Adventist Online

Sabbaths section: not easy to put this in practise especially when someone has repeatedly mistreated you: 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.
29 To the person who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other as well, and from the person who takes away your coat, do not withhold your tunic either.
30 Give to everyone who asks you, and do not ask for your possessions back from the person who takes them away.
31 Treat others in the same way that you would want them to treat you.

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"To the person who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other as well..."

Offering our vulnerability to somebody who has already harmed us! Quite amazing really.

I think this is one of the great examples of "righteousness by faith".

Acting like this just isn't rational.  It's not something that our "feelings" would tell us to do.

And yet we do it -- we offer our vulnerability to a known aggressor -- simply because Jesus tells us to act this way, and we believe that He has our best interests at heart. We do it because we have faith in Him. (Please understand that I'm not talking about physical aggressors here, but rather, people that "smite" us on the cheek mentally/emotionally.)

Are you able to agree with this kind of application, Cindy?

Hi Stewart yes and no, if it keeps happening I do not think Christ is saying to make ourselves a door mat, without going into too much detail if the person is unrepentant and keeps doing it we are instructed to keep our peace and let them be...

I can agree with you, Cindy. Yes, if it keeps happening, best to let them be... for our sake's and for theirs.

The "door mat" idea reminds me of a striking little thought in Isaiah :

"But I [God] will put it [the cup of trembling] into the hand of them that afflict thee; which have said to thy soul, 'Bow down, that we may go over': and thou hast laid thy body as the ground, and as the street, to them that went over." (Isa 51:23)

It's a horrendous picture really, and I don't take it to mean that we should lay ourselves down, so that other people can walk over us, and treat us like dirt. But if we come out of a situation like that, where we've been walked over, yes, we need to shake the proverbial dust [the hurts, etc.] from our own feet, and carry on.

amen Stuart, it's like when Jesus says in Matthew if anyone causes any of my little ones to sin it would be better for them to have a milestone tied round their necks... we are God's children :)

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2020   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service