Adventist Online

BREAKING: Annual Council Votes Women's Ordination Question for 2015 GC Session

After a long day of discussion on women's ordination, delegates approved a question to send on for deliberation and vote in San Antonio, Texas.

SILVER SPRING - At approximately 5:37 local time, Annual Conference delegates voted to approve language crafted by The General Conference and Division Officers (GCDO), that will now go to delegates at the 2015 General Conference Session in San Antonio, Texas. The language from GCDO came in the form of a question, posted below.

Delegates will be asked,

After your prayerful study on ordination from the Bible, the writings of Ellen G. White, and the reports of the study commissions, and;

After your careful consideration of what is best for the Church and the fulfillment of its mission,

Is it acceptable for division executive commitees, as they may deem it appropriate in their territories, to make provision for the ordination of women to the gospel ministry? Yes or No

The discussion of ordination, and specifically the issue of whether or not women might be ordained as pastors, spanned two business sessions, the first from 9:00 am until approximately noon, the second from 2:00 pm until just after the final vote.

Before delegates voted, they heard three summary presentations that represented the three positions that emerged from the Theology of Ordination Study Committee (TOSC). Biblical Research Institute scholar Clinton Wahlen presented Position 1, which favored denying ordination to women pastors in elders, and supported male headship. Walla Walla University professor Carl Cosaert presented Position 2, which would allow those church fields that support ordination to proceed. Andrews University professor Nicholas Miller presented Position 3, which sought to marry the male headship language of Position 1 with the variability in practice of Position 2.

When the floor opened for discussion, countless delegates spoke to the motion both in favor and against. The final vote was 243 in favor, 44 opposed, and 3 in abstention.

Check back for a full report on the day's proceedings soon.

Views: 1009

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

keith,

Two answers:

1. I don't.

2. Read her writings.

Hello Keith

I am wondering why the objectors to WO haven't answered my question.

What jobs can a woman do in our church. Can they be hospital chaplains? Can they participate in service ministry? Can women lead as Christian counselors? Can a woman be a youth leader? Can a woman be an evangelist or a sabbath school teacher? Can a woman lead out the the establishment and building of a new Church?

I have a feeling that they won't touch it.

Leon 

Leon

"In reviewing the available evidence it is more probable that Ellen White was not an ordained pastor of the Seventh-day Adventist Chuch."  Yes JohnB, that is the proper way to qualify the statement.

JohnB,
Thats my concern. Why do brethren use terms like commission or whatever instead of ordination then they go ahead allow the said officers to carry on the work of. Fully ordained male isnt that just confusion? If we dont ordain them let the policy be that these dont study for the ministry otherwise its clearly not fair. May i ask a question to you who have female prs? What ist the difference in roles with their counterpart men?

Mutinta,

Firstly you have to look at the history of where the term "commissioned" came from. It comes from the IRS - the USA's tax department. The Church used that term in order that those "commissioned", both male and female, could enjoy the tax breaks that ordained pastors/ministers get.

At the 1990 GC Sessions the NAD was told that they could not ordain women. Eld McClure stated that the NAD would abide by the decisions of the GC. So they began commissioning women and calling them pastor. However, what was created was a second-class "ordination" as there are the sacramental functions that only ordained pastors can perform (e.g. performing a marriage).

Also, immediately after the 1990 Sessions those pro-WO encouraged women to study for the ministry - money was raised solely for the purpose of putting women through college but it was also clear that unless there was a change in church policy there would be no pastoral ordination. In other words, the women students were quite cynically used by those pro-WO in order to push their agenda. It is part of the organised rebellion that has been taking place over the last couple of decades.

Since the 1990 GC Sessions there has been a consistent effort to undermine the express will of the global church and push a feminist agenda.

JohnB

Semantics will not win this argument. The SDA church ordained Ellen White and other women and provided them with credentials. There is no rebellion, just persons trying to serve God.

Leon

Herbert,

When and where did the SDA Church ordain Ellen White?

Hi JohnB,
Your profile photo freaks me out... Though am not a conspiracy theorist, I have heard them over and over and when I look at it, my mind just thinks " all seeing eye"! Could you change it for me? I can suggest the sda logo, you can even copy Leon cute animal, lol.or a speed car but the eye! Eeeeeeh.creepy.

Mutinta

That's not the all seeing eye. Search Google for' the all seeing eye'

Dear Mutinta,

"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light."

Matthew 6:22

JohnB,
Ok. Understood.
Mutinta

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by