Adventist Online

What do you think??

Views: 4848

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

It is a matter of interpretation as to whether or not Sampson committed suicide or was a martyr.

What we do know is he asked God for forgiveness before he died; even a person who attempts to take their lives may have the same opportunity in their last few moments (if successful).  Only the Lord knows and only He can make that call.

Sarah,...Samson asked God to let him die with the Philistines which would suggests that shaking the house down would not have killed him...

Notice too that the Bible states that the house was full (as well as upon the roof) with the lords and the people giving thanks and praises to their god Dagon, then Samson was brought in for sport, then he was place between two pillars;  "...And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that were therein. Never did the Bible says the house fell upon Samson...God could have put him to sleep when he bowed himself...Is anything too hard for God!

Sarah,...Samson asked God to let him die with the Philistines which would suggests that shaking the house down would not have killed him...

That is speculation--I am not comfortable with that regarding the Word of God for this discussion.  I respect how you feel about it, but we cannot make our personal conclusions any more than that.

"And Samson took hold of the two middle pillars upon which the house stood, and on which it was borne up, of the one with his right hand, and of the other with his left.

And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that were therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life."--Judges 16:29, 30.

Everyone that was there died period.

Tyrone Keels

IM GLAD TO BE TALKING TO U

and

im glad u read all the thread

i consider some of my best work is here

and maybe my worse :P

i love JESUS

HE HAS SHOWN me JUST HOW MUCH HE REALLY REALLY is INTO ME

it overflows to my dark parts

this thread touches the dark parts

as u can see

i want everyone to see GOD AND HIS HEART

regarding people who have committed suicide

and people who survived numerouse attempts

and people who struggle with those thoughts and feelings

thats why i parade an orange  large NO

somehow its been reduced to rules without connection

negating the human /sinner /biology / genetics/ family and growing up or down /circumstances/ horrors and tragedies / addictions /mistakes/   FACTOR

and much worse

negating THE GOD FACTOR

which is an abomination

yes!

bump

im comforted by How big and far God's Grace extends to humanity in all its brokeness

Heb 11 cleans up very well the beautiful testimonies of the worthies who will be in heaven

and looking at the OT accounts of samson life of murderiing/showing off/bullying and sex addictions and total disrespect and disregard of his Godly parents makes me think otherwise

Yet God was in it all ! - flabbergasts my delicate sensibilities

and any passerby by would see a mass murder suicide to end it all after all those sins!

quite jarring and yet

YET! God saved him in the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

praise GOD!

1 John 3:4 Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Exo. 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

Rom. 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

" ....Toward those who fall into sin, the church has a duty, to warn, to instruct, and if possible to restore. “Reprove, rebuke, exhort,” the Lord says, “with all long-suffering and doctrine.” 2 Timothy 4:2. Deal faithfully with wrongdoing. Warn every soul that is in danger. Leave none to deceive themselves. Call sin by its right name. Declare what God has said in regard to lying, Sabbath breaking, stealing, idolatry, and every other evil. “They which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” Galatians 5:21. If they persist in sin, the judgment you have declared from God’s word is pronounced upon them in heaven. In choosing to sin, they disown Christ; the church must show that she does not sanction their deeds, or she herself dishonors her Lord. She must say about sin what God says about it. She must deal with it as God directs, and her action is ratified in heaven. He who despises the authority of the church despises the authority of Christ Himself. "{DA 805.4}

" The greatest want of the world is the want of men—men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall. " {Ed 57.3}

Thanks, MFG, for your contribution to this thread.

I haven't had time to read all the messages, so someone may have brought up these points before. I am so glad that some of the people who are so sure of what sin is and is not will not be the ones to judge, but that God will be. But if I were in their shoes, I'd be a bit more careful, because the Bible tells us that we will be judged with the same measure we judge. Yikes!!

God does not see as man sees, and He judges according to what He sees:

Men saw a deranged man yelling for Christ to go away and leave Him alone.
Christ saw a man possessed by evil spirits begging Christ to deliver him. And he heard the cry that no one else heard and cast the devils out of the man.

Men see a little old woman using the Lord's Name in vain and behaving like a thoroughly unregenerate pagan.
But Christ sees the kindly little old grandmother who committed herself fully to Him many decades ago and lived in faith of the Second Coming even as her brain was destroyed from within by Alzheimer's disease, leaving only the old, unregenerate habits from before her conversion.

Men see that another man shot himself and thus committed murder without having time to repent.|
But Christ sees a man whose heart is committed to Him but whose brain will not cooperate -- swinging wildly between heights of elation and depths of despair. He acceptes the heart commitment.

We had best refrain from judging lest we be judged  by our measure, rather than God's!!

Bravo Inge, Amen!!!

Exactly. We don't know.

That's why your statement re "self-murder is a sin" and saying "we can only hope he had time to repent" (a  proposition which is a bit silly) was out of order, because the way you stated it, it implies that there's no hope for someone who commits suicide.

I suggested scenarios to help us consider that God may see things a bit differently than you presented them.

thanku INGE

i embrace  scenerios that pour Thick GRACE (RICH)

than to thin grace (cheap)

all who will make it to Heaven  will because of rick thick as molasses GRACE that has been lavished upon us

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service