Adventist Online

Recently I found myself at a church that has just recieved a new pastor. During the Sabbath morning service way before the announcements and topics and giving and songs, they introduced him and his wife. I was astounded to see the sheer Un-reverencey (if thats a word), that took place. Everyone was clapping and carrying on, and cheering. Now I understand this was a special occasion, so I brushed it off. Later a woman came before the church to tell of her grandson's story of healing from a disease, again loud cheering and clapping flooded the supposed to be quiet and holy sanctuary. This continued through out the rest of the church service and even spilled into part of the pastor's sermon. With jokes and clapping and lots of chatter I was particullarly weary of continuing this church. I came from a small town church, not that they were perfect, but we certainly do not cheer during service.

Is it okay? to be cheering like this on sabbath day inside the sanctuary?

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Views: 184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, if it is all determined that it was something a culture did, do we then dismiss it all?
Ok, using the KJV I found the word "reverence" 13 times in the Bible. Thats how many times it appeared on Biblegateway.com, a site I have found no reason to complain about.

I will post the verses, before I do, I want to add that it appeared not only in one particular span of time but yeah.. a lot of time passed from the first time I found it mentioned to the last. Ok, I'll admit it was around the Jewish people this was made mention of for the most part, maybe all of it, idk. But a last thing that no matter who was being reverenced, whether a king, or God, or in parable, there was no loud, disorderly type behavior. I also want to say that there may be situations where reverence was shown, or not shown, where that specific word is not used. So if anyone wants to add that in, feel free. I really like the last verse btw :) Well, I like them all. Inputs anyone?

This does not sound like a boring time to me either, only one where great respect is shown.
Leviticus 19:30
Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 26:22
Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

Samuel 9:6
Now when Mephibosheth, the son of Jonathan, the son of Saul, was come unto David, he fell on his face, and did reverence. And David said, Mephibosheth. And he answered, Behold thy servant!

1 Kings 1:31
Then Bathsheba bowed with her face to the earth, and did reverence to the king, and said, Let my lord king David live for ever.

Esther 3:2
And all the king's servants, that were in the king's gate, bowed, and reverenced Haman: for the king had so commanded concerning him. But Mordecai bowed not, nor did him reverence.

Esther 3:5
And when Haman saw that Mordecai bowed not, nor did him reverence, then was Haman full of wrath.

Psalm 89:7
God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to be had in reverence of all them that are about him.

Matthew 21:37
But last of all he sent unto them his son, saying, They will reverence my son.

Mark 12:6
Having yet therefore one son, his wellbeloved, he sent him also last unto them, saying, They will reverence my son.

Luke 20:13
Then said the lord of the vineyard, What shall I do? I will send my beloved son: it may be they will reverence him when they see him.

Ephesians 5:33
Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

Hebrews 12:9
Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Hebrews 12:28
Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
I don't question that we need to have reverence ... but the question IS:
What does reverence mean?
4HIM The definition of reverence is that you uphold the utmost respect and show a sense of fear along with affection for someone whom you love. Dancing and cheering and being especially noisy or carrying on in the presence of God is nt showing respect in His holy place. The last verse Jose quoted about the woman reverencing her husband is the context that I believe best describes it. Woman in Bible times were quiet and not outspoken and they showed respect and fear for their husbands.
Thats the best way I can put it. Everyone is free to show their own kind of affection for the Father, however, if the Bible cleary states to fear Him and show reverence, this is what I will do.
Again ... you have not provided a specific definition of reverence.

My feeling is that it is different with each person. And so to some ... dancing and singing praises to jesus is showing Him reverence.

Do you feel that the people who welcomed Jesus coming into Jeruselum were not reverent? They were dancing and waving palms .. shouting and singing. Were they irreverent?

To each ... his or her own.
I am still waiting to find out if this was considered irreverent.

My point is that there are different ways to be reverent.

God loves each way.
4Him. Not once in any of these verses that mention the term reverence, did I see any hint at dancing around, shouting, etc.

Thats a good point you brought up with the second thing. Are you referring to when Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey? With the people shouting "Hosanna" and laying their clothes on the ground and leaves was it? before Him? That sounds like a victorious celebration. There are times, many, in the Bible where people celebrated after a victory. David sure did. Others sure did. I would not say they were irreverent.

Question for you though. Did they do this in the sanctuary? Or was it outdoors elsewhere?

I believe when Jesus returns again, we will be so intensely happy. I doubt we will keep silent. We will see the great controversy finally ended. In heaven, when we worship before God, I have no reason to believe differently from what the verses indicate. Is that a bad thing? No. Am I saying we'll never shout with joy and such in heaven? No.

When Obama won his election, people erupted : / When Obama is speaking, addressing one thing or another, you can hear a pin drop. Afterword things resume as they were. They may joke around with the president. Is that disrespectful? No. But while he is up speaking, people show him reverence you could say, no? Why him and why not God?

Am I having any success showing a difference? I think these examples get the job done in defining reverence.
For sure .... there is nothing that says you can't swing your hips and wave your hand in praise to God. In fact we are told we SHOULD raise our hands to God.
I hear that, but I can't help to ask, why is none of that dancing and such mentioned in any, not even one, of the verses that dealt with reverence?

I do not believe it is irreverent to shout praise and celebrate as did David at times, as did the people when Jesus rode on a donkey. These were not instances in the sanctuary.

Idk about using a Kevin Bacon quote to go up against 13 instances of Scripture lol. Thats a lil unfair to Mr. Bacon lol. I don't think anyone can say I'm isolating texts or any of that, I gave all I could find on the topic. There was simply no shouting or dancing etc when the term reverence came up. Out of 13 times, it could have appeared once, but it didn't, or feel free to let me know if I missed it. I'd be fine with that.

Again, I'm not saying we should never celebrate as in some of the circumstances we've seen.

Great 3 verses. I gotta ask though, did any of these take place in the sanctuary? There can be a concert in church, cool. There could be, I don't know, other activities, pathfinders, anything.. where some of these things would work better with. Someone before had mentioned though, (maybe I'm adding more or leaving out but trying for something similiar lol) when we go to court, we are really, really reverent there. Do we shout and clap? When things get a little loud does the judge not shout, order? Why give men that type of respect but question it when it goes God's direction? I think the sanctuary is more important than a courtroom, by far.

Hmm... I'ma have to look into verses with the word "praise" then and see how that goes, which will be great I'm sure lol. Always good to find out more.
The problem is that none of your quotes were specific about anything to do as far as reverence.
We also saw what wasn't done. So where do we go from here?
No, the 3 verses are fine lol. I'm saying "his" quote at the end there, again his quote, not a Bible quote. The three verses are fine, in context. These verses didn't show me there was dancing in the sanctuary on a Sabbath, u kno? They showed there was dancing, they showed me there was a time and place for dancing, and I forgot what the other verse said now lol, my bad. But I didn't see the time and place being in the sanctuary on even a Sabbath at that.

Thats what I was tryna say.

Only a small question too, almost forgot. Its great I'm sure to many he stood up and won up against all those who opposed him in that town, and I have not seen the movie, so then I gotta take your word for it. How did that movie, or how was the dancing in the movie work to the glory of God, as Mr. Bacon wanted to use Scripture to defend his point of view.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service