Adventist Online

What do you think??

Views: 4842

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Bessy, you are right about all our unbecoming behavior. Thank you for caring. The commandments contain the principles of God's Love, and I for one fall far short of that love.

This is what the Bible tells us about our bodies and life and death:

1Co 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?  For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's

Be the judged:

if I am not my own, is my life my own that I should decide when to live and when not to live?

( Note that this question is wider than just suicide, it embraces the subject of euthanasia as well).

Exo 20:13 and Deu_5:17  Thou shalt not kill. 

These verses do not specify if is it to kill one self or to kill someone else. Therefore there was no need of separate the two, because the general statement covers both.

Applying the above statement, interpret these statements:

Jas_2:11 .... yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. 

1Jn_3:4  Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Heb 2:2  ................. every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward; 

Rom_6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Note that the death talked about here is being contrasted with eternal life, meaning the death being talked about here is eternal death)

My interpretation:

I am commanded not to kill both others and myself. If I kill others and myself, I  have transgress the law, and have therefore become a transgressor. If I transgress the law, then I sin and will receive my just recompense of reward, which is eternal death.

However, we have a merciful God, who judges righteously.  For remission of sin, He gave us His only begotten son, that whosoever believes in Him has eternal life. The Son came, that we may have Life and have it in abundance.  From this understanding, I find it difficult to reconcile the fact that God wills us to live, and to live more abundantly, and one resulting to commit suicide. Definitely, committing suicide is against the will of God, and therefore a transgression. Either way I look at it, I find it to be a transgression.

We may also excuse those who become Hopeless in life and they do not have a reason to carry on living. But this is how God links faith and Hope and life.

First, the statement, ‘The just shall live by faith’ has been repeated thrice. I think this is meant for emphasis. God Knew that sometimes, life will be challenging, and He reminds us and repeats it twice more, that the just shall live by faith.

How do the just live by faith? Faith in Jesus quenches all the discouragements and disillusionment that comes to us. That’s why we have this counsel from Eph_6:16  Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. This means that If we have faith, we will not be overcome even when we are tried to the point of death/ committing suicide. In fact, this is a requirement from God in rev 2:10, we are asked to be faithful, even to the point of death. This is because God is faithful and has given us His provisions and He assures us that ‘There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.’ 1Co 10:13

What then is faith?

Heb 11:1  Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

i.e. if I have a hope of a better tomorrow, and the situation today tells me there is not tomorrow, but I hold that that which I hope for and I get past today, then I have exercised faith. Rem what is not of faith is sin (Rom_14:23  …for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.)

If I become so helpless and have nothing to look forward to tomorrow, and I commit suicide, then I have no faith.

Check out what Heb 11:6  says, ‘But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him’.

I will now summarize what I get from these verses:

If it is impossible to please God without faith, and I die without faith by committing suicide (i.e. I die in displeasure to God), and lack of faith is sin, I will receive a just reward, which is eternal death.

How can we escape from committing suicide? By finding this Faith and look forward to tomorrow wholly resting in God our comforter, provider and he who sustains us. Trusting in God, the life giver. Here is how we find faith:

Rom_10:17  So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Let’s see what EGW had to say about suicide.

'That freedom of feeling that would result in your committing suicide is not sanctified.--RH Feb. 5, 1880.  {VSS 186.1}'

From all angles I look at it, it is impossible to please God when we commit suicide. And displeasure to God means we reap wrath.

Let us understand God’s judgement to be what is described in the Bible: Righteous and just i.e. it is where mercy and justice meet. But all is yours for the taking.

Choose mercy, by trusting in God and having faith in Jesus, and you obtain mercy.

Ignore mercy and trust in your own man solutions and commit suicide to save yourself, and obtain wrath.

Note: I too have very close relatives who committed suicide, and the fact that it is a transgression of the law of God is very painful to me and it actually dims the hope of meeting them in our heavenly home. This is the reason why their death was very tragic to the family and it was very difficult to deal with. But the truth must be stated plainly as truth.

Thank you everyone for all your study! I am glad that you have strong convictions.

I believe that only God's view is the real one.

But I cannot change another person's reality. If someone believes they are unlovable, that they are unworthy or not a worthwhile person, that their case is hopeless, I cannot make them have faith. Even God doesn't force someone against their will.

I can tell them what works for me, what Jesus has done for me, but I cannot change their reality. That would be like saying to a color blind person, "You must see color."

But I believe that God can change hearts, melt the heart of stone and make it a heart of flesh, make it a heart that seeks after God, make it a heart after His own heart. And what is my part? To convince them to think the way I think? I believe my job is to love them as Jesus loves them, unconditionally.

I would not honor God if I push the Bible down their throat or hammer them with EGW. I am certain you can respect that.

Amen Bessy.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by