Adventist Online

Given that the year is winding down to another Christmas celebration, to my brothers and sisters, I write to a commence a discussion on the Catholic celebration, Christmas, and their other activities and its implication to us as Seventh - Day Adventist. 

Question:

Given the fact that God condemns and speaks against this form of worship, Christmas, should Seventh - Day Adventist partake in it ? 

Additionally, should One partake in their events of lent, Easter etc?

In other words, We as Seventh-Day Adventist know the Scripture very well, and we know what Revelation 12, 13, 17 & 18 declare to us in respect to Satan ascribe worship through the Papal power; and, how the pope will seek to change laws and times, and blaspheme God. So I am arguing why are we still supporting catholic teaching by indulging in their practices and making excuses for doing so. If God said no - Do not be partakers of her sins...

“Come away from her, my people.

Do not take part in her sins,

or you will be punished with her.

5For her sins are piled as high as heaven,

and God remembers her evil deeds.

Why are so many of us are saying yes we know its not Jesus birthday, but we find it fitting to do x or y.... 

How can you know that these people's teachings are not of God or exalt Him, yet you indulge in their practices?

Views: 1352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry Avi Marie, I am missing something here. Which altar are we referring to? and what is the location/ site?

Please could you refer to some Scripture and/or history?

Stewart,

Judges 6:25,26."Tare down your Father's alter to Baal and cut down the Asherah pole beside it .

25. Then build a proper kind of alter to the Lord your God on the top of this height.

Keith

It goes on to say, " using the wood of the Ashtray pole you cut down, offer the second bull as a burnt offering.

Keith

Thank you for the text, Keith.

I read this piece (Judges 6:25-26) from various other versions, but I cannot see that God had His altar built over the old altar of Baal.

You do see though that the wood of the Asherah pole was used for a burnt offering?

Keith

What Bible are you using? KJV says this

Jdg 6:25  And it came to pass the same night, that the LORD said unto him, Take thy father's young bullock, even the second bullock of seven years old, and throw down the altar of Baal that thy father hath, and cut down the grove that is by it: 26  And build an altar unto the LORD thy God upon the top of this rock, in the ordered place, and take the second bullock, and offer a burnt sacrifice with the wood of the grove which thou shalt cut down.

Yes, I see that.

And yet, to me it seems consistent that something dedicated to Paganism should be consumed on a new altar which is dedicated to the service of the true God.

(I don't think there is any suggestion in the Levitical books that fuel brought for the Altar of Burnt Offerings needed to be 'consecrated'.)

Stewart

Yes it could well be quite right. 

Garth, Gene
Did this article help?. Do celebrate weddings? Do attend funerals?
Mutinta

Mutinta,

The point isn’t wedding or funerals or even one’s personal birthday. My opinion is the issue is that the practice of worldly holidays has completely overtaken the minds of God’s own so called people. We dishonor God with our worship, keeping the commandments of men and not of God. We ought to be Watchers, Priests, the Elect of God; telling the nations of the love and true ways of God. But we can’t, because we’re just like the nations. We shame and disrespect the dignity of God, yet God say’s come out of her my people. God’s people will come out, the question is will you be among them? The only way we can come out is to change our mindset, see what God sees.

Ezekiel 20:18“I said to their children in the wilderness, ‘Do not walk in the statutes of your fathers or keep their ordinances or defile yourselves with their idols. 19‘I am the LORD your God; walk in My statutes and keep My ordinances and observe them. 20‘Sanctify My Sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between Me and you, that you may know that I am the LORD your God.’ 21“But the children rebelled against Me; they did not walk in My statutes, nor were they careful to observe My ordinances, by which, if a man observes them, he will live; they profaned My Sabbaths. So I resolved to pour out My wrath on them, to accomplish My anger against them in the wilderness. 22“But I withdrew My hand and acted for the sake of My name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations in whose sight I had brought them out. 23“Also I swore to them in the wilderness that I would scatter them among the nations and disperse them among the lands, 24because they had not observed My ordinances, but had rejected My statutes and had profaned My Sabbaths, and their eyes were on the idols of their fathers. 25“I also gave them statutes that were not good and ordinances by which they could not live; 26and I pronounced them unclean because of their gifts, in that they caused all their firstborn to pass through the fire so that I might make them desolate, in order that they might know that I am the LORD.”’

Let's look at the historical facts. Firstly the Christian Calendar is not a Roman Catholic idea. Christmas, Easter, Harvest festival etc. are a part of the Christian Calendar.

The apostle Philip went to Ethiopia to support his witness to the Ethiopian civil servant. The royal family, already Jewish by religion, accepted Christ and the Jewish church in Ethiopia followed suite. At that time Ethiopia covered the areas we today call Ethiopia, Sudan, Eretria, Somalia and Kenya. It was a vast empire. The Northern areas of the empire were Jewish by religion since the time of Solomon.  When the Ethiopian church accepted Christ, a new dynamism was created in it and it started to spread like wildfire. The formally pagan areas were converted to Christianity. The priesthood in the church were simply not numerous enough to teach all the new converts so a plan was devised, similar to our SDA daily Sabbath School lesson studies, whereby there was a lesson devised for each day of the year. The year was split into three starting at the natural time in the year for its beginning. The day after the shortest day of the year. Our 24th December. the first third of the year was taken up with the teachings about Jesus life story, starting with his birth (Christmas) and ending in his crucifixion,  and resurrection at Easter. The next third of the year was taken up with the teachings of Jesus, starting with the plan of salvation and ending in the second coming of Christ at the Harvest Festival time. The final third of the year was taken up with teaching how to live as a Christian. This teaching method started around 90AD in Ethiopia and was later adopted by the Syrian, then the Greek and finally the Roman areas of Christendom.

It is true that the Roman Catholic denomination likes to make claim to starting Christmas, but it also makes claim to changing the Sabbath. We don't believe the latter claim, so why believe the former.

The Christian calendar idea was a power for good in the past. In the Middle Ages it kept peoples minds focussed on God as each day had a Christian significance given to it.

Finally, we know that Christ wasn't born on the 24th December. It is simply that the story of Jesus birth was taught on that day. From the historical and Scriptural references, some theologians have concluded that Christ was born in September, which has theological implications regarding the Levitical laws. But that's another subject.

I hope that this historical record helps the reader to understand the facts.

Now lets reflect on how we can utilise this knowledge for the good. Jesus instructs us to take the Gospel into all the world. There are a number of occasions that none believers will attend a church. Weddings, Funerals, Christmas, Easter and Harvest festivals. If we deny the church the right to witness on these occasions, we are not fulfilling Christ's command and are in fact placing a block to the witness of the church.

Thanks for the history lesson, but it sound to me what you’re saying is tell a little white lie. But the obviously problem with that is you become the same as those you’re telling a little white lie too. In Matthew Jesus says,

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations…teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service