Adventist Online

Shoulds skits or drama pieces  be used during AY sessions and if yes what limits or guidelines should be followed so as to not let become entertainmet rather than something spiritually uplifting and edifying.?

Views: 3969

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who said she was silly and making off colored jokes?  I didn't.  I said she was a joyful woman of mirth who loved those around her.  Something that should be emulated I would think.

You seem to equate joy with jokes. Christ and EGW did not tell jokes. 

If you ready what I wrote, I didn't say that either.  I said they were not the stern, dour, or melancholy.  That concept is derived from Catholicism who took that from paganism.  Ellen White was a happy person.  Yet, you balk at this idea.

Joy and happiness are not always appropriate:

Ecc.  2:2    I said of laughter, [It is] mad: and of mirth, What doeth it

Luke  6:25   ...Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.  

James  4:8    ...Cleanse [your] hands, [ye] sinners; and purify [your] hearts, [ye] double minded.  
 4:9    Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and [your] joy to heaviness.  
 4:10    Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up. 

Ecc.  7:3    Sorrow [is] better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better.  
 7:4    The heart of the wise [is] in the house of mourning; but the heart of fools [is] in the house of mirth.  
 7:5    [It is] better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of fools.  
 7:6    For as the crackling of thorns under a pot, so [is] the laughter of the fool: this also [is] vanity.  

Is.  53:3    He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief:

Rev.  3:19    As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.  

Christianity isn't a religion of self-flagulation, and dour depression.  That is very much a Catholic concept.  Do you mourn daily that you have been rescued from sin and death by the blood sacrifice of Jesus?  Do you weep in lament that you have been adopted as child of the very King of Creation?  Do you sigh in dispair that is He coming again to have to live forever with Him in glory?

"

Many, walking along the path of life, dwell upon their mistakes and failures and disappointments, and their hearts are filled with grief and discouragement. While I was in Europe, a sister who had been doing this, and who was in deep distress, wrote to me, asking for some word of encouragement. The night after I had read her letter I dreamed that I was in a garden, and one who seemed to be the owner of

the garden was conducting me through its paths. I was gathering the flowers and enjoying their fragrance, when this sister, who had been walking by my side, called my attention to some unsightly briers that were impeding her way. There she was mourning and grieving. She was not walking in the pathway, following the guide, but was walking among the briers and thorns. "Oh," she mourned, "is it not a pity that this beautiful garden is spoiled with thorns?" Then the guide said, "Let the thorns alone, for they will only wound you. Gather the roses, the lilies, and the pinks."

Steps to Christ.

Re-read it again, brother, it speaks nothing of a mournful experience with our Savior.

Rather his character of love is revealed.

You're talking about a different kind of thing. Dwelling on failure, giving into discouragement, complaining about ugly briars, when you could be picking roses, etc.  That's not what these verses are talking about, but you'll have to reconcile with them, because they are the Word of God.

A merry heart does good like a medicine, but sorrow is also like a medicine.  It depends on the occasion.

People can be imbalanced, either way.  I hate when people tell me to smile.  That really puts me on the spot.  I have a lot of things on my mind.  If you see someone carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders, the best thing you can do is share their burdens, and not tell them they are wrong for carrying such burdens.  That's just inappropriate.

I have no problem counting my blessings.  I do it all the time.  I'm very happy just to be alive, and especially to know the Truth, to develop my ability to share the Truth with those who are under the impossibly strong delusions of this age.

But, I shun inordinate amounts of hype an enthusiasm.  Like Leo Schreven, for instance.  We need more meekness and fear, (1 Peter 3:15).

You can't just tell people they are wrong if they won't jump around and dance at a Christian rock concert, or are always amused, and happy, or if they can't share your enthusiasm.  It would be nice if things were so simple, but they're not.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service