not as important as knowing what you believe and doing it.

Actually you knew exactly what I meant didn't you?

why don't we just let this be a happy hopeful site, lets forget trying to prove who is superior and invite to Lord to be a part of our discussion.

Above Ellen White said," they become conservative, and seek to avoid discussion".

So Leon is right in dumping EG Whites writing and some fundamental pillars from his ways? 

Jason is right in holding on to the Traditional pillars of SDA teachings? 

To me they can not both be right, can they? 

Keith how can you even think you can have a happy discussion with such a divisive subject? What was that? "seek to avoid discussion" do not open this kind of Threads may be the best. 

As the saying Goes you can not make a silk purse out of a sows ear. 

Ian

I am not dumping anything that is good. If Ellen White speaks the truth then I honor it. If she speaks in error than I give wisdom to the greater light. To think that she was without error is placing her in a position that is unhealthy and hinders faith.  I am very concerned about Christians who fail to seek a personal relationship with Christ because they already have one with Ellen White. In her they seem to believe that they have all of the answers; allowing themselves the privilege of superiority. I am an advocate of humbly accepting Christ and open displays of love and service which reflect Christ character.

Leon

Well Brother Leon I am happy that you are feeling you are the one in the truth. That you are able to judge the SOP writings as false and not god for your soul. You must be feeling very blessed being such a superior person. 

Hello Ian

I am not the one with the truth. Christ is the way the light and truth. If you think that Ellen White is the truth then you are in error. I am not superior to anyone, equal to all including you. I am humbly at the feet of Christ my redeemer.

Leon

Leon 

The SOP was given by Christ to his servant who was also at the feet of Jesus. 

Many who have backslidden from the truth assign as a reason for their course that they do not have faith in the Testimonies. The question now is: Will they yield their idol which God condemns, or will they continue in their wrong course of indulgence and reject the light God has given them reproving the very things in which they delight? The question to be settled with them is: Shall I deny myself and receive as of God the Testimonies which reprove my sins, or shall I reject the Testimonies because they reprove my sins?123{CCh 95.1}

Ian

The according to scripture the SOP is the testimony of Christ (Revelation 19:10) and it is the truth. Ellen White's writings have both truth and error. Calling her work the SOP and the truth places her on the same level as Christ. Ellen White was wrong to require faith in her work; especially the Testimonies.  She should have redirected Christians to scripture and emphasize the necessity of being informed by the Holy Spirit.

Leon

Leon 

Your hatred for her writings has given you a  grievous and slanted opinion. 

I don't think Leon has a hatred for her writings.  He's just doing what I think everyone should do.   Be willing to search for the answers/clarity from a higher source.  One of the biggest weakness I feel a lot of SDA share is that they tend to quote and follow EGW words rigidly out of blind faith more than they do God or the Bible.  I can't speak for EGW since she's dead but I'd think even she would speak against that.  

I hear some people talk and react to anything said about her like they have a higher reverence for her than God.  For me that's eerily similar to how some extremist Muslims treat Muhammad and some over the top Catholics view the Pope, Mary and the Apostles.

No worries Rabbit 

I pray God will bless you in your search for the truth. 

EGW does not need to be defended from anyone who do not like her writings. Clearly EGW has a word for you:

When you find men questioning the testimonies, finding fault with them, and seeking to draw away the people from their influence, be assured that God is not at work through them. It is another spirit. Doubt and unbelief are cherished by those who do not walk circumspectly. They have a painful consciousness that their life will not abide the test of the Spirit of God, whether speaking through His Word or through the testimonies of His Spirit that would bring them to His Word. Instead of beginning with their own hearts, and coming into harmony with the pure principles of the gospel, they find fault, and condemn the very means that God has chosen to fit up a people to stand in the day of the Lord.{1SM 45.1}

"No worries Rabbit 

I pray God will bless you in your search for the truth.
EGW does not need to be defended from anyone who do not like her writings. Clearly EGW has a word for you:"

Now thats hilarious...

Rabbit points something out all to common today in SDA Church especially in the american influence sphere and you go ahead proving his point exactly right by quoting yet once more EGW without even thinking about what he said.

Today in SDA Church and especially here on AO quotes from EGW have higher authority than everything else. If you do not see that as a problem fine with me but it is still very very strange and against her own teachings. (And the most funniest part of all that is those who hold her in such high authority usually are the same which argue against WO because women should not hold authority... oh irony..)

Regards

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by