Adventist Online

The Bible's most notoriously erotic book, the Song of Solomon is said to be a symbolic dramatization of the love relationship between God and his chosen people, and between Christ and his bride, the church. From your own reading, can you see how this interpretation was arrived at? Or do you have another take you can share with us?

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gene I am not aware of any Bible scripture for what you are saying about "gods" with a little "g".  Sounds like Mormonism or new age.  You have any scripture for this?

So, Raymond

Taking a look at what the bible says about this future, this can be seen in a number of text. Also, you must understand that God uses our physical world to demonstrate the spiritual. Marriage of example is a God plan, but it is played out in our physical lives for the purpose of our understanding of the spiritual implications of family.

1John 3:2 says,

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Father, son, children, husband, wife, bride. All of these denote family, and is something we identify with as human beings.

A son of Raymond is just like Raymond. If you have an offspring, I’m sure your offspring looks like you; human.

The apostle says, we shall be like him. Well, how is him or what is him like? Is he not God? The answer and conclusion are obvious, he is God, and we shall be gods like him.

Luke 20:36 says,

In fact, they can no longer die, because they are like the angels. And since they are sons of the resurrection, they are sons of God.

As I explained to Jason, they are like the angels because they can no longer die, but their nature or the positions are different since they are sons of the resurrection, they are sons of God. The son or the children takes on the nature and name of the father. My son has my family name, and so will the children of God because they will be god as God.

Jason thinks we will take the place of angels, but God never called an angel son.

Hebrews 1:5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

Here again is something many don’t understand. When did Jesus become the Son again? Hebrews says,

…Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

What day was this day that he was begotten again as a son? Consider Romans 1:3

3regarding His Son, who was a descendant of David according to flesh, 4and who through the Spirit of holiness was declared with power to be the Son of God by His resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord.

In the flesh, Jesus was a descendant of David. In other words, he looked like his father David. But through the Spirit of holiness he was declared with power to be the Son of God by His resurrection from the dead.

It was through the resurrection from the dead that Jesus was born again with power to be the Son of God, as we will also. For me it is clear that the scriptures are showing we are to be gods as Jesus is God now. This is the only way we can rule and judge with him.

At this point in life I would just look forward to heaven and being in a right relationship with God.  Remember Eve got all caught up in the lie that was she would be "like" God.  Thanks for the scripture. 

Of all the responses here, I prefer the first one by Elijah. It has to do with how the supposed parallel holds up. The Song and Hosea are two completely different narratives, and only one states explicitly that it is symbolic of the relationship between God and his people. The other is entangled in so many questions, nearly all of which--as Elijah recognizes in citing the article's closing paragraph--have to do with Solomon's baggage.

With so little that's known about this mysterious book, what real reason is there to insist on the dubious conventional symbolism? Remember, we can find prophetic links anywhere in scripture if that's our mission. It's done all the time by people of all kinds of persuasions. And Ivor Myers happens to be one of those who specialize in that.

Thanks for your reply Roy. As I see it the Book SoS must have some reason for making it into the Bible. As you have pointed out many have very different views as to why the Book SoS is in the Bible, but as we are just imperfect sinful humans we may never fully understand why. Clearly, God has sanctioned the Book to be in the Bible, Jesus did not say anything about the Book. Although we know God said this about the Bible 

Isa 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

So to me, God has some reason for the Book of SoS being there I just do not understand why.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2018   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service