Adventist Online

Recently I found myself at a church that has just recieved a new pastor. During the Sabbath morning service way before the announcements and topics and giving and songs, they introduced him and his wife. I was astounded to see the sheer Un-reverencey (if thats a word), that took place. Everyone was clapping and carrying on, and cheering. Now I understand this was a special occasion, so I brushed it off. Later a woman came before the church to tell of her grandson's story of healing from a disease, again loud cheering and clapping flooded the supposed to be quiet and holy sanctuary. This continued through out the rest of the church service and even spilled into part of the pastor's sermon. With jokes and clapping and lots of chatter I was particullarly weary of continuing this church. I came from a small town church, not that they were perfect, but we certainly do not cheer during service.

Is it okay? to be cheering like this on sabbath day inside the sanctuary?

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Josh. I wasn't aware that Ellen White spoke against celebration churches. I didn't know they had celebration churches in her day. But would love to be shown any quotes from our prophet that you might have. Could you share them with us?
But then we have to define "celebration" my friend.

The "pentecostals" celebrate and our beloved brothers end up rolling around on the floor speaking "unknown" words.

Football Supporters "celebrate" when their teams win, mainly by getting drunk and noisy.

Maybe we need to define that word, as it can mean many things?

God bless,

Mark :-)
Here you go 4him.

"Those things you have described as taking place in Indiana, the Lord has shown me would take place just before the close of probation. Every uncouth thing will be demonstrated. There will be shouting, with drums, music and dancing. The Holy Spirit never reveals itself in such methods, in such a bedlam of noise. The powers of satanic agencies blend with the din of noise, to have a carnival, and this is termed the Holy Spirit working. The Holy Spirit has nothing to do with such a confusion of noise and multitude of sounds as passed before me last January. Satan works amid the din and confusion of such music, which, if properly conducted, would be a praise and glory to God. He makes its effect like the poison sting of the serpent. Those things which have been in the past will be in the future. Satan will make music a snare by the way in which it is conducted. God calls upon His people who have the light before them in the word and in the testimonies, to read and consider, and to take heed. Clear and definite instruction has been given in order that all may understand." Selected Messages Volume 2, p. 36-38.

"Mere noise and shouting are no evidence of sanctification, or of the descent of the Holy Spirit. The Lord desires to have in His service, order and discipline, not excitement and confusion."
General Conference Bulletin April 23, 1901.

"Music is acceptable to God only when the heart is sanctified and made soft and holy by its faculties. But many who delight in music know nothing of making melody in their hearts to the Lord. The heart is gone "after their idols" Evangelism p. 512.

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord" Colossians 3:16

"Love not the world, neither the things of the world, if any man love the world the love of the Father is not in him"
1 John 2:15.
I don't read any mention of celebration churches in your post.
The word humble and reverance doesnt exist in modern day adventist churches mainly in the big citys anymore. Its sad but all these things have to happen before Jesus comes because they were predicted. People love to bring God down to their level and not go to his level. Jesus isn't your homeboy. Hes your savior. Show some respect. He could kill you with a thought. Hes not someone to take lightly. We are nothing compared to him. If you want to do all the jumping around and praising do it in the potluck room or outside not in the holy sactuary. I wonder what would of happened if the Aaron when he went into the most holy place started clapping and jumping and shouting? What would have happened to him? God was very strict about him Holy place. But then some people on here will say oooooh that was because God was actually there. So your saying hes not actually in your church then? Well i feel him in my little country church. I dont feel him in the big city churches. I just see alot of hyper emotional wrecks running around like chickens with their heads cut off. No reverance no respect. Just people acting like Cain. Cain wanted to worship God his way and sacrafice vegetables. Able worshipped God the way God instructed and sacraficed a lamb. The evil Cain killed his brother when he saw God was pleased with Able and not him. Ellen White says fellow Adventists will be our worst enemies in the last days and will turn us over to officials for worshipping on sabbath. I see alot of Cains in the church. Just watch how they worship and watch how they try to make God on thier level. OhGod understands me, its ok.
Devil Worshippers (sun God worshippers) they all dance around fires and altars beating their drums and screaming, jumping, dancing and inflicting pain on themselves. Well I wonder when these (modern day) Adventist churches will take it to the next level and start inflicting pain on themselves while in (worship) beating their drums.?
Is this the only Church you can go to Chrissy?

Because it would seem that it is important to you to maintain a sense of reverence.

I would suggest this congregation has lost track of that.

I personally would look elsewhere if possible, if not, then you may have to approach the Church Board with your concerns.

Jesus will give you the strength.

Remember you do have the right to express your own opinion to the Board, if you are a member of that Church, but I would pray and fast on that one before I went ahead as the enemy loves to use issues like that to cause controversy.

God bless,

Mark
Each SDA church have their own individual traits based mostly on cultural diversities. Being uncomfortable in that kind of situation would be natural as you are not used to it. However, this isn't something that we will go against either. I belong to an ultra-conservative SDA church where clapping is hardly done, no cheering whatsoever, no loud musical instruments allowed either (like drums & cymbals). But we do make exceptions especially when we have visiting groups (like the Brazilian choir, who are tremendously talented but are really contemporary and kinda loud, though I loved their performance). In any case, visit the Adventist.org website as these topics are discussed plus many more. Hope it helps. Have a blessed day!
Yes your exactly on it. It was more like comedy show than a church service. Im going to give it another chance just to see if maybe this sabbath was a fluke due to a new pastor. But i have a feeling its how every sabbath goes.
Thank You! the court room parallell is perfect!
We quiet at weddings, funerals, courts,etc. but not at church...

yes he has been an SDA pastor for 20 some odd years I believe
I agree with you Gabe. If they were worshipping a golden calf or similar image in front of the church .... that would be wrong. But, what has been described in this thread would seem to just be a matter of culture and style. I don't see any thing wrong.

IF one doesn't like the particular style of a church ... one should look around and go to another more to your liking. Kinda similar to a forum preference.
Hi Chrissy,

You are to be commended for speaking out about irreverence in a place of worship that has been dedicated to God.

I have watched the threads that have been started here on AoL as well as several other websites, about music and proper decorum in a house of worship. I must say I am amazed by the number of responses posted as well as the number of personal opinions offered. Unfortunately quantity of responses or personal opinions have no bearing on the topics of other threads or on the topic of this thread.

Since I don't have the time to post everything that could be said on this topic I'm simply going to make some strong statements. I'm quite certian that some of those who read this thread will undoubtedly consider these statements to be only my personal opinion. That being said however everything I may say can be backed up by Scripture and logic.

Far too many Christians, including SDA, want a "Thus saith the Lord" type of command for everything that they should or should not do about aything that has any possible connection to being a Christian and a follower of Christ. Without realizing it that is being leagalistic just as surly as the Jews of Christ time were leagalist.

In order to serve God we are expected to use the gifts the Creator gave mankind (Adam & Eve) at creation. One of the greatest, if not the greatest, gift given to man at creation was our brain. Along with our brain came the ability to use logic and reason. Without our brain/mind, and concious thought, it is impossible to communicate with our Creator God. We might call our mind/brain our communications center with heaven. Unfortunately along with the power of the mind and the power of free will came the ability to rationnalize any point of view we wish to take on any tioic or subject no mater how ridiculous it may seem to others.

We must also use logic and reason to comprehind our Creator and the plan of salvation. But even before we can understand the plan of salvation we must have proper concepts of God. The reason we must start with proper concepts of God is because as human beings we first must grasp concepts before we can proceed with logical thinking. It is from concepts that we can establish principals, With the application of principals we can take action and make correct decisions in our everyday lives as Christians. Without concepts, principals, and correct actions and thinking, it is impossible to follow in the foot steps of Jesus Christ.

We must alsways remember that people change daily principals never do.

Here is another thing to think about. Have you ever really thought about the word fear as used in comjunction with the name of God in the Bible? For example "fear the Lord" or "fear God." The word "fear" comes from a Hebrew word that also may be translated as reverance or to be reverent. If we "fear God" we will be reverent in our worship of Him no matter when or where that may be.

There is much, much more that could be written on this topic not only from a biblical standpoint but also from secular clinical and psycological standpoints. For the moment however I'm out of time.

Respectfully, your brother in Christ,
Doc

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com