Adventist Online

Church’s view on gays, lesbians adjusted to emphasize ‘compassion’

What do you guys think about this, isn't homosexuality an abomination?

http://news.adventist.org/en/archive/articles/2012/10/17/churchs-vi...

Views: 1766

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am merely going by your own statements.  I have nothing else to work from.

No.  You did not quote statements.  You summarized some else's statements and beliefs in your own words.  You did this in a manner not consistent with the original statements.  You got it wrong (as evidenced by the other poster saying "No i did not but thanks for trying to imply it and bearing false witness against me.")

Characterizing others as you have done is not appropriate and forbidden by our Site Rules & Guidelines.

6.  Only rebut issues, NOT the people who write them.  Do not negatively characterize others' positions or beliefs with your own value judgment.  Simply state how you think the belief is wrong and what you believe the correct interpretation is, while giving your basis for your belief.
7.  Don't put words in other people's mouths that they have never said. (This does not, of course, prohibit quoting their words from previous posts.)

Please review all our Site Rules & Guidelines as well as their basis quotes.

God bless

"Scripture is literally thousands of years old. So not everything and every word in scripture used back there in time actually has the exact same meaning as of today. So to truly find out what the scriptures talk about there has to be some kind of research and exploring to happen. Luckily we have an universal and acknowledged authorative reference to look it up." Is not a direct quote?  My apologies.

The point is you quoted me and than applied your view onto that quote and your assumptions instead of what was actually really said and stated.

And as i explained already every major bible translation is doing exactly what i said for the very reason that meaning of words change with time and culture. 

If the translators would stick with the bible of 1545 from Luther a big chunk of the verses would not mean anything to us today or have the wrong meaning. This has nothing to do with what you accused me of.

Regards

p.s.: Please check your KJV bible versions and look it up yourself how that translation changed over time if you do not belief me but please dont accuse me of abandoning scripture by applying standards everyone should use but often is forgotten.

Hi Manuela,

You can check the original meaning of the words in Hebrew and Greek right online with strongs numbers on some websites.  I often do this with reading verses.  You can get more perspective from doing that and checking different versions.  They meanings are usually fairly close to the original language, from my studies.  KJV always puts things in italics if they added the word for clarification.

I don't believe it's reasonable to say that none of our modern translations give us what is close to a true picture for what it says- especially when you can directly check the original language with many of them.

Sorry, I hope that's addressing what you were saing -I haven't read all the previous comments, only answered one comment.  

God bless and happy Sabbath to you!

"In fact by applying the todays meaning of the word on the different meaning of the word back than we take scripture out of its context."  From what I understand from what you've posted, to support this idea you gave an example of how in Paul's time it was considered morally acceptable to have a slave for homosexual purposes.

I would argue that throughout the history of the world sexual perversion along with idolatry (which usually go hand in hand) have existed in culture to a greater or lesser degree and God has cried out against them through the Bible writings.  It sometimes uses a term that means homosexual, but often it's just a story or statement describing it in simple, unmistakable terms and calling it an abomination.  There are so many verses against homosexuality in which there can be no mistaking the meaning.  

It's not accurate to suggest that because the Bible is thousands of years old we can't understand the meaning.  On the contrary, we must be careful not to seek to distort the meaning or seek to change it, as 2 Peter 3:16 warns.

May the Lord bless you.

COURTING:to attempt to gain favor,applause or decision (pro)

the reason why i say that GOD is pro homosexual is that has been a key to my spiritual survival after decades of listening to well intentioned but poorly informed Christians and politicians and family and friends and enemies and strangers that GOD doesn't love gays

it got so bad as as a teen that i jumped face first of my parents two story Victorian house unto the solid concrete like ground

i survived BTW

:P

GOD worked into my heart thru scriptures and a special SDA minister (at age 39) that JESUS really does love me as i stand now

all of me!

the gays here (christian or not need to hear that)

and the rest also need to hear that too

that kind of love frees you to obey HIM out of abundance of the heart made full

God is also for you

where you stand

where you are

who you are

all of you people

God is mad about you

whenever you hear GOD loves gays

or GOD is pro sinner

put yourself in  there

whatever you struggle with

or dont struggle with :)

GOD bless you all!

1st John 4:10
This is love: not that we have loved God, but that he loved us first and sent his Son to be the atoning sacrifice for our sins.

#maybe we should make a new thread on this :D

"Scripture is literally thousands of years old. So not everything and every word in scripture used back there in time actually has the exact same meaning as of todaySo to truly find out what the scriptures talk about there has to be some kind of research and exploring to happen. Luckily we have an universal and acknowledged authorative reference to look it up." Is not a direct quote?  My apologies.

im glad u said that!

take a look at the culture of the Israelites and surrounding pagan rituals when Leviticus was written

i am not saying i come to the same conclusion with them

i would never say that

but a defiantly worth a look

I cannot bear to listen to this abomination. The video is basically saying that homosexuality is not sin but  idolatry is. He further states that the bible nowhere prohibits same sex couples???  

Why did you post this if you do not agree with it MFG? 

I cannot bear to listen to this abomination. The video is basically saying that homosexuality is not sin but  idolatry is. He further states that the bible nowhere prohibits same sex couples???  

Why did you post this if you do not agree with it MFG? 

.................................................................................................................

the topic at hand is Homosexuality

as gay man i have read and watched everything on it longer than u been on this earth

both pro and con

(if i only listened to con i would have been dead by now)

and i invite others to do the same

if not

thats ok

God bless you Jason M.

So, you are arguing that scripture has no meaning?  Or, is it, that only the parts that are objectionable have no meaning?  That was the point I was trying to get at earlier in my clumsy way.

So, you are arguing that scripture has no meaning?  Or, is it, that only the parts that are objectionable have no meaning?  That was the point I was trying to get at earlier in my clumsy way.

all scriptures have meaning

problem is we let our culture define it

not their culture

as i said i dont say i agree with the conclusions

i would never say that

but its food for thought

esp with those that struggle with it

God bless you Heisenberg

That is my objection.  As a graduate of philosophy I understand what moral relativism is.  It means that the eddies and whims of society define morality, rather than any given standard.  If I were to identify with a philosopher, I would suppose it is closest to Immanuel Kant and that the concept that there is an immutable independent moral code.  Moral relativism is organized by no one or any standard.  This typically leads to a hedonic or a utilitarian concept.

Moral relativism has led to many problems in the world.  It has declared in the past the slavery and racism were acceptable.  It has also led to the concept that certain people based on race or religion are expendable.  It is a morality dictated by the individual or majority rule, or both.  It leads to terms such as "my truth" or "your truth" rather than The Truth. 

When we allow current culture and society to dictate God rather than allowing God to dictate to us, all is lost.

RSS

Site Sponsors

Adventist Single?
Meet other Single
Adventists here:
Join Free

USA members:

Support AO by
using this link:
Amazon.com

© 2019   Created by Clark P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service