speaking the truth, nothing will stand in the way of our

accepting it. May the Spirit of the Lord be with you as

you follow through to the end of this letter. Thank you

for your attention. God bless!

sky

Battle Creek, Mich., Jan. 26, 1906

A.G. Daniells,
Takoma Park Station, Washington, D.C.

Dear Brother:--Your letter of the 17th in answer to mine of the 6th goes so far afield from anything expected or, as I think, called for by my letter, that I am disposed to follow you there, and do all that I can to take away all ground for your having any perplexity about me or my course. Indeed, if you had remembered things that at the beginning I said to you, you need not to have been perplexed at all concerning me, if you expected me to be consistent at all.

First as to the General Conference matters, and my relations to the Committee. Before the General Conference of 1897, at College View, the conditions were such that in that Conference things came to a deadlock. By the Committee and presidents in council, I, in my absence was appointed to read the Testimonies to find the way out. God did lead us out gloriously. A change was made: Brother Irwin being elected president. And I was made a member of the Committee.

It was not very long, however, before the same influences that had produced the situation at College View, were again at work. I saw it plainly enough to satisfy me, and by the time of the General Conference of 1899, at South Lancaster, things were in a bad shape again in some respects--though not near so far along as at College View. In the South Lancaster Conference one day, all unexpectedly, and unintentionally on the part of anybody in the Conference, the power of God came in in a special manner, bringing the whole Conference to its knees at once, and working a great deliverance again.  

Brother Irwin stated openly in the Conference that he had "been a coward." The whole matter can be read in the Bulletin of that Conference for that day. On another day in that Conference, the power of God came in specially and carried the deliverance further.

By action of that Conference, I was continued on the Committee. It was not long before the same old influences were at work; and in about a year they had got such a hold again, that, rather than be compromised, I resigned from the Committee.

Then came the General Conference of 1901, in Battle Creek. According to the arrangements I was to report the proceedings of the Conference: and according to the arrangements, Brother Prescott and Brother Waggoner were not expecting, and evidently were not expected, to have even that much to do. But before the Conference actually assembled in session there occurred that meeting in the Library Room of the College Building, in which Sister White spoke on General Conference matters and organization, declaring that there must be "an entire new organization, and to have a Committee that shall take in not merely half a dozen that is to be a ruling and controlling power, but it is to have representatives of those that are placed in responsibility in our educational interests, in our sanitariums, etc., that there should be a renovation without any delay. To have this Conference pass on and close up as the Conferences have done with the same manipulating, with the very same tone, and the same order--God forbid! God forbid, brethren... And until this shall come we might just as well close up the Conference today as any other day. . . This thing has been continued and renewed for the last fifteen years or more, (1901 minus 15 years takes us back to 1886), and God calls for a change."

To be continued

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with the EGW quote.  And no, that is not my premise.  I am saying, correctly, that you are leaving out all quotes about the church that are positive.  Your quote mentions promises and warnings.  Yet you leave out all the promises and joy God finds in His church.  That is a biased and one-sided representation.

Did you not read my example?  Do you want anyone to tell the one-sided story of Sky (or Clark)?  It would be horrific!  Can't you see how that does not represent the whole truth?  THAT is what you are doing.  Telling a story with all the warnings and none of the promises.

I have the "Steps to Christ" book on my lap right now and at the

bottom of page 35 I read these words:

"All His promises, His warnings, are but the breathing of unutterable love." p.35 last two sentences bottom of page.

Can anyone please check this statement from your personal copy. May be

John has a newer copy.

sky

Steps To Christ, p.35 says,

"Man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart"--the human heart, with its conflicting emotions of joy and sorrow; the wandering, wayward heart, which is the abode of so much impurity and deceit. 1 Samuel 16:7. He knows its motives, its very intents and purposes. Go to Him with your soul all stained as it is. Like the psalmist, throw its chambers open to the all-seeing eye, exclaiming, "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know

my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139: 23, 24.

Many accept an intellectual religion, a form of godliness, when the heart is not cleansed. Let it be your prayer, "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me." Psalm 51:10. Deal truly with your own soul. Be as earnest, as persistent, as you would be if your mortal life were at stake. This is a matter to be settled between God and your own soul, settled for eternity. A supposed hope, and nothing more, will prove your ruin.

Study God's word prayerfully. That word presents before you, in the law of God and the life of Christ, the great principles of holiness, without which "no man shall see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14. It convinces of sin; it plainly reveals the way of salvation. Give heed to it as the voice of God speaking to your soul.

As you see the enormity of sin, as you see yourself as you really are, do not give up to despair. It was sinners that Christ came to save. We have not to reconcile God to us, but--O wondrous love!--God in Christ is "reconciling the world unto Himself." 2 Corinthians 5:19. He is wooing by His tender love the hearts of His erring children. No earthly parent could be as patient with the faults and mistakes of his children, as is God with those He seeks to save. No one could plead more tenderly with the transgressor. No human lips ever poured out more tender entreaties to the wanderer than does He. All His promises, His warnings, are but the breathing of unutterable love.

When Satan comes to tell you that you are a

great sinner, look up to your Redeemer and talk of His merits. That which will help you is to look to His light. Acknowledge your sin, but tell the enemy that "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners" and that you may be saved by His matchless love. 1 Timothy 1:15. Jesus asked Simon a question in regard to two debtors. One owed his lord a small sum, and the other owed him a very large sum; but he forgave them both, and Christ asked Simon which debtor would love his lord most. Simon answered, "He to whom he forgave most." Luke 7:43.

We have been great sinners, but Christ died that we might be forgiven. The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf. Those to whom He has forgiven most will love Him most, and will stand nearest to His throne to praise Him for His great love and infinite sacrifice. It is when we most fully comprehend the love of God that we best realize the sinfulness of sin. When we see the length of the chain that was let down for us, when we understand something of the infinite sacrifice that Christ has made in our behalf, the heart is melted with tenderness and contrition.

there it is, at the bottom of page 35, just like I said.

sky

ok Bredren.

I read MOST of this

What is the point?

From what I can understand, I have an experience with the "leadership" of my church, and conference.

I have been appointed Head Deacon one year and then the next year, they appointed me assistant deacon.

Why....we are a small church and the pastor decided to just put peoples names in slots to fill the slots.

Before this pastor came to our church..7 years ago...I was allowed to speak, give the message at the Divine hour...

But since the pastor was studying to become a pastor, at one of our "GREAT SCHOOLS", he would bring in STUFF that he had learned from the teacher.  And when it was presented, I would ask him,, sometimes, where he got that from.

For instance, one day..from our Sabbath School quarterly,  it was talking about Daniel.

The then "studying pastor" pastor made a comment that Daniel ate meat.  Then he pointed us to chapter 10 of Daniel where it said Daniel ate meat.

I challenge him and he got so angry that he told the Head Elder not to let me speak from the pulpit anymore.

So be it.

As far as I am concerned, they can do what they want to do to satify themselves.....but in the meantime, I WILL SERVE THE LORD.

All that made me do was SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES even more to be approve of God and not man.

David says in Psalms 118:6   The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me? 
  118:7   The LORD taketh my part with them that help me: therefore shall I see my desire upon them that hate me. 
  118:8   It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. 
  118:9   It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.

The work of God should be carried forward by men who have a daily, living experience in the religion of Christ.

None of us are beyond the power of temptation.

All who are connected with our institutions, our conferences, and our missionary enterprises, may ever have the assurance that they have a powerful foe, whose constant aim is to separate them from Christ, their strength. The more responsible the position they occupy, the more fierce will be Satan's attacks; for he knows that if he can move them to take an objectionable course, others will follow their example.

But those who are continually learning in the school of Christ, will be able to pursue the even tenor of their way, and Satan's efforts to throw them off their balance will be signally defeated.

If we are self-confident, or self-righteous, we shall be left to fall under the power of temptation; but if we look to Jesus and trust in Him, we call to our aid, a power that has conquered the foe on the field of battle, and with every temptation, He will make a way of escape. {5T 425.4}

Satan makes every effort to lead people away from God; and he is successful in his purpose when the religious life is drowned in business cares, when he can so absorb their minds in business, that they will not take time to read their Bibles, to pray in secret, and to keep the offering of praise and thanksgiving burning on the altar of sacrifice morning and evening.

That statement goes for every leader of the church conferences also.

.... when God is not thought of and reverenced, when He is not chosen as their counselor and their strong tower of defense, how soon secular thoughts and wicked unbelief come in, and vain confidence and philosophy take the place of humble, trusting faith.

Often temptations are cherished as the voice of the True Shepherd because men have separated themselves from Jesus.

They cannot be safe a moment unless right principles are cherished in the heart and carried into every business transaction.  {5T 426.1}

Whatever position in life we may occupy, whatever our business, (whatever position we hold in the church) we must be humble enough to feel our need of help;

we must lean implicitly on the teachings of God's word, acknowledge His providence in all things, and be faithful in pouring out our souls in prayer.

Lean to your own understanding, dear brethren, as you make your way through the world, and you will reap sorrow and disappointment. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and He will guide your steps in wisdom, and your interests will be safe for this world and for the next.

You need light and knowledge.

You will take counsel either of God or your own heart;

you will walk in the sparks of your own kindling, or will gather to yourself, divine light from the Sun of Righteousness.  {5T 427.2}

Do not act from motives of policy. The great danger of our businessmen, (our church leaders) and those in responsible positions, is that they will be turned from Christ to secure some help aside from Him.

Peter would not have been left to show such weakness and folly, had he not sought by the use of policy, to avoid reproach and scorn, persecution and abuse. His highest hopes centered in Christ;

but when he saw Him in humiliation, unbelief came in and was entertained. He fell under the power
of temptation, and, instead of showing his fidelity in a crisis, he wickedly denied his Lord.  {5T 427.3}

God forbid Brothers

I read most of this ... but what is your point and what does it have to do with the OP ?

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service