Adventist Online

Shoulds skits or drama pieces  be used during AY sessions and if yes what limits or guidelines should be followed so as to not let become entertainmet rather than something spiritually uplifting and edifying.?

Views: 3969

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rush, in this case the author is still alive and available for an explanation. I used "selective reception" as a euphemism for "ignorant". Why? Because you took one word from my whole post - the word "responsibility" - and turned it upside down.

Maybe a situation of such selective reception is one where God's messengers do use drama, exaggeration and sometimes even offensive depictions to get His words across. Such a time was the time of the major and minor prophets. On the other side, in a time of revival which always is a time of big religious emotion (as the early Adventist church was in) I guess the opposite is necessary - moderating the use of emotion and dramatization. Perhaps this is why Ellen White spoke out against it.

Herein lies the rub.  Is then the dramaticized bible unacceptable, where you listen to the bible and various characters are spoken by different actors to bring life and attention to scripture?  Or how about the Visual Bible, where you see actors playing out the various parts, but the scripture is put forward exactly and you can watch the counter in the corner of chapter and verse?  Would that also be unacceptable?

It depends.  It can be so goofy, it's distracting.  I like the way Alexander Scourby does it, though.  He kind of changes his voice, for different characters.  But, he is very sincere, and earnest.

I saw a movie, where the dialogue, and narration, where reading the Bible, word for word.  It was called "The book of Mark", or one of the Gospels.  We see Jesus as a jovial character, always joking around, and smiling.  One time, he dumped out his whole bag of water on Peter, playfully.  That's the director putting his own spin on the characters.  I found it unsettling, and hard to watch.

Isaiah said Jesus was "a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief".  EGW said jovial pastors cause more harm than 10 sincere pastors can fix.  She also said Jesus was never known to laugh, though I can't find that one, now.

Thank you.  I used the word "Jesus", instead of "Christ".  That's why I couldn't find it.

Ironic, how you paint her as a stalwart dowager queen.  However, her true personality was a happy, joyful one.  She took a great deal of pleasure in visiting her neighbors and was known for her giving, pleasant, and happy nature.  Dour is not a hallmark of holiness.

The concept of stern figures is very Catholic, which ironically is very pagan and borrowed heavily from Roman paganism. 

Sorrow from having the weight of the world on your shoulders is not the same as sternness.  Heavy hangs the head that wears the crown.  This is normal, and everyone understands this.

Indeed, but, I dare say, not jovial.  There's a difference.

Heavy hangs the head that wears the crown is is referencing the British crown.  If Christ and Mrs. White were melancholy, mournful figures, who would be attracted to their message?  Clearly, people were.  If you do this:

But not this:

It doesn't have to be British.  Jesus wasn't British, but it says He was a man of sorrows.

Are you just blatantly disagreeing with what Ellen White said?  That's what British people do.

Would you admonish Solomon, as well?

Ecc.  7:2    [It is] better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting: for that [is] the end of all men; and the living will lay [it] to his heart.  
 7:3    Sorrow [is] better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better.  
 7:4    The heart of the wise [is] in the house of mourning; but the heart of fools [is] in the house of mirth.  
 7:5    [It is] better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of fools.

This is the Word of  God.  Receive it by faith, doubting nothing.

He had sorrows.  She had sorrows.  We have all had sorrows.  But, are we always mournful and sorrowful every moment of every day outwardly?  I really don't see Yashua moping around the earth.  He was calling people to Him.  In fact He spoke out against outward moping.

Matthew 6:16-18,“When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

A melancholy Christ is a Catholic invention.

Also, what does the Proverbs tell us?

Proverbs 17:22, "A merry heart does good, like medicine,
But a broken spirit dries the bones."

Well, there must be a difference between "moping", and what these prophets where talking about.  Good points, though.

I don't think Rush was painting her the way you describe. One can be happy and joyful without being full of jesting and cutting up. Some think that joyful is being silly.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service