Adventist Online

Rob

Since the discussion on the other thread had gotten so far off of that thread, I am moving the comments over to this thread.  I'll copy and past the last two rounds of our discussion and we can move on from there.  OK?

Ray

Views: 7140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Elijah the feast keepers are very sneaky.

Yes, Jason, it seems to me that they want to keep the day holy without the offerings and ordinances God Himself prescribed, that to me seems to be futile. My question is why do you need to do that if it is still a shadow of things that has already been substantiated in the cross.   

Peace

Ian wrote: "Yes, Jason, it seems to me that they want to keep the day holy without the offerings and ordinances God Himself prescribed, that to me seems to be futile. My question is why do you need to do that if it is still a shadow of things that has already been substantiated in the cross. "

Just like Luke, Paul and his converts did brother Ian, the Holy days remains, and we do have a offering and sacrifice, His name is Jesus. Their observing the Holy days with the NT ordinances Jesus gave. By their actions they are showing how it's done. Jesus did away with the ceremonies done in the OT, and implemented His ceremonies, but the Holy days remained. It's not hard to understand my brother.

EGW: "At Philippi Paul tarried to keep the Passover. Only Luke remained with him, the other members of the company passing on to Troas to await him there. The Philippians were the most loving and truehearted of the apostle’s converts, and during the eight days of the feast he enjoyed peaceful and happy communion with them." AA p.390

Nothing sneaky about the facts brothers...

Bless! :)

Thanks for your reply Reasoning I note you quote this passage in AA 390. Tell me how you see this as a command. Is this the only quote you have for keeping the feast days? Do you have any Bible quotes from the New Testament? I would appreciate one that Jesus gave in particular.  

Peace

Ian wrote: "Thanks for your reply Reasoning I note you quote this passage in AA 390. Tell me how you see this as a command. Is this the only quote you have for keeping the feast days? Do you have any Bible quotes from the New Testament? I would appreciate one that Jesus gave in particular. "

I'm showing you examples brother Ian, you can't say the annual Holy Days are done away with and we see Luke and Paul with his converts observing eight days of the Passover.. It's some 20 years after the Cross.

They knew what to do and not to do...

"In this ordinance, Christ discharged His disciples from the cares and burdens of the ancient Jewish obligations in rites and ceremonies. These no longer possessed any virtue; for type was meeting antitype in Himself, the authority and foundation of all Jewish ordinances that pointed to Him as the great and only efficacious offering for the sins of the world....{RH, 06-14-98 para. 15}{5BC 1139.5}

But they still observed GOD'S annual Holy days.

Blessings!

Thanks for your reply Reasoning Let me see if I understand you correctly. In that, you say we need to keep the day holy but you do not tell us how and what we should do this day? 

I have some of my family that are JW and I have been to their yearly meeting that they keep on the 14th of Nisan as God prescribed. What they are doing is passing around the bread and wine but none does partake because to their belief they only think that those who are among the 144000 are worthy to partake. 

Clearly, we can not offer a lamb because we do not have the Temple anyway. What did God do on the day, Jesus gave his life on the cross? God tear the curtain that separated the holy from the most holy . What do we understand by this:

When the loud cry, “It is finished,” came from the lips of Christ, the priests were officiating in the temple. It was the hour of the evening sacrifice. The lamb representing Christ had been brought to be slain. Clothed in his significant and beautiful dress, the priest stood with lifted knife, as did Abraham when he was about to slay his son. With intense interest the people were looking on. But the earth trembles and quakes; for the Lord Himself draws near. With a rending noise the inner veil of the temple is torn from top to bottom by an unseen hand, throwing open to the gaze of the multitude a place once filled with the presence of God. In this place the Shekinah had dwelt. Here God had manifested His glory above the mercy seat. No one but the high priest ever lifted the veil separating this apartment from the rest of the temple. He entered in once a year to make an atonement for the sins of the people. But lo, this veil is rent in twain. The most holy place of the earthly sanctuary is no longer sacred. {DA 756.5}

All is terror and confusion. The priest is about to slay the victim; but the knife drops from his nerveless hand, and the lamb escapes. Type has met antitype in the death of God’s Son. The great sacrifice has been made. The way into the holiest is laid open. A new and living way is prepared for all. No longer need sinful, sorrowing humanity await the coming of the high priest. Henceforth the Saviour was to officiate as priest and advocate in the heaven of heavens. It was as if a living voice had spoken to the worshipers: There is now an end to all sacrifices and offerings for sin. The Son of God is come according to His word, “Lo, I come (in the volume of the Book it is written of Me,) to do Thy will, O God.” “By His own blood” He entereth “in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.” Hebrews 10:79:12{DA 757.1}

What I understand by this is that the old economy of laying of lambs was brought to an end Type had met antitype.

Jesus himself said that

Mat 26:27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
Mat 26:29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

Here in Corr. it has no day set for the ordinance what Jesus says is as often ye do it. To me, this says the old covenant is at an end and a new one was instituted, with no day set to keep it as opposed to the old covenant where it was prescribed to be on the 14th of Nissan 

Peace

Ian wrote: "Thanks for your reply Reasoning Let me see if I understand you correctly. In that, you say we need to keep the day holy but you do not tell us how and what we should do this day?
I have some of my family that are JW and I have been to their yearly meeting that they keep on the 14th of Nisan as God prescribed. What they are doing is passing around the bread and wine but none does partake because to their belief they only think that those who are among the 144000 are worthy to partake. "
--------------

Thank you brother Ian... Yes, the JW's, despite them having some doctrines wrong they are good people, they do have it right on the day to have communion, the 14th day of the first month. However after self examination of oneself, then we should partake of the eating of the bread and drinking of the wine. The other days are Holy convocations, in other words we have Church services.

Ian wrote: "Clearly, we can not offer a lamb because we do not have the Temple anyway. What did God do on the day, Jesus gave his life on the cross? God tear the curtain that separated the holy from the most holy . What do we understand by this:"

The meaning of the tearing of the curtain in the temple, shows that the priestly temple duties had no more use because of Jesus. But it didn't do away with the annual Holy days of GOD, and how do we know?

EGW: "At Philippi Paul tarried to keep the Passover. Only Luke remained with him, the other members of the company passing on to Troas to await him there. The Philippians were the most loving and truehearted of the apostle’s converts, and during the eight days of the feast he enjoyed peaceful and happy communion with them." AA p.390

No temple in Jerusalem, no animal sacrifices, just the annual Holy days of GOD being observed, of course observing the NT ceremonies that Jesus instituted. Now, the communion service can be observed more than one time a year, more than the 14th day of the first month. But that doesn't mean we kick GOD'S Holy set days to the curb.

Blessings!
Peace

Brother Ian, here's the proof communion can be observed more than yearly.

EGW : "The Lord’s Supper is not to be observed only occasionally or yearly—

"The salvation of men depends upon a continual application to their hearts of the cleansing blood of Christ. Therefore, the Lord’s Supper was not to be observed only occasionally or yearly, but more frequently than the annual passover. This solemn ordinance commemorates a far greater event than the deliverance of the children of Israel from Egypt. That deliverance was typical of the great atonement which Christ made by the sacrifice of His own life for the final deliverance of His people."—The S.D.A. Bible Commentary 6:1090. – {PaM 170.1}

Not "only" yearly brother Ian, but it doesn't mean don't observe it yearly on the 14th day of the first month.

Blessings!

I honestly cannot see that EGW understood the holy days, and this is why it has been rejected in the SDA church

Exodus 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying: Verily ye shall keep My Sabbaths, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that ye may know that I am the LORD who sanctify you.

With this, the scripture makes clear to us that the holy day Sabbaths as well as the weekly Sabbath is a sign that we may know that it is the LORD who sanctify us.  A sign is a point of focus; God wants us to focus on the truth of our sanctification.

Hebrews 2:11 says,

For he who makes holy (The LORD) and they who are made holy (The Saints) are all of one, therefore, he (Jesus) is not ashamed to call them his brothers…

The true purpose of keeping the holy days is to invoke a continual knowledge that it is the LORD who has called out the Saints.  In the beginning God called out Israel, no other nation was given this knowledge.

Romans 8:30 says

And those He predestined He also called, those He called He also justified, those He justified He also glorified. God sanctified us by His call.

As God’s called out sanctified people, by rejecting His Sabbaths, we are rejecting the knowledge that the LORD sanctifies us.

Jubilee Bible 2000

1 Corinthians 1:2 unto the congregation {Gr. ekklesia – called out ones} of God which is at Corinth, to those that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be holy, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

Acknowledging the sanctification of LORD of us, we will acknowledge God’s plan.  The holy days are God’s plan of salvation for us and the world.

The first event to occur in our salvation is the Passover, not the Lord’s Supper.

In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD'S Passover.

The Passover is not the Jew’s Passover, but the LORD’s.  The Jews were the only ones keeping it because the Oracles of God were given to them at that time, but now has been given to the Church.

…Matthew 28:18Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit,  20and teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”…

Now, where did Jesus teach that the holy days should not be kept?

Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish, but to fulfill.

Gene not too sure who you was aiming that comment at, but  I do agree we need to keep God's holy days holy indeed.

If you read the text carefully it is speaking only of the Sabbath day. It is in the plural form in some translation to show that there are many 7th day or weekly Sabbaths in the year. The commentators agree with this rendering that this is speaking about the weekly Sabbaths. There are many reasons this text cannot refer to the yearly Sabbaths which are too obvious. No bible scholar would even think that this text refers to the yearly Sabbaths. This is why i always say those who push the fest days are very deceptive. 

From the pillar of cloud Christ declared concerning the Sabbath: “Verily My Sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.” Exodus 31:13. The Sabbath given to the world as the sign of God as the Creator is also the sign of Him as the Sanctifier. The power that created all things is the power that re-creates the soul in His own likeness. To those who keep holy the Sabbath day it is the sign of sanctification. True sanctification is harmony with God, oneness with Him in character. It is received through obedience to those principles that are the transcript of His character. And the Sabbath is the sign of obedience. He who from the heart obeys the fourth commandment will obey the whole law. He is sanctified through obedience. {CCh 261.4}

Peace

With all due respect,, let's not get off track to much brothers, Jesus our example observed GOD'S annual Holy Days, Luke, Paul with his converts observed the annual Holy Days some 20 years after the cross, Gentiles Christians in the third century still observing communion on the 14th day of the first month. That's not being done away with.

Many things happened on GOD Holy set days, Oct.22,1844 was on GOD'S Holy Day.. The main thing is what Jesus did for us on the cross, it took place on the annual Holy set day of GOD.

EGW: "The slaying of the Passover lamb was a shadow of the death of Christ. Says Paul: “Christ our Passover is sacrificed for us." The sheaf of first fruits, which at the time of the Passover was waved before the Lord, was typical of the resurrection of Christ. Paul says, in speaking of the resurrection of the Lord and of all His people: “Christ the first fruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at His coming.” Like the wave sheaf, which was the first ripe grain gathered before the harvest, Christ is the first fruits of that immortal harvest of redeemed ones that at the future resurrection shall be gathered into the garner of God."

Now, notice how the context changes from the event to the "time"..

EGW "These types were fulfilled, not only as to the event, but as to the time. On the fourteenth day of the first Jewish month, the very day and month on which for fifteen long centuries the Passover lamb had been slain, Christ, having eaten the Passover with His disciples, instituted that feast which was to commemorate His own death as “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” That same night He was taken by wicked hands to be crucified and slain. And as the antitype of the wave sheaf our Lord was raised from the dead on the third day, “the first fruits of them that slept,” a sample of all the resurrected just, whose “vile body” shall be changed, and “fashioned like unto His glorious body.”
In like manner the types which relate to the second advent must be fulfilled at the time pointed out in the symbolic service." GC 399,400

She says Types which relate to the second advent must be fulfilled at the time.., what time? GOD'S annual Holy set days, that's the context. HIS Moed/Feast which means an appointed time.

Now, you know who wants us to forget about the annual Holy Days right?

Daniel 7:25 (Amplified Bible)

"And he shall speak words against the Most High [God] and shall wear out the saints of the Most High and think to change the time [of sacred feasts and holy days] and the law; and the saints shall be given into his hand for a time, two times, and half a time [three and one-half years].

Daniel 7:25 (New Living Translation)

"He will defy the Most High and oppress the holy people of the Most High. He will try to change their sacred festivals and laws, and they will be placed under his control for a time, times, and half a time.

Dan. 7:25 (New American Bible)

"He shall speak against the Most High and oppress the holy ones of the Most High, thinking to change the feast days and the law. They shall be handed over to him for a year, two years, and a half-year.

Again, EGW said

"In like manner the types which relate to the second advent must be fulfilled at the time pointed out in the symbolic service." GC 399,400

Just like the day of Atonement in Oct.22,1844, it was a Holy set time of GOD, there are many events still to come that relates to the second coming of Jesus.. SOP says it "must be fulfilled at the time pointed out in the symbolic service"... GOD'S annual Holy days are appointed times.

Along with my Aussie brother, Ian, We all agree the Feast of Tabernacles still has a future fulfillment (Zech.14), the Bible says we will go up to observed the Feast of Tabernacles. It's much evidence showing GOD'S annual Holy days weren't done away with.

I don't know about no test, or my burden Pastor Mark W. Is talking about... All I know by the help of the Holy Spirit is that there's no proof the annual Holy Days of GOD was done away with, however there is proof of them being observed after the death of Jesus, after 70AD, and in the future.

Blessings!

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2017   Created by Clark P.   Powered by