Adventist Online

“Not very many people have ever been argued into Christianity. Often our arguments do more harm than good. The only way to convince people of the supremacy of Christ is to confront them with Christ. On the whole, it is true to say that it is not argumentative and philosophical preaching and teaching which have won men and women for Christ; it is the presentation of the story of the cross.”  - William Barclay. “The Gospel of John, Volume One.

I realize we are all drawn to hot-button issues.  Me too.  But do we often place more emphasis on these issues than on preaching "Christ and Him crucified"?  It seems so if we look at the hot topics on this forum.

Does this reflect what we are actually focusing on in our lives?

Can we expose more sinners to the beauty of our Savior using Adventist Online?  Or is this just a place for internal bickering over our pet issues?

Views: 331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i love this!

i hope this thread has life here

ty Clark P.

the love of GOD expressed on the CROSS is to be in our conduct

in our atitude

in our hearts and in our posts to each other

God forgive all of us is we ever voided HIS TESTIMONY with our egos and the self satisfaction of being right at the expense of people who are part of this AO site!

we can search the scriptures and find what we want to bring out what we need to disagree

and they TESTIFY of JESUS!

and we miss that

!!!

THANK YOU CLARK. I love this thread.  People's arguments over their "pet" issues or interpretations of things does not look like The Kingdom of God. Threads that talk about God's love and his greatness die and the trivial threads get lots of action and bickering. Why is that? People sit on their fear and anger, then feed it. It's more important to be right because that is where their security is, feeling secure in rightness. Our security should be in the love of Jesus always. If Jesus came to AO would he be arguing about clothes, accessories, women's ordination, gays, weapons, food, signs, church doctrine? No! He would think he fell into a Pharisees club. All these arguments are distractions, it takes away from who Jesus is and wants us to be and we all fall into the trap. Let's show everyone what Jesus really looks like, his unsurpassed, unwavering love for every human on earth. Praise God how he loves us, even when we are being awful he loves us....

Clark,what an inspiring post! We so much needed that!   Thank You! For all of us here at AO, if we can only practice what we preach,how much better the world would be. Respecting each and everyone's idea,and showing support and understanding to one another. Not pushing our own ideas or belief, but in unity with God's word. Sharing the truth with the "thus says the Lord"!  That's' living a Christ-like life. Thanks for bringing awareness to us, as brothers and sisters and that we may reflect Jesus' character in our life thru the way we treat one another.

God Bless!

I couldn't agree more, Clark P. I once had a friend who was vehemently opposed to EGW and despite many arguments, presentations and exchanges, never flinched. In fact, it seems the person hardened opposition of SoP and Christianity in general. Proves Barclay right, doesn't it? BTW, EGW make a similar statement in one of her writings.

It is a very nice work to win souls to Christ. It is the greatest work ever given to mortal man, to deal with human minds. If you find access to the hearts of men bearing almost every stamp of character, you must heed the injunction of the apostle to be courteous. Love will do that which argument will fail to accomplish. Love is power. The workers need to bring the love of Jesus into their labors. Those who are young are much more easily impressed than those who have reached mature age; and if young men and women understood their capabilities, if the grace of Christ ruled in their hearts, they might be a power for good in the hand of the Lord.{Gospel Workers 1892, Page 395}

Often, as you seek to present the truth, opposition will be aroused; but if you seek to meet the opposition with argument, you will only multiply it, and that you cannot afford to do. Hold to the affirmative. Angels of God are watching you, and they understand how to impress those whose opposition you refuse to meet with argument. Dwell not on the negative points of questions that arise, but gather to your minds affirmative truths, and fasten them there by much earnest prayer and heart-consecration.—Testimonies for the Church 9:147, 148.

I must say though that the reason debates on AO seem to take the route of internal bickering is because the site is principally for Adventists, rather than a preaching tool for non-Adventists. I suspect that there are many non-Adventist readers on the site, but they are in the minority. Since most members are of one faith, the tendency is to bring out the finer details of our agreements and disagreements. I stand to be corrected, but it's possible that if we were to gather for an evangelistic rally somewhere, we would stand together (or at least appear to do so) for soul-winning purposes.

Hey Dan, lots of non Adventist visit this site. Clark even made a brilliant thread about it here. [link added]  What do you think they are witnessing when they come here? Even if only Adventist came here, people should not be behaving badly, and arguing over unimportant issues. In fact because we are Adventist we should be holding to a higher standard that looks like The Kingdom. Lots of Adventist have left because of the ungodly conduct here, it's repelling Adventist or not. Sometimes it looks like there were a bunch of kindergarteners thrown into a room with one toy. It's okay if people see things differently, just respect it. We are all different and contribute different ideas, that is the beauty in God's design that is in us, to think, challenge ideas, learn from each other, respectfully. None of us know it all or have everything right, we have to keep learning and reading and listening. God Bless...

I appreciate your take on it, Dan. Where do we have to go to discuss the finer points of our beliefs? Where do we go to be able to be open if not an SDA site. Yes, there are non SDA folks, but this is a site for SDA people to be ABLE to have honest discourse about OUR concerns and issues. These are hot button, but some of them are pretty important topics that need resolution. No, we wont resolve anything here, except in our own minds. But isnt that important, too? Sorry if nonbelievers see it, but we need to talk openly. This is a forum for discussion.

I TOTALLY get Clark's point and dont disagree. But, I guess we need to keep learning more about discussing as Jesus would. I dont think He would be silent on great matters of apostasy. But, if I'm honest, I dont think He'd be on any website, but out in public, face to face, as He did.

Thanks Debbie. Good to see you online. Have a Happy Sabbath!

We certainly are not saying that you cannot discuss the finer points of our beliefs.  Anyone can do that here.  It's just the manner in which we do it.  Many, many Adventists have left because of the manner in which our beliefs are discussed.  How would a non-believer exploring our church ever be attracted to what they see here?  There is no way they want to sign up for what we often represent here.

The basis quotes for our Rules are really remarkable counsel for how all discussions should take place, no matter the topic.

That's true.  It is a fearful message.  Nothing to argue about:

Rev. 18:4  Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Rev. 18:24    in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth.  ...

Matt.  23:37    O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, [thou] that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee,

Acts  2:40  Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

When Jesus comes, you don't want to be found in the company of those who have murdered God's prophets and saints, even if they're preaching the smoothest and most sentimental sermons you've ever heard.

That's true.  It is a fearful message.  Nothing to argue about:

Rev. 18:4  Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Rev. 18:24    in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth.  ...

Matt.  23:37    O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, [thou] that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee,

Acts  2:40  Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

When Jesus comes, you don't want to be found in the company of those who have murdered God's prophets and saints, even if they're preaching the smoothest and most sentimental sermons you've ever heard.

lol

GBU RUSH!

if the people turn away from  the 3 angels message

let it be cause of the message

not cause of evil/unkind/condescending/rude  way it was presented!

keep me in prayer

and i will keep u in prayer

:)

I'm evil, unkind, condescending, and rude, huh?  Well, I sure appreciate your professional opinion.

lol

GBU RUSH!

if the people turn away from  the 3 angels message

let it be cause of the message

not cause of evil/unkind/condescending/rude  way it was presented!

keep me in prayer

and i will keep u in prayer

Reply by rush4hire 3 hours ago

I'm evil, unkind, condescending, and rude, huh?  Well, I sure appreciate your professional opinion.

i was reiterating  Clarks point on the OT

i am truly mean it when i say I am praying for you

i do always appreciate you showing who you are here

and your image of God

so we can always address it

your bringing it into the light

and i am forever grateful

in our sharing

GBU

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?