Adventist Online

What do you think??

Views: 4848

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you . They really need to talk it out. And they may need someone around and watching for a very long time. I was not really suicidal but I  had depression and anxiety for over a year  and it was not a good place to be in  and you definitely do have some dark thoughts ,but prayer definitely helped me. As did reading the bible and looking forward to the Sabbath. I think observing Sabbath helps me at least say  ok that week is over, now relax, get your head back together with God and lets try it again.  Also diet, lack of vitamins  and minerals,  hormonal imbalance ,and lack of sunlight can all be issues that cause depression. People in places that lack sunlight or in the wintertime are often more prone to depression due to low serotonin level because of less frequent sunlight.

I remember when i was so down, and see that there was no option to move on, then i went to reading the Bible.....it is where i gained peace.  People are different. It works for me. Or those who's closer there, in church ,will invite her to some group discussion. In situations like this, the church has a big task.

eply by Charliebwoyo 16 minutes ago

Consider this did Samson commit suicide when he ask God to let him die with the Philistine?  Did not his request stem from the same source of discouragement, not wanting to go on, a sense of failure, inadequate and other negative connotations, just a thought.

YEAH!

god bless u

where did u come from.

i shared earlier in the thread about samson and most christians that replied

turned jaundiced over it

we might see some more yellow

:)

Hi Timbertwo.

Deliberately choosing to kill oneself  and then dying would be deliberately choosing to break one of God's commandments as the last act of one's life. It is impossible for a person to prefer breaking any of God's commandments while living on earth and to expect to be able afterward to enjoy heaven or to be trusted there in the future.

Heaven would be a place of torture to the person who considers that obedience to God on earth is a burden.

A person who commits suicide cannot go to heaven unless by some miracle he or she was able to genuinely repent before their thoughts and feelings ceased.

Samson did not kill or murder himself. A misunderstanding of Scripture would lead to that wrong conclusion.

Stay with the Bible and the Spirit of prophecy and you can't go wrong as long as you pray for help.

Human opinions, what "I think" or what "you think" are not a safe guide to understanding spiritual things.

And Samson called unto the LORD, and said, O Lord GOD, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes. (Judges 16:28) 

And Samson took hold of the two middle pillars upon which the house stood, and on which it was borne up, of the one with his right hand, and of the other with his left. (Judges 16:29)

And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that [were] therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life. (Judges 16:30)

1. Samson prayed before he died.

2. Samson asked God for strength before he died.

3. Samson asked God for strength to do again what God had called Him to do - begin to deliver Israel from the Philistines

Before Samson died He prayed to God for strength. The Bible makes it clear that His unusual strength came from God. 

Samson did not pray to God for strength to kill Himself.

To state that Samson killed himself would imply then that God gave Him the strength to kill himself.

Who would dare accuse God of such evil ?

All evil accusations about God or misrepresentations of His character have their origin in the mind of the fallen angel who deceived 1/3 of all the angels in heaven.

Here is what really happened in Samson's case after he was taken captive by the Philistines:

In suffering and humiliation, a sport for the Philistines, Samson learned more of his own weakness than he had ever known before; and his afflictions led him to repentance.  {PP 566.3}  

As the Philistines exulted over their great victory, they ascribed the honor to their gods, praising them as superior to the God of Israel. The contest, instead of being between Samson and the Philistines, was now between Jehovah and Dagon, and thus the Lord was moved to assert his almighty power and his supreme authority. A favorable opportunity for this was soon presented. The Philistines held a feast in honor of their God Dagon. A vast company was assembled, and in the height of their sacrilegious festivities, they ordered the captive to be produced, that the people might have a new source of amusement. {ST, October 13, 1881 par. 14}  

The immense building was thronged with the brave and the fair. Even the roof was crowded with thousands of spectators. After a time, as if weary, Samson asked permission to rest against the two central pillars which supported the temple roof. Then he breathed the prayer, "O Lord Jehovah, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, that I may be avenged on the Philistines for my two eyes." With these words he seized the pillars in his mighty arms, and with the cry, "Let me die with the Philistines," he bowed himself and the roof fell, destroying at one dread crash, all that vast company. "So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life."  {ST, October 13, 1881 par. 15}  

God's promise that through Samson He would "begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines" was fulfilled. {PP 567.2}  

Samson did not die to kill himself.

Samson died after praying for strength to kill the Philistines.

He only stated what was obvious. 

His last act of obedience to God would include the ultimate self-sacrifice.

Thank you for allowing my reply.

Thank You Brother for posting all of this. We all have problems, but the word of God here is clear and so is the SOP. What Sampson did was not a selfish act of suicide and I don't mean to say suicide is selfish  to be insensitive cause so many people are truly suffering in our world mentally and physically. However, those who are considering suicide are too focused on self and internal drama and it often helps to turn that focus on something outward like helping someone  in worst shape or becoming involved in a positive activity that eases the depression and the word of God is a healer. What Sampson did was a loving self-sacrifice and echos what Jesus would later do. Sampson died to do the will of God and save the lives of thousands.

Hi Timbertwo.

Deliberately choosing to kill oneself  and then dying would be deliberately choosing to break one of God's commandments as the last act of one's life. It is impossible for a person to prefer breaking any of God's commandments while living on earth and to expect to be able afterward to enjoy heaven or to be trusted there in the future.

Heaven would be a place of torture to the person who considers that obedience to God on earth is a burden.

A person who commits suicide cannot go to heaven unless by some miracle he or she was able to genuinely repent before their thoughts and feelings ceased.

Samson did not kill or murder himself. A misunderstanding of Scripture would lead to that wrong conclusion.

Stay with the Bible and the Spirit of prophecy and you can't go wrong as long as you pray for help.

Human opinions, what "I think" or what "you think" are not a safe guide to understanding spiritual things.

And Samson called unto the LORD, and said, O Lord GOD, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes. (Judges 16:28) 

And Samson took hold of the two middle pillars upon which the house stood, and on which it was borne up, of the one with his right hand, and of the other with his left. (Judges 16:29)

And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that [were] therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life. (Judges 16:30)

1. Samson prayed before he died.

2. Samson asked God for strength before he died.

3. Samson asked God for strength to do again what God had called Him to do - begin to deliver Israel from the Philistines

Before Samson died He prayed to God for strength. The Bible makes it clear that His unusual strength came from God. 

Samson did not pray to God for strength to kill Himself.

To state that Samson killed himself would imply then that God gave Him the strength to kill himself.

Who would dare accuse God of such evil ?

All evil accusations about God or misrepresentations of His character have their origin in the mind of the fallen angel who deceived 1/3 of all the angels in heaven.

Here is what really happened in Samson's case after he was taken captive by the Philistines:

In suffering and humiliation, a sport for the Philistines, Samson learned more of his own weakness than he had ever known before; and his afflictions led him to repentance.  {PP 566.3}  

As the Philistines exulted over their great victory, they ascribed the honor to their gods, praising them as superior to the God of Israel. The contest, instead of being between Samson and the Philistines, was now between Jehovah and Dagon, and thus the Lord was moved to assert his almighty power and his supreme authority. A favorable opportunity for this was soon presented. The Philistines held a feast in honor of their God Dagon. A vast company was assembled, and in the height of their sacrilegious festivities, they ordered the captive to be produced, that the people might have a new source of amusement. {ST, October 13, 1881 par. 14}  

The immense building was thronged with the brave and the fair. Even the roof was crowded with thousands of spectators. After a time, as if weary, Samson asked permission to rest against the two central pillars which supported the temple roof. Then he breathed the prayer, "O Lord Jehovah, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, that I may be avenged on the Philistines for my two eyes." With these words he seized the pillars in his mighty arms, and with the cry, "Let me die with the Philistines," he bowed himself and the roof fell, destroying at one dread crash, all that vast company. "So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life."  {ST, October 13, 1881 par. 15}  

God's promise that through Samson He would "begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines" was fulfilled. {PP 567.2}  

Samson did not die to kill himself.

Samson died after praying for strength to kill the Philistines.

NOT QUITE! :)

where did i put my PRETTY ORANGE NO!

ITS NOT ABOUT WHAT WE THINK AS U SAY

ITS ABOUT

GODS DEALINGS AS SEEN IN THE BIBLE

AND WE SEE IT SO DIIFERENTLY

BLESSINGS!

Hi Man Flower Glow.

I'm not sure what your purpose is by inserting the large jpg of the word NO but it seems a bit offensive and rude.

Usually typing in all caps to someone means that the person is shouting. 

Did you do that intentionally too ? 

It does not seem like something Christ would do.

In any case, you have presented nothing from the Bible or the Spirit of prophecy to show that what I have presented is wrong.

In fact, the Bible and the Spirit of prophecy words are there speaking plainly on its own.

You have an opinion but you have presented nothing to support it.

Shouting and posting images does not explain why your opinion is correct.

i have presented my case IN THIS THREAD here n there

it comes down to how u see GOD

we see the same words from the scriptures

same stories

and have completely different ideaa of what just does GOD look like!

and

i will shout to the highest tree tops

when i see someone paint a pic of GOD

thats contrary to HIS CHARACTER

AND THANKU FOR REPLYING TO ME

gbu!

'It does not seem like something Christ would do.' -Tyrone Keels

I DISAGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY

Hi Man Flower Glow.

I have read all your statements in this entire thread beginning with March 18, 2012 at 6:39am.

You have presented absolutely no Bible verses or statements from the Spirit of prophecy in support of your opinion as it relates to the topic. 

All of what you present are merely your opinions.

It comes down to human opinion versus the Bible and the Spirit of prophecy.

Please share your Bible and Spirit of prophecy statements showing that a person who commits suicide can still go to heaven if that is what you believe.

If you believe Christ would be intentionally rude and offensive to a Christian then you don't know Christ. Disagreement does not change this truth.

its not about committing suicide and getting to go to heaven

o no no

o GOD BLESS U

my BROTHER IN JESUS

dont u see?

its about the GOD of SOP and the BIBLE [we both can quote yes amen..if we choose to]

and HIS HEART toward us sinners

i dont debate

not my bag

i share

:)

Hi Man Flower Glow.

Man Flower Glow said: its not about committing suicide and getting to go to heaven

Actually, that is exactly what the topic of the discussion is about. 

That is why I answered the question posed by Timbertwo in the manner that I did and provided the Bible and Spirit of Prophecy basis for my answer.

You replied to my answer, even though I said nothing to you, by shouting and posting a large NO as a response to what I stated.

I was not looking for a debate when I replied to Timbertwo's question but you opposed my answer with your opinion.

That's fine.

Your opinion is not the same as the Bible or the Spirit of prophecy.

I'm ok with moving forward.

Thank you for allowing my reply

gbu Tyrone Keels

no

its not about committing suicide and going to heaven

if it was .. i wouldnt be so adamant about parading an orange NO

im sorry it offended u

i posted a large pretty NO TO BE DRAMATIC

not to hurt u

GBU

RSS

Site Sponsors