Adventist Online

"God suffered him to fall under the power of Satan......hid him in the grave from those who were constantly drawing him from the truth"

" I saw that William Miller erred as he was soon to enter the heavenly Canna, in suffering his influence to go against the truth. Others led him to this; others must account for it. But the angels watch the precious dust of this servant of God, and he will come forth at the sound of the last trump." EW 258.

Question: does the bible teach that other will take account for our sins. 2nd, How did she know William Miller would be saved for sure, before his sins had been "blotted out" in the investigative judgment.

Views: 1274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

She wrote, that others will take account for leading him into this or for drawing him away from the truth, not, that they will take account for his sins. And i assume Miller died while he believed that Jesus is his savior and redeemer...how else do you "blott out" sins?

don't SDA's teach that sins are not "blotted out" until your name comes up in the investigative judgment? EGW  says in the GC that each persons name who has believed in Christ will be reviewed starting with Adam, some will be accepted for salvation, some rejected.

keith, someone who's sins are to be blotted out has done all they can do prior to "falling asleep". Nothing changes between the time of death to the blotting out of sin. If God chose to reveal the destiny of Wm Miller to sis White that is His affair.

You appear to be implying that God does not know who's sins are to be blotted out? This is wrong. God is omniscient.

what it looks like to me is that William Miller wasn't held accountable for his actions because someone else made him do it. Like we used to say  when we were kids" the devil made me do it." correct me if I am taking this all wrong. I really am trying hard to understand some of these statements.

You are taking it all wrong.

It does not say that others were to be held accountable for Wm Miller's sins, it says others were to be held accountable for leading him to sin.

keith mack:

"does the bible teach that other will take account for our sins."

Matt. 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

William Miller and Ellen White were pioneers in the Adventist movement.  They spent their whole lives serving God, to bring us this great message.  It is because of their work that we can have the truth.  Are you working so that others can have the truth, Keith?  If so, then you can share in their fellowship, and understand what they were all about.

In my view, the Scripture you quoted is entirely appropriate to show that those that "cause" others to sin, are accountable.

In the case of the adulteress; if she receives forgiveness for her sin, I don't believe that the man that "caused" her sin is automatically cleared of his guilt. He retains the guilt alone, until he has made things as right as he possibly can.

Another similar thought from Jeremiah --  "My people hath been lost sheep: their shepherds have caused them to go astray..." (Jer 50:6). In this case the shepherds bear responsibility for the waywardness of the flock.

"Whoso causeth the righteous to go astray in an evil way, he shall fall himself into his own pit..." (Prov 28:10)

William Miller was never a Seventh Day-Adventist. He never joined the group that eventually became the SDA denomination. He died a broken man. His ideas were the basis on which the small group of Sabbath keepers were drawn together. However his ideas are against the advice of Jesus Christ who told us that no man save the Father knows the date or hour of Jesus return. Ellen White was a pioneer in this group. Since her death the White family and publishing houses have promoted the ministry of Ellen White through her publications. It is not because of them that we have the truth. The truth is Jesus Christ, not a set of doctrines. If the doctrines as understood by Ellen White were the truth, then the denomination would be wrong in changing and developing its beliefs as it has done over the past 140 odd years. Jesus claims that He alone is the  final continuing authority for the believing Christian. Jesus also claims that the Holy Spirit is our comforter. These claims made in chapter 18 of the Seventh Day Adventist Believe are simply wrong and make the denomination a cult.

Welcome back Max George. Could you be more specific on the chapter 18 thingy?

No man "maketh known" the day or the hour. Jesus knows when He will return.

Keith

The Bible clearly teach that we are accountable for our sins. Was William Miller sinning in giving his message? William Miller did his best he could to his understanding, others lead him to compromise on his original message. How can William Miller be held responsible for that. I know that you are scoffing at E G Whites inspiration, (her inspiration tells us he will) but that may be as it may, you will be held responsible for your sins, as me for mine.

That is a good point.  William Miller didn't sin.  He just couldn't accept any more new light.  Luther rejected the Sabbath.  Even raised his voice against it.  He's not accountable, because it wasn't time to make the Sabbath a test.  Many other examples could be shown.

This is a pretty good, and heart-touching story.

"My attention was then called to William Miller. He looked perplexed and was bowed with anxiety and distress for his people. The company who had been united and loving in 1844 were losing their love, opposing one another, and falling into a cold, backslidden state. As he beheld this, grief wasted his strength. I saw leading men watching him, and fearing lest he should receive the third angel's message and the commandments of God. And as he would lean toward the light from heaven, these men would lay some plan to draw his mind away. A human influence was exerted to keep him in darkness and to retain his influence among those who opposed the truth. At length William Miller raised his voice against the light from heaven. He failed in not receiving the message which would have fully explained his disappointment and cast a light and glory on the past, which would have revived his exhausted energies, brightened his hope, and led him to glorify God. He leaned to human wisdom instead of divine, but being broken with arduous labor in his Master's cause and by age, he was not as accountable as those who kept him from the truth. They are responsible; the sin rests upon them. {EW 257.1}
     "If William Miller could have seen the light of the third message, many things which looked dark and mysterious to him would have been explained. But his brethren professed so deep love and interest for him, that he thought he could not tear away from them. His heart would incline toward the truth, and then he looked at his brethren; they opposed it. Could he tear away from those who had stood side by side with him in proclaiming the coming of Jesus? He thought they surely would not lead him astray. {EW 258.1}
    "God suffered him to fall under the power of Satan, the dominion of death, and hid him in the grave from those who were constantly drawing him from the truth. Moses erred as he was about to enter the Promised Land. So also, I saw that William Miller erred as he was soon to enter the heavenly Canaan, in suffering his influence to go against the truth. Others led him to this; others must account for it. But angels watch the precious dust of this servant of God, and he will come forth at the sound of the last trump." {EW 258.2}

It's funny the way you quoted it:  "God suffered him to fall under the power of Satan......hid him in the grave from..."

Why would you omit the words "the dominion of death"?  That's the "power of Satan" she was talking about.  You make it sound like Satan led him into the power of sin.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service