Adventist Online

Recently I found myself at a church that has just recieved a new pastor. During the Sabbath morning service way before the announcements and topics and giving and songs, they introduced him and his wife. I was astounded to see the sheer Un-reverencey (if thats a word), that took place. Everyone was clapping and carrying on, and cheering. Now I understand this was a special occasion, so I brushed it off. Later a woman came before the church to tell of her grandson's story of healing from a disease, again loud cheering and clapping flooded the supposed to be quiet and holy sanctuary. This continued through out the rest of the church service and even spilled into part of the pastor's sermon. With jokes and clapping and lots of chatter I was particullarly weary of continuing this church. I came from a small town church, not that they were perfect, but we certainly do not cheer during service.

Is it okay? to be cheering like this on sabbath day inside the sanctuary?

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Those things you have described as taking place in Indiana, the Lord has shown me would take place just before the close of probation. Every uncouth thing will be demonstrated. There will be shouting, with drums, music and dancing. The Holy Spirit never reveals itself in such methods, in such a bedlam of noise. The powers of satanic agencies blend with the din of noise, to have a carnival, and this is termed the Holy Spirit working. The Holy Spirit has nothing to do with such a confusion of noise and multitude of sounds as passed before me last January. Satan works amid the din and confusion of such music, which, if properly conducted, would be a praise and glory to God. He makes its effect like the poison sting of the serpent. Those things which have been in the past will be in the future. Satan will make music a snare by the way in which it is conducted. God calls upon His people who have the light before them in the word and in the testimonies, to read and consider, and to take heed. Clear and definite instruction has been given in order that all may understand." Selected Messages Volume 2, p. 36-38.

"Mere noise and shouting are no evidence of sanctification, or of the descent of the Holy Spirit. The Lord desires to have in His service, order and discipline, not excitement and confusion."
General Conference Bulletin April 23, 1901.

"Music is acceptable to God only when the heart is sanctified and made soft and holy by its faculties. But many who delight in music know nothing of making melody in their hearts to the Lord. The heart is gone "after their idols" Evangelism p. 512.

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord" Colossians 3:16

"Love not the world, neither the things of the world, if any man love the world the love of the Father is not in him"
1 John 2:15.
Ellen G. White Estate
Selected Messages Book 2 (1958), page 36, paragraph 2
Chapter Title: The "Holy Flesh" Doctrine-
Worship With a Bedlam of Noise

It is impossible to estimate too largely the work that the Lord will accomplish through His proposed vessels in carrying out His mind and purpose. The things you have described as taking place in Indiana, the Lord has shown me would take place just before the close of probation. Every uncouth thing will be demonstrated. There will be shouting, with drums, music, and dancing. The senses of rational beings will become so confused that they cannot be trusted to make right decisions. And this is called the moving of the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit never reveals itself in such methods, in such a bedlam of noise. This is an invention of Satan to cover up his ingenious methods for making of none effect the pure, sincere, elevating, ennobling, sanctifying truth for this time. Better never have the worship of God blended with music than to use musical instruments to do the work which last January was represented to me would be brought into our camp meetings. The truth for this time needs nothing of this kind in its work of converting souls. A bedlam of noise shocks the senses and perverts that which if conducted aright might be a blessing. The powers of satanic agencies blend with the din and noise, to have a carnival, and this is termed the Holy Spirit's working.

When the camp meeting is ended, the good which ought to have been done and which might have been done by the presentation of sacred truth is not accomplished. Those participating in the supposed revival receive impressions which lead them adrift. They cannot tell what they formerly knew regarding Bible principles. No encouragement should be given to this kind of worship. The same kind of influence came in after the passing of the time in 1844. The same kind of representations were made. Men became excited, and were worked by a power thought to be the power of God....

The Holy Spirit has nothing to do with such a confusion of noise and multitude of sounds as passed before me last January. Satan works amid the din and confusion of such music, which, properly conducted, would be a praise and glory to God. He makes its effect like the poison sting of the serpent.

Those things which have been in the past will be in the future. Satan will make music a snare by the way in which it is conducted. God calls upon His people, who have the light before them in the Word and in the Testimonies, to read and consider, and to take heed. Clear and definite instruction has been given in order that all may understand. But the itching desire to originate something new results in strange doctrines, and largely destroys the influence of those who would be a power for good if they held firm the beginning of their confidence in the truth the Lord had given them.
"I saw the nominal church and nominal Adventists, like Judas, would betray us to the Catholics to obtain their influence to come against the truth. The saints then will be an obscure people, little known to the Catholics; but the churches and nominal Adventists who know of our faith and customs (for they hated us on account of the Sabbath, for they could not refute it) will betray the saints and report them to the Catholics as those who disregard the institutions of the people; that is, that they keep the Sabbath and disregard Sunday." E.G. White, Spalding--Magan Unpublished Testimonies, p. 1.
Ofcourse Gabe, Just like all sabbath keepers wont be in heaven and just like all sunday keepers wont be in the lake of fire. God knows our efforts. He knows who is a lazy christian and who is honestly trying to do all of Gods will the best of his ability. Not just what the christian wants to follow but what God expects. Thats why God is the greatest judge of all. He sees all and knows all. People are bad judges. We are dumb and blind. But God knows who is sincere and who is wishy washy. Its a constant battle for me to try and be sincere and not fall to the wish washy side due to selfish reasons. I just hope when probation ends I am found on the sincere side.
Only because they don't have a relationship with the Father. you can do all things right and serve him and be as respectful as possible but unless you have a relationship with Him he will turn you away. Read your Bible!!!!! Gabe
I do read my Bible. Everynight.
But wouldn't those who do the will of the Father also be reverent?
Ummm. Let's see. One man's reverence is not another man's reverence. One man's interpretation of scripture is not another man's interpretation. Each is doing the will of the Father to their best understanding. The ones that want to criticize another brother's reverence ... are NOT doing the will of the Father. At least that is the way I would look at it. What say U ?
What say me.. I say... wait, I should say "what say I", right? Wait.. no, lol.. This is what I'm saying.

No one should be interpreting the Bible, I believe it interprets itself. We see this in prophecy very frequently where many people interpret it all sorts of different ways, but really no need for that lol. My example could be the lake of fire. People think its eternal torment in hell, no one here I'm sure lol. The Bible says this is the second death though as found in Rev 20:14. I know, I know, this is no new information to anyone here lol, but I know y'all see how the Bible interprets itself.

I agree people need to do the will of the Father to their best understanding. Hopefully everyone doing this is continually studying too and not settling for what they know lol.

So here is a question then. And we may see some different answers but I want to ask anyway lol. What is it to show reverence? How does one do this? Not forgetting its before God we are doing this b4 btw.
Jose ... I am not sure how to 'interpret' this:

"No one should be interpreting the Bible, I believe it interprets itself. "

It may interpret itself ... but I am not the Bible. I still have to interpret what it in itself is saying.

Am I making ANY sense?
Ok, I'll say it in less words. I was thinking finding the word "reverence" in the Bible as many times as I could, and then reading the context around that word. See how the Bible records it should be shown.
That sounds cool. But you still have to determine if it was culturally influenced. That might require some "interpretation".

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service